Fran All Time Starting 5

G- Clemmons (perimeter defense - decent ball handler)

G- Marble (best guard in the era IMO. Can help handle primarily ballhandling)

G- Moss (not my favorite pick but a good set shooter and okay defender)

F- Uthoff (best player in Fran era)

C- Cole (good rebounder solid defender)

Strengths:
Plenty of scoring & 3pt shooting with Uthoff, Marble, Moss. Enough ball handling with Clemmons and Marble. Best steals guy in Fran era in Marble and best blocks guy in JU.

Weaknesses: Rebounding might be a slight concern. Given Moss’s lack of consistency having him as a 3rd scorer could be an issue on some nights.

JU and Marble carry this club to at least a sweet 16.

Cartwright
Marble
Uthoff
Basabe
Cole
Wow! Four of those five played in Fran's first year when we went 10-22.

Cartwright
Gatens
Wiescamp
White
Cole

I just went three deep from that team myself. White is probably my alltime favorite Fran era hawk and had to be on my team.

Cartwright -2
Gatens - 3
Uthoff - 5
Basabe -3
Cole - 1

Cole is getting a lot of love here. Great player-rotten timing. Had to hold down the fort in the middle at 6'7 and with a recontructed knee. Steve Alford, in a rare show of class, texted Dolphin on Cole's Senior Day in 2011 and told Dolph that leaving Cole behind and not getting to coach him was one of his biggest regrets in coaching.

Shocking at some of these selections . Moss shouldn’t even start now with this bunch. Point guard Marble.....shooting guard Jok small forward ......White..........power forward Uthoff.....Center Olesani

Cole is getting a lot of love here. Great player-rotten timing. Had to hold down the fort in the middle at 6'7 and with a recontructed knee. Steve Alford, in a rare show of class, texted Dolphin on Cole's Senior Day in 2011 and told Dolph that leaving Cole behind and not getting to coach him was one of his biggest regrets in coaching.
Cole was a bargain at $1.

This thread tells you all you need to know about the fran era. Time to turn the page. If there is one thing to be learned from history, you must be able to recruit in order to coach in Iowa City. Unless you are ferentz and hoodwink everyone into thinking you are good that is.

Reactions: DJL
This thread tells you all you need to know about the fran era. Time to turn the page. If there is one thing to be learned from history, you must be able to recruit in order to coach in Iowa City. Unless you are ferentz and hoodwink everyone into thinking you are good that is.
Thanks for playing

Shocking at some of these selections . Moss shouldn’t even start now with this bunch. Point guard Marble.....shooting guard Jok small forward ......White..........power forward Uthoff.....Center Olesani
I think you went over budget. We were supposed to spend only $15. Otherwise it's a good lineup.

Kind of a weird 'All Time' list if you can't include the best players at each position...but what the heck, I'll bite:

Uthoff, Olesani, Pemsl, Gatens, Clemmons. You could do some damage with that team! Olesani is the rim-protector the current team lacks, plus he's got some offensive talent. Uthoff can hurt you anywhere inside and out from the 3-spot. Pemsl is the rebounder/enforcer inside. At the guards you've got the best defending guard of the Fran era, plus a pure shooting guard. This team can defend out front and under the basket, shoot, rebound, and play with attitude.

Similar to smitharooney's list, but I got sick thinking of what backcourt defense would look like with Jok and Mac.

If you're trying to say that Fran inherited most of the players on these teams, your only partially right. There were good bargains on those early teams in the context of the rules of this game as other posters have pointed out, and not just Cole.

Wow! Four of those five played in Fran's first year when we went 10-22.

Cartwright
Gatens
Wiescamp
White
Cole

I just went three deep from that team myself. White is probably my alltime favorite Fran era hawk and had to be on my team.
It’s all about value. Cole at $1 and Marble at $4 are the best values on there. Marble should be $5 ahead of Jok quite frankly.

Going to do this in every thread?

There are four first team all B1G players on that list (including one All American). Two B1G 6th men of the year and a few other guys who were 2nd team honorable mention level.

There are limitations on that list but it’s far from embarrassing for a program.

Latest posts