For as much crap as fran takes over his sideline demeanor

That is pretty cool. You can be a hot-headed dad that yells a lot yet still show kindness to your kids I guess.

You can also not be a hothead in life but be extremely competitive and act different during competition. I'm not a hot head at all but I'm a raging lunatic watching a game that has nothing to do with me. That said, I assume he's at least a bit of a hot head. Like Dolph said during his interview about how much he learned about unconscious bias "Fran has an Irish temper".

Tough to beat that locker room celebration. They've not just included Jack but involved him with the team. He's a part of them. Glad he got to go on that road trip to see his uncle and be a part of that.

I actually think Fran has reeled in his temper quite a bit this season. Not that he's a calm wallflower on the bench by any means, but we are not seeing nearly the degree of tirades we are used to seeing. It's quite possible that Patrick's brush with cancer has changed him. There's also the motivation to model good behavior now that his sons are on court with him.

One new thing I have noticed, though, is he keeps making this weird face like he's smelling something bad. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm starting to wonder if he's either developing a tic, or if Sherm is wearing some nasty aftershave.

You can also not be a hothead in life but be extremely competitive and act different during competition. I'm not a hot head at all but I'm a raging lunatic watching a game that has nothing to do with me. That said, I assume he's at least a bit of a hot head. Like Dolph said during his interview about how much he learned about unconscious bias "Fran has an Irish temper".

I resemble that remark as well.

I've always loved this show, and I don't think it can be understated that other than live games, this is one of the best things BTN has to offer. I'm not usually one to follow athletes or actor's personal lives, but it's always fun to see some behind the scenes things. I wish they would expand and do more episodes throughout the year, I don't think I could get too much of it. They should be able to replace the 900th showing of 2007 Iowa Vs MSU in football or the loads of other crap the off season brings

I actually think Fran has reeled in his temper quite a bit this season. Not that he's a calm wallflower on the bench by any means, but we are not seeing nearly the degree of tirades we are used to seeing. It's quite possible that Patrick's brush with cancer has changed him. There's also the motivation to model good behavior now that his sons are on court with him.

One new thing I have noticed, though, is he keeps making this weird face like he's smelling something bad. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm starting to wonder if he's either developing a tic, or if Sherm is wearing some nasty aftershave.

He's already had 3 or 4 technicals this year. That's gotta be close to a season record for him. I'd say its definitely not under his average. And he's had that tick for as long as he's coached here. Funny ass way for you to describe it.

I've always loved this show, and I don't think it can be understated that other than live games, this is one of the best things BTN has to offer. I'm not usually one to follow athletes or actor's personal lives, but it's always fun to see some behind the scenes things. I wish they would expand and do more episodes throughout the year, I don't think I could get too much of it. They should be able to replace the 900th showing of 2007 Iowa Vs MSU in football or the loads of other crap the off season brings

I dont know, I have only seen 2007 Iowa vs MSU 293 times so I would miss it if they stopped.

You are correct though that those are really good segments on BTN.

As long as they keep showing 2017 Iowa vs THE Ohio State football game. I could watch that game 900 more times. Can't get enough of that beat down.

He's already had 3 or 4 technicals this year. That's gotta be close to a season record for him. I'd say its definitely not under his average. And he's had that tick for as long as he's coached here. Funny ass way for you to describe it.

haha, yeah, whatever that face he makes is, he makes it a lot right before the game is about to start and the camera's are panning to each bench haha.

As long as they keep showing 2017 Iowa vs THE Ohio State football game. I could watch that game 900 more times. Can't get enough of that beat down.
Pshh that's on youtube including a 1 hr condensed version, give me actual new programming on BTN!

I don't think Fran is a better or worse person now than when he got here 10 years ago. A coach's temper only becomes an issue when the team is losing. Nobody cared about Bob Knight's temper until his program went 13 years without a national title and 8 years without a final four. Nobody cared about Bo Pelini's temper until Nebraska got tired of 9 win seasons and no Big Ten titles that the fans felt entitled to. Same here at Iowa. Iowa is winning this season, so people have kind of forgotten about Fran's temper. Regardless of where you are, a hot temper can be defined as intensity or being out of control. If you want it to be defined as intensity, you better be winning and meeting expectations.

I do agree that sometimes Fran goes a bit overboard and I agree that he has chilled some this season.
On the flip side of it, I love that many of the times that he flips he is defending his players. I will always take that. Beats the heck out of REDACTED throwing players under the bus.

Fran is just an intense competitor. When the game is over, he thanks the Refs, tries to shake hands on the other side, and is able to intellectually discuss the game with the media.

He is the way he is because MBB allows that sort of conduct AND he believes it helps his team. Most of the time he is right about that. It fires up the team and makes the refs think they need to try and even the calls out. Sometimes it is counterproductive, but I think he usually gets T'd up at appropriate times.

Bottom line is that this sort of stuff is not unique to Fran, it is part of the culture of BB. If it were truly a problem, refs could start acting like Umps in baseball. You get into an umps face for more than a second, you are tossed. The refs could end the sideline antics if they wanted to, but that is just the way the game is.

I personally enjoy watching coaches go crazy on the sideline. Makes it more interesting.

Yeah, he's had a number of technicals, but I do think that the degree of his outbursts has lessened. We're seeing less and less of the complete melt-down behaviors we're accustomed to.

And, yes, that tic has always been there, but, for whatever reason, he seems to be doing it much more this season. It's definitely a goofy look.

Latest posts