Fran All Time Starting 5

Uthoff
White
Moss (extra shooting from the outside. 40% career from 3, can drive, can catch fire)
Cartwright (ball handler, facilitator, quickness, can penetrate and kick)
Cole (size, hustle, muscle)

Just like any NBA team would do, you grab the best 2 players possible and then build a team around them.

Shocking at some of these selections . Moss shouldn’t even start now with this bunch. Point guard Marble.....shooting guard Jok small forward ......White..........power forward Uthoff.....Center Olesani

Moss is a 40% 3-point shooter for his Iowa career. That's better than Jok, Better than Uthoff, better than Marble, better than Gatens. Moss can be clueless on defense sometimes, and seems to disappear for long stretches which is partially his fault and a lot of Fran's fault...IMO.

Its not much different than Wieskamp. Right now Iowa's offense starts with Bohannon and ends with Cook about 75% of the time. Meanwhile Wieskamp might touch the ball every 5th possession. Truly mind boggling.

If we dare go back to the "true point guard" discussion...a "true point guard" could penetrate, draw defenders, and kick out to Moss/Wieskamp for wide open 3s that they have proven they can hit at a 40% clip. Unfortunately we have Bohannon and Connor who absolutely wilt with a defender in their face...and every Big Ten defense knows this.

Moss is a 40% 3-point shooter for his Iowa career. That's better than Jok, Better than Uthoff, better than Marble, better than Gatens. Moss can be clueless on defense sometimes, and seems to disappear for long stretches which is partially his fault and a lot of Fran's fault...IMO.

Its not much different than Wieskamp. Right now Iowa's offense starts with Bohannon and ends with Cook about 75% of the time. Meanwhile Wieskamp might touch the ball every 5th possession. Truly mind boggling.

If we dare go back to the "true point guard" discussion...a "true point guard" could penetrate, draw defenders, and kick out to Moss/Wieskamp for wide open 3s that they have proven they can hit at a 40% clip. Unfortunately we have Bohannon and Connor who absolutely wilt with a defender in their face...and every Big Ten defense knows this.
Jok shot better in clutch situations than Moss. How come we never try different combinations with the starting lineup? Start Kreiner with cook once in awhile or Kreiner with Garza etc. shake it up . Is Fran scared of pissing off players ???

Jok shot better in clutch situations than Moss. How come we never try different combinations with the starting lineup? Start Kreiner with cook once in awhile or Kreiner with Garza etc. shake it up . Is Fran scared of pissing off players ???

I think its more that Fran is stubborn. He wants to beat teams his way. He wants to force teams to play his style. etc. So even when teams adjust, Fran doesnt, and hence we have these late season slumps.

This thread tells you all you need to know about the fran era. Time to turn the page. If there is one thing to be learned from history, you must be able to recruit in order to coach in Iowa City. Unless you are ferentz and hoodwink everyone into thinking you are good that is.

It takes more than 9 years to go 5 deep at every position with good players. Terrible talent the first year, lots of 4 year starters, and some guys on the newest teams are still young. For all we know, guys like Nunge, Fredrick, and even Connor will make this list look way better down the road.

Clemmons - 3 BPM = 4.5
Marble - 4 BPM = 8.5
May - 2 BPM = 7.2
White - 5 BPM = 11.8
Cole - 1 BPM = 5.1

This unit would be a defensive juggernaut of high effort players and I don't think you'd be able to keep them from getting to the rim. If I had more money, I'd have swapped Jok on here for some more consistent shooting. At this point, I couldn't take Wieskamp, but I'd pony up the cash for a senior Wieskamp somehow.

Clemmons- $3
Gatens $3
Weiskamp- $4
Cook - $4
Cole- $1

Clemmons for D. Gatens for shooting. Weiskamp for balance. Cook for inside. Cole for value and can spread the floor with the mid range jump shot to give Cook more space inside.

This thread tells you all you need to know about the fran era. Time to turn the page. If there is one thing to be learned from history, you must be able to recruit in order to coach in Iowa City. Unless you are ferentz and hoodwink everyone into thinking you are good that is.
297.png

4 minutes into the game it’s all shook up anyway. Especially in the second half when it’s a wholesale line change

This was fun. Since we have never had a good point guard or complete center, I went bargain there and then filled in the 2-4 with talent. My team is long, plays damn good D, and has enough offense to be dangerous.

1 Connor (only because of price)
3 Gatens (not as good a scorer as Dev and Jok, but the boy could play D)
5 Uthoff (no brainer. Best overall player of the Fran era, IMHO)
5 White (there was such a drop off here behind White)
1 Cole (all I could afford. Also avoided having an all white team)

I would like to see you do this for all time Hawks, that would be tough.

Clemons 3
Jok 5
Joe W. 4
Kriener 2
Pemsl 1

Cartwright because there is hardly any difference between the top 4 players so might as well save some money. Marble because he's by far the best value at the 2. Wieskamp because he's the best all around player in the Fran era, he just hasn't had a chance to prove it yet. That leaves me with 5 bucks so I can't take White. I think the best combo for 5 bucks is easily Cook and Cole. I also think Cole would be the perfect compliment to Cook motivation wise.

Good players but a very Fran lineup. No point guard, not much quickness on D

But not slow either, and VERY long. Also a great rebounding team. At first I thought what you were thinking. But after more thought I think it would be a great lineup. Exactly what Fran has envisioned with his positionless lineups.

Cartwright because there is hardly any difference between the top 4 players so might as well save some money. Marble because he's by far the best value at the 2. Wieskamp because he's the best all around player in the Fran era, he just hasn't had a chance to prove it yet. That leaves me with 5 bucks so I can't take White. I think the best combo for 5 bucks is easily Cook and Cole. I also think Cole would be the perfect compliment to Cook motivation wise.

I had a similar thought but I went with Clemmons and Gatens because I just don’t think that Cartwright and Marble combo provides enough 3 pt shooting.

I had a similar thought but I went with Clemmons and Gatens because I just don’t think that Cartwright and Marble combo provides enough 3 pt shooting.

My team is weak on 3 point shooting for sure. Neither the 4 or 5 can shoot them at all. Marble is good enough and Wieskamp is good. But that's not enough in today's game.

If you're trying to say that Fran inherited most of the players on these teams, your only partially right. There were good bargains on those early teams in the context of the rules of this game as other posters have pointed out, and not just Cole.
No. I’m saying redface can’t recruit

Latest posts