Foster should have waited.

But...he’s not...so there’s that. Difference in this year’s team is that we finally have a true point and the offense goes through garza like it should have all along. Roles are abound and while it isn’t a deep team, they understand who they are, what strengths and weaknesses are, play according to roles and have been fairly steady. The biggest question will be the second half b10 slide that usually happens to Red face’s teams. Past teams shut him off at some point in the season. Simply get tired of playing for him. We’ll see if his style has that same effect down the backstretch this year.

Um...I think it's more a case of teams figuring us out. And that will be tougher this season.

Past Fran teams made opponents pay for crashing the offensive glass. Second half of the season, they don't send four guys to the glass. Sort of akin to 2018, when teams figured out the way to combat Rastetter's rugby punts that got 20 yards of roll-bounce by using an up-man in punt returns.

This team isn't dependent solely on fast break, transition, or 3-point shooting. This team can score inside, outside, half-court, or transition. It will be much tougher for opponents to scout for tendencies. Plus, some of the toughest opponents we will only play once (MSU, O$U, Indiana, Wisconsin). While the back of the schedule is certainly tough, any losses will come on the road and/or to teams that are just "better" (MSU for certain, Maryland in their house, Illinois in their house).

I will not be shocked if we go 12-8 in conference. I will also not be shocked if we go 9-11.

If you want to do even more of a hindsight thing imagine DJ Carton on this current Iowa squad. With our shooters and Garza, Carton would be able to do whatever he really wants off the dribble.

At OSU he’s coming off the bench and they have some other volume shooters. If he’s only a one or two year guy, I gotta wonder if he wouldn’t have been better off in Iowa’s uptempo high powered offensive system. I think we’d be a legitimate top 10 team with Carton right now.

Yep Carton is the one that hurts, not Foster. Especially if our core all comes back next year... Carton on that team could make it one of the best ever at Iowa.

Yep Carton is the one that hurts, not Foster. Especially if our core all comes back next year... Carton on that team could make it one of the best ever at Iowa.
I thought the same as well. And when Foster didn't come I figured it was mostly due to not getting Carton. I had quite the sky is falling attitude earlier on this season. If for no other reason then the 180 on that line of thinking I now have is why Fran gets coach of the year to me. He has had Garza, JW, CJF the whole team really playing great and above what expectations were. Well JW is pretty much where most of us thought he'd be. But everyone else... Nobody thought would be doing as well as they are. Future may not be as bumpy as I'd thought and I'm totally happy being wrong about it

I thought the same as well. And when Foster didn't come I figured it was mostly due to not getting Carton. I had quite the sky is falling attitude earlier on this season. If for no other reason then the 180 on that line of thinking I now have is why Fran gets coach of the year to me. He has had Garza, JW, CJF the whole team really playing great and above what expectations were. Well JW is pretty much where most of us thought he'd be. But everyone else... Nobody thought would be doing as well as they are. Future may not be as bumpy as I'd thought and I'm totally happy being wrong about it

Sure helps when you have a guy putting up 25 pts consistently. Garza was good we all knew that, but right now he has single handedly taken the team to another level with his consistency and All American Play.

But...he’s not...so there’s that. Difference in this year’s team is that we finally have a true point and the offense goes through garza like it should have all along. Roles are abound and while it isn’t a deep team, they understand who they are, what strengths and weaknesses are, play according to roles and have been fairly steady. The biggest question will be the second half b10 slide that usually happens to Red face’s teams. Past teams shut him off at some point in the season. Simply get tired of playing for him. We’ll see if his style has that same effect down the backstretch this year.

Dumb.

Sure helps when you have a guy putting up 25 pts consistently. Garza was good we all knew that, but right now he has single handedly taken the team to another level with his consistency and All American Play.
For sure. There's no single one thing more important then what all he's done. But it's taken all the others combined as well for the wins to be happening. We haven't been a one man band by any means. Frans done a great job by no means we shouldn't take anything away from him

Foster signed his LOI with Iowa State, which is what he should have done because that’s where he wants to go.

As an 18 year old trying to make an objective decision about your future, you do the best you can with the information you have. If he hadn't signed the LOI and had to sign one today, would he make the same choice seeing how Garza has developed? I'm sure he'd tell you yes because he's already signed, but if he truly grew up a Hawk fan then I kind of doubt it.

The funny thing is with Fran fades is that he's never had a team that was positioned to miss the tournament in mid February fade down the stretch and only one of his teams that made the tournament finished strong.

That means his average-bad teams never get worse, his good teams never get better (except one time), and his good teams never fade enough to miss the tourney. It's kinda a weird deal. The only sense I can make of it is when you get really good, your games become huge to your opponent and they bring extra energy to that game. You could see it in the MSU/Indiana game last night. The crowd was rocking from opening tip and the players were jacked. No way they bring it like that unless they are playing a top ranked team. Fran's good teams were really good, they just weren't good enough to blow out teams giving it their all, and they needed to blow out teams because they couldn't close tight games.

I'm not sure if I remember right but was CJ gone in those two games?
He played the 1st half at Penn State hurt and they decide he couldn't go the 2nd half. Then missed the whole Nebraska game. He also missed the Maryland game where we rolled them.

Iowa was never in play for Carton. He always felt he was too talented to play for the Hawks. I guess before we mock him for his choice, we should beat Ohio St. this year (and hell, every year) to prove to him he made the wrong decision.