For those wanting to lay it all on JVB

Judging by the way JVBearHunter has failed miserably to handle pressure in the past, this scheme sounds like an invitation for the backup QB to start taking snaps with the first team.

If you didn't know anything about either QB coming into the game you would likely label the Northern IL QB the one with the 3-4 year's experience and the UI QB as the one starting his first game.

Their QB will have a far superior season to our QB.

Jon: Some guys can have all the tools, except the ability to slow the game down. This seems to be Vandy's issue.

If this was the first time we saw it, it would be one thing. But it has been exactly the same for three years. There are ways you can minimize the negative impact of this tendency, but you can't coach a cool head. You either have the trait or you don't.

That being said, I just didn't get all the talk about the OLINE. There are just too many really green players on that line.

Their QB will have a far superior season to our QB.

I agree with this. OTOH, I wouldn't expect NIU to put up as many non-QB rushing yards as Iowa this season by a mile.

I'm disappointed too, but come on. You're saying it was the same because it was a poor result. That was not the same offense! Or the same formations! Or the same plays! As to the "lack of flair"-- everyone wanted no huddle. And shotgun. And empty backfields. And two tight ends. And five wides. Guess what? You got all of it today!

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to admit that it's so much less about the plays that get called than it is about the execution of those plays. You can be Mike Leach or Dana Holgerson or Greg Davis or Ken O'Keefe. If guys don't read, block, throw, and catch, the most sophisticated offense in the world isn't going to do anything for them.

Again, not a good offensive performance. I'm disappointed. But this strikes me as the silliest thing to complain about. We couldn't have been more different in terms of scheme and approach if we'd come out and run triple option all game.

AGreed it's about RECRUITING it wouldn't be like this if all our guys were 5 stars. We did get it all today there was lack of execution on the O Line, the receivers and the QB...the only bright spot was our running backs today. Hell everyone was worried about them and they were damn near perfect. Bullock, Garmon, Wiseman etc.

It's not all on JVB but he had some pretty horrendous throws today. He also still seems to rush the game, doesn't stand up well to the pressure and still hasn't learned how to dump the ball when he's about to be sacked ... w/o being called for grounding, at least. The same sort of errors he's made the past three years. A senior should have picked up some of that by now.

I'll finish your paragraph:

He hasn't picked it up by now, and he's not going to. His deficiencies are inherent, they aren't gonna be coached out of him. Uncomfortable truths, but truths nonetheless.

It is not always about throws with QBs. JVB does not do the little things kids are taught in pop warner. #1 - when it is a handoff to the back - he needs to reverse back faking like he has the ball (JVB does not do this). #2 - When it is a play action pass - he needs to fake like the rb actually has the ball. #3 he needs to learn to pump fake left and throw right (not pump right facing the receiver and then come right back to the same receiver). #4 - JVB needs to not zero in on 1 receiver (can't believe this happened at all today - let alone all fckn day)

You are exactly right the one play action ball he had loads of time today his man was 1:1 on the left and he was facing right...kept facing right never taking his eyes off the man that was covered and still threw to the man in the flat that was covered instead of going back to his open flyer going down the left. I think they are generous saying KD is an all conference receiver Soup has NOT upgraded the kids skills.

Its almost as though JVB knows who he's throwing to prior to the snap whether that's the right read or not.

I agree with this. OTOH, I wouldn't expect NIU to put up as many non-QB rushing yards as Iowa this season by a mile.

I would add the caveat that if NIU runs their QB against teams with better D lines and linebackers than ours, he might not have a very long season.

If the Clones win next week, Jon needs to do a pre-emptive strike and ban every known Cyclone account for 2 weeks, and shut down the new user registration functionality for 2 weeks as well. Sure there will be some collateral damage, but sometimes that's acceptable in war.

"I have seen the enemy and it is us." I don't remember my history well enough to remember who said that, but if we get mauled next week Jon better lock down all accounts. :rolleyes: I don't expect that as usually Iowa makes big strides between weeks one and two.

I am concerned about the passing game. Not good when your guy can't even hit the short throws and receivers can't get extra yards. Lack of long throws is worrisome. Looks like Iowa found a new way to struggle at scoring.

JVB is still not as accurate as he needs to be and he holds on to the ball too long because he doesn't want to take ANY chances.

I'll join the "sky is falling" crowd until it's proven otherwise.

I don't have enough pride to not eat crow when it's deserved.

Couple observations

JVB doesn't throw the ball on the roll out very accurately...noticed this in the scrimmage. He missed KMM on a sure touchdown today.

JVB doesn't have any pocket presence and becomes easily rattled. Make no mistake that was some of the worst pass blocking I have seen but a couple plays should have come out much sooner.

When you have those two things your offense is in real trouble.

Can we just not make excuse.JVB played poorly period. Don't need to make excuses about it (the offense is new and hard) ( he wasn't at home). Iowa wasn't prepared for an early season game no shocker in the kf era

It's the first game of a season in which Iowa is breaking in two new coordinators. Trying to draw long-term conclusions this early is folly. I still think it will be 7 or 8 wins.

That said, the book is out on JVB: Blitz him early and often and he gets rattled fast unless the o-line is a brick wall that day. I hope he gets better, but this might be one of those things that never really goes away. We were all enchanted by the near miracle he pulled out in the Horseshoe in '09 when he took the Bucks to OT. But the Bucks sat back in their base defense all day, expecting the raw QB to wilt under the pressure of the road atmosphere alone. Then OT came and the Bucks brought the house and Iowa went backward. In hindsight, it is clear this was an omen of sorts.

Also, just as I was typing this out a news report came across the ESPN ticker that said Damon Bullock was kidnapped by a small gang of genetically engineered pigs from Ames.

At what point do we stop making excuses and call a spade, a spade? Either we have a poor QB, or poor coordinators and head man. I'm going with the first option.

Latest posts