For those who have traveled in the past with HN or the IU to bowls

I went with Jon's HN charter to the 2009 Outback Bowl.

Pros:
- Almost all of your standard travelling waiting/annoyances were eliminated or reduced to near-zero
- Direct flight to Tampa
- Travelling with all Hawkeye fans was a lot of fun
- Stayed in the same hotel as the coaches/players
- Scheduled Hawkeye events throughout the trip

Cons:
- Cost twice as much as making your own plans
- Game seats were not fantastic...we sat in the end zone

But the single biggest Pro for me was that I had a family medical emergency back home right after the game ended, and the gal in charge of the charter was able to immediately switch us to a different charter flight back home a few hours after the game ended - it took just one phone call and there were no extra charges.

Had we made our own arrangements, that would have much more stressful to deal with.

A lot of things depend on the bowls. The 'bigger' the bowl, the more expensive the package. This year, there will be multiple components, including land only packages in addition to the entire charter experience, plus a hospitality component (meaning tailgate), plus transfers to and from the game from the hotel, etc.

A person can likely arrange their own transportation, hotel, tix, etc, cheaper by doing something that is not a charter package, but there is some awesome convenience to the package if you can swing it. As for tix, our allotment will NOT be a part of Iowa's, as the schools have typically gotten the short shrift on seating...and we have a great in on tix for any of the possible bowls, especially if its the Rose or Holiday.

We WILL NOT be teaming up with the alumni dept this year...and I view that as a positive. Nothing against them, it was just their partners. The person we will most likely be using is who I started doing these with back in 2003...and a trusted fiend. More on that soon and once final decisions have been made.

We'll be sharing more info very soon on what we will be offering this year, allowing folks to reserve there spot before the bowl is finalized, that can also be 100% refundable or transferable.

Thanks Jon, for the reply. This sounds like the way I will probably go this year, to whatever bowl game we get. The idea of not going with the alumni for the tickets is a big selling point for you, and the convenience of the transportation, as well as hanging with fellow hawk fans is what we are looking for! Thank everyone for your great posts with experiences! I can't wait to find out where we are going, but I'm enjoying every game this season until then! Enjoy the ride Hawkeye Nation!

My 2cents worth. Yes you can do it cheaper on your own but can you get a straight flight to your destination,do you need a car,do you need tickets and do you know how to get around wants your there.It really depends on what Bowl were going to as far as if it would be more benificial to do it on your own.When you start adding it up your saving around $300-$400 pp by doing it yourself.Not that much if you consider their taking all of the headaches out of you trying to coordinate everything.Now the waiting to see where we're going.Go Hawks

Going to be interesting... I think if Hawks go to Indy, I'm going. If Hawks go to the Rose Bowl I'm in and I'm leaning toward going to the convenient route of a charter.

Not sure if I will go to any other bowl or just the Rose. I just know I've said for so many years that I wouldn't miss a Rose bowl. Granted it's not what it once meant, but still hard to pass up on.

We could take my van...

321440549098_0.jpg

Does it look anything like this??

A lot of things depend on the bowls. The 'bigger' the bowl, the more expensive the package. This year, there will be multiple components, including land only packages in addition to the entire charter experience, plus a hospitality component (meaning tailgate), plus transfers to and from the game from the hotel, etc.

A person can likely arrange their own transportation, hotel, tix, etc, cheaper by doing something that is not a charter package, but there is some awesome convenience to the package if you can swing it. As for tix, our allotment will NOT be a part of Iowa's, as the schools have typically gotten the short shrift on seating...and we have a great in on tix for any of the possible bowls, especially if its the Rose or Holiday.

We WILL NOT be teaming up with the alumni dept this year...and I view that as a positive. Nothing against them, it was just their partners. The person we will most likely be using is who I started doing these with back in 2003...and a trusted fiend. More on that soon and once final decisions have been made.

We'll be sharing more info very soon on what we will be offering this year, allowing folks to reserve there spot before the bowl is finalized, that can also be 100% refundable or transferable.

JD, if somehow the cards fall into place and we make the Rose Bowl, I am doing your charter. You've got my number, Brah, so hit me up before you release all of the tickets. Hold one back for me. And plz make sure your motel room has a roller cot in it - I will just crash on that so as not to waste another room. Leave wife and kids at home and we'll scare up some furburgers in LA. Also, plz keep me away from brown liquor before the game.

Look man, I'm sorry...but if you're a legit Iowa fan you know that the University of Iowa has never been "IU". That's Indiana.

U of I...IOWA ..even SUI if you want to go old school...but never IU

Last edited:
Look man, I'm sorry...but if you're a legit Iowa fan you know that the University of Iowa has never been "IU". That's Indiana.

U of I...IOWA ..even SUI if you want to go old school...but never IU

Thank you for pointing this out... How does one make that mistake?

Latest posts