For those who have traveled in the past with HN or the IU to bowls

TheRickHawk

Please give feedback on ticket locations, travel, hotel and overall experience, going with Hawkeye Nation Bowl Charters vs The University of Iowa Alumni Charters to bowl games. Want to be ready with the trigger, when the hawks get chosen to go either to Pasadena, or somewhere else warm, and fun for a January bowl game! What say you experienced bowl charter travelers? I assume with both you have to setup your own flight to the location? Any feedback would be great! Thanks!
BTW, I've been to one bowl, the 2003 Outback bowl where we took down the Florida Gators! We did all our own plans, and it was fun, but looking for a more complete experience with fellow Hawk fans!

We have been to every bowl game since the 2003 Orange Bowl (2002 season). That was the only bowl game that we went to on a bowl charter and I don't think I'd ever do it again. The problem is, you don't have good seats for the bowl, you have to travel almost everywhere with the same group of people, and the trip is typically very short and it costs so much!

If I was old and I was only interested in the bowl, I had trouble getting around in a strange city, and wasn't much looking for the total "experience"' then I suppose they'd be the way to go. I want to see the entire city, hit the bars, go to all of the events and have great seats for the game. Most of that can be done much cheaper on your own.

What is the best option to get the best seats at the game?

I usually buy them directly from the bowl's website. It's not always clear which side our fans will be sitting on, but most of the bowl games we've been to, the Hawkeye fans far outnumber the opposing teams fans, so you're usually sitting amongst plenty of Hawk fans either way.

Went to both Orange Bowls. Got the seats through the Orange Bowl. Both times we were about 2/3 up the way in the stadium & between the 35-40 yard lines. Made our own arrangements for travel & lodging. Both times there were a lot of Hawk fans staying at the motel.

Those were the only two bowl games that we have gone to. It was a lot cheaper than any package with far better seats. Again, those were the only two bowl games that we have attended. Just our experience.

I've been to 1 bowl game...the 2003 Orange Bowl, and we used Jon's charter package. On the whole, it was an enjoyable experience. I did not feel the trip was too short and most of our time was "free" time...meaning we could go wherever we wanted and do whatever we wanted. We rented a car (very inexpensive) for our sightseeing. The only things that were done with the group were the flights there and back, and the bus trips to the Hawkeye Huddle and game.

Pros: convenience...arrangements/travel/tickets all done for you...you travel with fellow Hawk fans...the hotel is nice.

Cons: expensive...tickets are not very good seats (none of the travel/alumni seats are).

Most charters have a "no ticket" option so you can always get your own.

Yes you can go cheaper. But if you don't want the hassle and want everything taken care of for you...then take a charter.

Please give feedback on ticket locations, travel, hotel and overall experience, going with Hawkeye Nation Bowl Charters vs The University of Iowa Alumni Charters to bowl games. Want to be ready with the trigger, when the hawks get chosen to go either to Pasadena, or somewhere else warm, and fun for a January bowl game! What say you experienced bowl charter travelers? I assume with both you have to setup your own flight to the location? Any feedback would be great! Thanks!
BTW, I've been to one bowl, the 2003 Outback bowl where we took down the Florida Gators! We did all our own plans, and it was fun, but looking for a more complete experience with fellow Hawk fans!

A lot of things depend on the bowls. The 'bigger' the bowl, the more expensive the package. This year, there will be multiple components, including land only packages in addition to the entire charter experience, plus a hospitality component (meaning tailgate), plus transfers to and from the game from the hotel, etc.

A person can likely arrange their own transportation, hotel, tix, etc, cheaper by doing something that is not a charter package, but there is some awesome convenience to the package if you can swing it. As for tix, our allotment will NOT be a part of Iowa's, as the schools have typically gotten the short shrift on seating...and we have a great in on tix for any of the possible bowls, especially if its the Rose or Holiday.

We WILL NOT be teaming up with the alumni dept this year...and I view that as a positive. Nothing against them, it was just their partners. The person we will most likely be using is who I started doing these with back in 2003...and a trusted fiend. More on that soon and once final decisions have been made.

We'll be sharing more info very soon on what we will be offering this year, allowing folks to reserve there spot before the bowl is finalized, that can also be 100% refundable or transferable.

I went to the 2009 Orange Bowl with the Alumni Association tour and had a good time; however, I would not go with them again. The seats were okay but not great. Pros-- nice hotel, good tailgate before game, good transportation to/from game. Cons-- Mostly old people, seniors (and I am in my 50s). Not a fun party crowd or atmosphere. Good people, just not for me. The packages are nice because they are convenient, but, you pay a little more for convenience. I am a very experienced traveler and could piece it together myself, but, will probably try HN this year.

I've been to five bowls.

Three Outbacks
One Cap-1
One Insight

I always bought tix from the bowl sight.
Always did my own transportation and lodging.

I see no reason to spend a ton of buxx to get bogus seats....and that is why I've never purchased through the Iowa athletic office.

