For those wanting to lay it all on JVB

This is our offense:

186496423.jpg

Unfortunately, what was presented today by the Iowa Hawkeye football team was much of the same. Despite having a new O coordinator much of the formations were the same and there was a lack of flair in the play calling.

This is why for many years KOK, I feel,got a bum deal. It wasnt KOK who was forcing the O to be slow and predictable it was the CEO Ferentz. Hopefully things change a bit next week, but if my gut tells me anything it wont and we will still be the vanilla hawks.

Also, JVB looks identical to the way he played last year. He just lacks that cool calm head like other posters have stated. He is a deer in headlights when a blitz is coming and clearly his internal clock is a step behind the pass rush. Hopefully, this will get cleaned up as the year progresses because the Oline is going to struggle, so he will have to get rid of the ball in a hurry or get hit hard alot.

Another thought is if our WRs can't seperate from Northern Illi's DBs it's going to be a long year in the B10. Not being at the game its hard to tell on TV if they were open or not. The few times the ball was thrown down the feild Northerns DBs on TV had no trouble sticking with MM, Davis, and company.

Overall, thank goodness we are 1-0 and not 0-1 IMO 8-4 would be a great year for this team, but after one game 6-6 or 5-7 :mad: might be more likely.

Hopefully, the hawks prove me wrong.

Last edited:
I'm just disappointed because everything I read preseason made me expect way more than what I saw today... JVB just seemed really off today, not saying that is what I think we will see all season but nearly cost us today. If he leads the offense (or lack of) next week the way he did today, I foresee a Clown invasion after the win at Kinnick after 10 yrs of waiting.

It is possible that NIU has a very good defense -- at least that is what Ed Pololak said today. If the WRs can't get open, the QB can look pretty bad. That is what happened today, IMO.

Vandy plays better at home - next week will be a great test

Honestly, I don't know what to think about what I saw today. It just seemed the formations were not going to give us an opportunity on 2nd and 3rd and long. With the speed of their back seven, I kept thinking we would go to more misdirection in the passing game and bring people across formation to create picks and open up space. It was pretty pathetic. When a defense is pressing you that much, you have to try and beat them long a few times to loosen them up. We threw the ball deep once that I can remember. Just totally disappointing.

How about a good screen to the backs with all the pressure in second and third and long. Or a draw play.

On the bright side...the OL did get push in the running game.

I think Iowa saw a veteran solid secondary today and they may only see 2-3 better the rest of the year. That being said; the offensive play calling was predictable...the execution was just ok and JVB did nothing to impress.

The defense was more concerning to me against a one dimensional offense. The qb had quite a day and everyone knew he was a fun first guy, but we didn't make the proper adjustments and did not tackle well.

I watched the replay and to me it looks like Carl Davis gets his a$$ kicked all day long. He recovered a fumble but only because he was pushed back 2 yds off the line of scrimmage. He got worked and so did the middle of the defense.

I think Iowa saw a veteran solid secondary today and they may only see 2-3 better the rest of the year. That being said; the offensive play calling was predictable...the execution was just ok and JVB did nothing to impress.

The defense was more concerning to me against a one dimensional offense. The qb had quite a day and everyone knew he was a fun first guy, but we didn't make the proper adjustments and did not tackle well.

I watched the replay and to me it looks like Carl Davis gets his a$$ kicked all day long. He recovered a fumble but only because he was pushed back 2 yds off the line of scrimmage. He got worked and so did the middle of the defense.

Other than the 73 yd run the defense gave up only 130 yds and 10 points, not sure how that qualifies as concerning. :rolleyes:

He did not look good. Doesn't show good pocket presence. Doesn't feel the pressure and get rid of the ball. On one run, he slid before the 1st down. Not what you would expect from a senior. He does not show a good feel for the game. Just looks like another guy with a great arm.

Hoping for better performance next week and the rest of the season. We have to score more than 18 points.

