Forde: Iowa in CF Playoff race

tweeterhawk

Just barely, but still...

Forde-Yard Dash: How wide open is the College Football Playoff race?

Iowa (9). The Hawkeyes might have the easiest Power 5 path to 12-0, and the hardest to 13-0. They could be undefeated and still a double-digit underdog in the Big Ten championship game. But if they get there and shock the champion of the East, that might be all the validation they need. Strength of schedule would get a nice boost if Pittsburgh wins its division of the ACC, but there is otherwise no meat on the schedule bone. Any loss should be instant playoff elimination.

I would only disagree with Forde that a win in the BT Champ. game "might" put them in the playoff. A win "will" do so. There are a lot of mountains to climb in order to get there. I'm going to enjoy the ride.

Forde has picked against us on BTN Football & Beyond most of the year, although I think he picked us over NW. I know he picked ISU and Pitt.

He is better than some, not as good as some others. Overall, I guess I don't find him objectionable.

But how credible is a poll that is rewarding Stanford and Alabama, and keeping Ole Miss in after a loss to a non-P5? And of course, they have to now rave about that non-P5 to justify other poll spots.

All we can do is enjoy the Hawks when they win, complain about officiating when they don't :)

I would only disagree with Forde that a win in the BT Champ. game "might" put them in the playoff. A win "will" do so. There are a lot of mountains to climb in order to get there. I'm going to enjoy the ride.

I thought this at first but there is a very, very unlikely scenario in which 5 teams were undefeated after regular season/conference championships.

I thought this at first but there is a very, very unlikely scenario in which 5 teams were undefeated after regular season/conference championships.

True. There is a chance that Utah, Clemson, and a big 12 team all go undefeated and there is almost no likelihood of even a 1 loss SEC team being excluded. That IA would be passed on for a Utah, Big 12 team, or Clemson would not surprise me in the least especially considering the more "marquee" wins they have on their schedules (at this point in time).

Not to say that we aren't unfavorably looked down upon by the talking heads, but what would be the benefit of hyping a Utah over an Iowa on a national stage?

I don't think it matters who is and is not undefeated. If Iowa is 12-0 and OSU or MSU is undefeated going into the B1G Championship and either 1 or 2 in the end of regular season playoff ranking AND Iowa beats them, that's just like a playoff win and they are in, period. Over who? Well, that would be either Clemson/FSU or Utah IMO. That's not a homer opinion. It just makes too much sense.

Not to say that we aren't unfavorably looked down upon by the talking heads, but what would be the benefit of hyping a Utah over an Iowa on a national stage?

I personally see no benefit, but nationally there would certainly be some demographic incentive to include a PAC12 team. I'm not saying that one "deserves" it over another but I do see a 2002 type scenario playing out where w/ 1 loss or zero we are bound to play outside of the more prestigious setting solely based on national perception. In 02 there was no chance of us bumping OSU or Miami, it may just play out that way this year too. Not to say I'd be in agreement though.

My wish is that we'd just hurry up and get to the point where we have just 4 Power conferences, then the conference championship games would be the first round of the playoffs.

Solves all the problems.

My wish is that we'd just hurry up and get to the point where we have just 4 Power conferences, then the conference championship games would be the first round of the playoffs.

Solves all the problems.

This will probably happen. It won't make me happy though. I like diversity.

I think the real goal is a division championship and an opportunity to play for the Big Ten title! You need a healthy team and a healthy QB to do that. Pull your starters every chance you have

#1 tOSU needs to go undefeated and we need to beat them. If tOSU limps in to Indy with a loss to Michigan or someone else and we beat them it may not mean as much if we beat them. By all accounts looking at the other schedules we could be high as #5 by the time we enter Indy.

So if you're saying no way, who gets left out with 5 undefeated teams? The ACC team, Big 12 team, or Utah?

I agree that at 13-0 they would not be left out. I think the BIG is rated the 2nd highest conference and if Iowa is 13-0 & beats what could be still the #1 rated team in Ohio St or a #2-4 rated team in Michigan St, they would be in.

The BIG surely wouldn't get two teams in this year.

But, this is all moot, as there are so many games left and the picture might become clearer in the weeks ahead.

I agree that at 13-0 they would not be left out. I think the BIG is rated the 2nd highest conference and if Iowa is 13-0 & beats what could be still the #1 rated team in Ohio St or a #2-4 rated team in Michigan St, they would be in.

The BIG surely wouldn't get two teams in this year.

But, this is all moot, as there are so many games left and the picture might become clearer in the weeks ahead.

But who gets left out is my question. In the hypothetical 5 undefeated scenario.

But who gets left out is my question. In the hypothetical 5 undefeated scenario.

Clemson undoubtedly would get in before us. Wins over Notre Dame and the Seminoles. Won at Louisville and potentially on the road in Miami. ACC title game as well (Duke/Pitt?)

Couldn't support the notion of Utah "deserving" it more w/ their schedule but leaving the West Coast/PAC12 out w/ a 13-0 contender just doesn't seem likely.

TCU or Baylor taken in a heartbeat over IA (not that I agree)

I would say Utah should be left out.

Pat Forde also said on the DP Show today that he he is skeptical of the Louisville situation because L'ville players don't need hookers when they can already sleep with any girl on campus. Okay, Pat.

Latest posts