I stay a bit out of town, rent a car, stay relatively cheap, then spend the extra dough on tickets....which is why you go....right?

I'm doing same scenario for the B1G champ game this year...staying an hour out of Indy, spending extra on tickets to get good seats.

I think I went to Gator Bowl in 1983. They weren't far from my house on Navy base. So many Hawks in Carhartts that day! I was on my crutches.

Been to every bowl since the 82 Rose, and you cannot go wrong either way. I prefer making the plans, and just doing it the way we want, but I am sure the charters are a fun way too. Either way we always have a good time, and weather the Hawk's win or lose has been a great tradition that my father started with the Jan 1 1982 Rose.. It has really been a great holiday tradition!!!

82 Rose
82 Peach
83 Gator
84 Freedom
86 Rose
86 Holiday
87 Holiday
88 Peach
91 Rose
93 Alamo
95 Sun
96 Alamo
97 Sun
01 Alamo
03 Orange
04 Outback
05 Capital One
06 Outback
06 Alamo
09 Outback
10 Orange
10 Insight
11 Insight
14 Outback
15 Taxslayer

I've been to five bowls.

Three Outbacks
One Cap-1
One Insight

I see no reason to spend a ton of buxx to get bogus seats....and that is why I've never purchased through the Iowa athletic office.

I stay a bit out of town, rent a car, stay relatively cheap, then spend the extra dough on tickets....which is why you go....right?

I'm doing same scenario for the B1G champ game this year...staying an hour out of Indy, spending extra on tickets to get good seats.

We bought Orange Bowl tickets through the University in 2003. (I think they were $70-$75) We got to the stadium and saw ticket scalpers all over the place. We sold our tickets early to scalpers for what we had in them. We bought tickets from a group of fans about 45 minutes before kickoff for $40.00 a ticket.

We went to a couple Outback bowls and the Cap. One since that time and never bought tickets ahead of time. We have always got tickets for less than face value at the games by being patient. (paid $25.00 per ticket this past weekend in Evanston)

I would not try that for a Rose Bowl though. Certainly would get my tickets early for that one.

This is my experience with bowl game tickets. Cap One and Outback bowl I had a season ticket holder get tickets. I bought 4-5 tickets. Each ticket had an extra $10 added to face value and then a $15 service fee.
Example: Four tickets from University at $50 should have been $200 but instead cost $255. When Iowa went to Alamo Bowl in 2006 and Insight bowl I ordered from sight and a a $50 ticket was $50 and my 5 tickets cost $250. Seats were just as good as season ticket holder who donated money to Univ. The 2010 Orange Bowl I bought tickets from a guy who had a bunch of people back out. I paid $30 a ticket under face value. Outback Bowl with LSU I walked up to stadium and could have bought tickets for $10. I did pay $30 a ticket for very good seats.

Ive been to

Peach
Sun
2 Alamos
2003 Orange Bowl
2004 Outback Bowl

Ive always made my own plans. For the Orange some guy who lives in SW Houston had 8 tickets on the 50. He couldnt go and sold the tickets to Houston Iowa Club members at face. Was awesome(unfortunately we lost). He apologized as had sold his parking passes(I was okay with that). I was unemployed at the time(had gotten a fat package) so we continued on after the game down to the Keys for a couple of nights.

We WILL NOT be teaming up with the alumni dept this year...and I view that as a positive. Nothing against them, it was just their partners. The person we will most likely be using is who I started doing these with back in 2003...and a trusted fiend. More on that soon and once final decisions have been made..

Trusted fiends are hard to find.

I did did the Outback charter with John in 2009 and the Orangebowl via the alumni association in 2010. I think I liked the Outback charter better

Neither was cheap, but if you don't want to mess around and have everything taken care of the bowl charter is good. For the orange bowl I got my own flight but it ended up being more expensive than the charter! The Orange Bowl (welcome to the coldest orange bowl on record) seats were crappy. All the way at the top of that stadium. A bit breezy up there.

The best thing about both was the bus trip to the stadiums. Not worrying about getting there on time and fighting traffic in places you are not familiar was great. Guess one could take a cab though...

That being said, and depending on who I would go with, I might try to wing it. Depends on the deals.

I've been to five bowls.

Three Outbacks
One Cap-1
One Insight

We could take my van...

I have been to 9 or 10 bowl games and have traveled on my own and at times with the alumni group. I agree that with some careful planning, going on your own may be cheaper. The convenience of a group trip is a major plus. One thing to be certain that you plan well ahead: How will you get from your hotel to the game and back again? On tickets: A couple of times when I have gone with a tour, I have purchased my ticket on my own and get a reduced rate from the travel folks. Bowl game travel is expensive. Have not been going the last 3 or 4 years, since for the price of one long weekend I can fish in Canada for about 2 weeks. But, I do love going to bowl games and will likely go this year. Have never seen a Rose Bowl and don't know when I might get the chance so maybe this year...

Latest posts