Other than the 73 yd run the defense gave up only 130 yds and 10 points, not sure how that qualifies as concerning. :rolleyes:

How many 3rd and 8's did the qb keep it and run for a first down...I'm guesstimating at least 4 with one being the long td. If Iowa can't contain this guy, imagine what will happen against t martinez, d robinson or any of the other running qb's in bX

I'm just disappointed because everything I read preseason made me expect way more than what I saw today... JVB just seemed really off today, not saying that is what I think we will see all season but nearly cost us today. If he leads the offense (or lack of) next week the way he did today, I foresee a Clown invasion after the win at Kinnick after 10 yrs of waiting.

If the Clones win next week, Jon needs to do a pre-emptive strike and ban every known Cyclone account for 2 weeks, and shut down the new user registration functionality for 2 weeks as well. Sure there will be some collateral damage, but sometimes that's acceptable in war.

Agreed. D played well except one play were Morris was swallowed whole by one of their linemen. That was a bad one, but it was mostly impressive.

How many 3rd and 8's did the qb keep it and run for a first down...I'm guesstimating at least 4 with one being the long td. If Iowa can't contain this guy, imagine what will happen against t martinez, d robinson or any of the other running qb's in bX

Yds dont win games...points do. NIU ran a total of 53 plays the entire game and scored only 17 pts....ill take that all year from the D...

Yds dont win games...points do. NIU ran a total of 53 plays the entire game and scored only 17 pts....ill take that all year from the D...

They didn't get many yards either actually. I think NIU had about 200 offensive yards. D was getting the ball for the Offense as well. D was not the problem at all today.

It's not all on JVB but he had some pretty horrendous throws today. He also still seems to rush the game, doesn't stand up well to the pressure and still hasn't learned how to dump the ball when he's about to be sacked ... w/o being called for grounding, at least. The same sort of errors he's made the past three years. A senior should have picked up some of that by now.

Something I haven't understood going back to last year, when we have 3rd and long and JVB throws to a guy 3 yards off the line of scrimmage is that play calling or bad decision making on his part? I'm so tired of this passive 3rd down approach.

Blame can go many ways but JVB played bad today. He made no plays of consequence and panicked several times under pressure and took numerous sacks that couldve been avoided. I think this year will be similar to last year...solid at home and extremely frustrating on the road. Hopefully in the next 5 weeks he can find a rhythm and confidence before heading to MSU

Unfortunately, what was presented today by the Iowa Hawkeye football team was much of the same. Despite having a new O coordinator much of the formations were the same and there was a lack of flair in the play calling.

I'm disappointed too, but come on. You're saying it was the same because it was a poor result. That was not the same offense! Or the same formations! Or the same plays! As to the "lack of flair"-- everyone wanted no huddle. And shotgun. And empty backfields. And two tight ends. And five wides. Guess what? You got all of it today!

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to admit that it's so much less about the plays that get called than it is about the execution of those plays. You can be Mike Leach or Dana Holgerson or Greg Davis or Ken O'Keefe. If guys don't read, block, throw, and catch, the most sophisticated offense in the world isn't going to do anything for them.

Again, not a good offensive performance. I'm disappointed. But this strikes me as the silliest thing to complain about. We couldn't have been more different in terms of scheme and approach if we'd come out and run triple option all game.

If you didn't know anything about either QB coming into the game you would likely label the Northern IL QB the one with the 3-4 year's experience and the UI QB as the one starting his first game.

It's not all on JVB but he had some pretty horrendous throws today. He also still seems to rush the game, doesn't stand up well to the pressure and still hasn't learned how to dump the ball when he's about to be sacked ... w/o being called for grounding, at least. The same sort of errors he's made the past three years. A senior should have picked up some of that by now.

It is not always about throws with QBs. JVB does not do the little things kids are taught in pop warner. #1 - when it is a handoff to the back - he needs to reverse back faking like he has the ball (JVB does not do this). #2 - When it is a play action pass - he needs to fake like the rb actually has the ball. #3 he needs to learn to pump fake left and throw right (not pump right facing the receiver and then come right back to the same receiver). #4 - JVB needs to not zero in on 1 receiver (can't believe this happened at all today - let alone all fckn day)

I see more JC in him than I do RS. I hope I am wrong, but I haven't seen much to be excited for.

Latest posts