For those wanting to lay it all on JVB

It was windy and the line didn't give him much protection however; even if the short passing game is the way of the new offense Vandy still didn't make those throws. He was overthrowing some 5 yrd passes and bounced a pass to the WR behind the line of scrimmage with no pressure. He also seems to get scared when he's pressured and rather than step up into the pocket and make a throw he often just accepts the sack. I don't lay it all on him but he has alot of work to do. Next week will be even more difficult.

Agree with all of this, ive not been down on Vandeburg untill this game.

It honestly looked on quite a few occasions like he could have got the ball out of his hands to either throw it away or to receivers that were open had he been willing to get hit. He choose to curl up instead.

At what point do we stop making excuses and call a spade, a spade? Either we have a poor QB, or poor coordinators and head man. I'm going with the first option.

Thank you. Is Vandy really the best option Iowa has right now? Or is the head coach being stubborn again in refusing to make a change when HIS starter is struggling? Stop me if you've heard this story before.

After reviewing the game tape, opposing teams will be bringing a lot of blitz at Iowa all year. And most of them will execute as well or better than NIU.

I would think Iowa will be running a lot of drills for screen plays and QB draws.

JVB looks heavier and less mobile this year.

A staple of Kirk Ferntz offenses has been to avoid screens to the RBs because of fear of turnovers.

Its been one of my biggest frustrations with Iowas O. With the heat NIU was bringing a screen to Bullock could have worked nicely and caused them to slow down as well.

I agree too that they should use Vandenburg as a runner a few times a game to keep things honest. Maybe even see a few read options. There was a couple times he could have kept it today and walked for 7 yards.

He's scared. He consistently has his eyes on the pass rush, wont set his feet and feels pressure that isn't there. Not sure how you shake something like that.

IMO....This young man does not seem to have the ability to create many plays...a" by the book" player who, during this game, did not appear to have executed the scripted plays well either... I do understand that the WRs must make their own reads on the field and that JVB obviously has a limited amount of time to wait for their execution but how does he know what they are doing if he doesn't even scan the field? He appeared to have been locked on his #1 option and that's about it...I believe the last play of the first half he had KD in single coverage with 0.03 left on the clock...chuck one in the end zone? Nope...wait for the 5 yd curl to open up and get sacked? Frustrating.
Get this kid to open up or bring me someone else! :)

Yes, no pocket presence even when he has time to throw. Happy feet all the time, just never looks comfortable. Sure hope he and the OL get better.

Thank you. Is Vandy really the best option Iowa has right now? Or is the head coach being stubborn again in refusing to make a change when HIS starter is struggling? Stop me if you've heard this story before.

I've heard people complaining that the backup QB should be playing many, many times before. They've almost always been completely wrong.

In fact, one of those backups was Vandeberg over current NFLer Ricky Stanzi.

They didn't get many yards either actually. I think NIU had about 200 offensive yards. D was getting the ball for the Offense as well. D was not the problem at all today.

I would take those numbers as well. The part that is concerning to me is that NIU is completely one dimensional and the qb was still able to extend plays with his feet. I guess going back to last year's ISU game that is concerning to me. Jantz throws the ball a lot better than NIU's qb and he to is able to extend plays with his feet as we saw last year.

The total stats were great.

I'm going to get off the coolaid and jump on the band wagon. James is not good. He has some physical tools, but the game hasn't slowed down for him. He wilts under any amount of pressure, he doesn't have the intangibles.

Is James the whole problem. No I'm sure the teams lack of skill by the wide outs compounds the issue.

And to people who think the D did a good job. Get off the coolaid, and stats. NIU had one play, the quarterback keeper, and still put up 17 pts. The line generated very little push, and the linebackers could get off blocks and find the ball. And when they found the ball 50/50 chance they would make the tackle.

Get ready for a long season.

I have in the past (thought it was because he was young), and will for now, continue to refer to him as "Bambi". He needs to step it up and lead by example. O-line may not have been fair to him, but if that is going to be the case, he needs to improvise, get rid of the ball, carry out fakes EVERY play, not be so one dimensional. Just play the game as an athlete, and he needs to do it soon!

Latest posts