For all the Cubs fans out there...

Hawkfromnorwalk

Hope you live in or around Chicago or live far away from Chicago because they just announced the season opener against the Braves will be broadcast on WCIU.

Cubs' 2010 broadcast schedule announced | cubs.com: News

For those who don't know, WCIU is this podunk station out of Chicago that broadcasts a handful of Cub games a year. You can't get the station anywhere outside of the Chicago area. Usually what happens is ESPN picks these games up HOWEVER, due to the MLB's dumb a s s blackout rules they treat people in the surrounding states (like Iowa) as if we can pick up WCIU so we get blacked out of the ESPN broadcasts. Our only hope is that since we are playing the Braves it'll be on TBS.

Dang, that really sucks! I think the WCIU thing is crap. I do remember last year though that I was able to get a game on ESPN while others with Mediacom couldn't. I guess I'll have to get gamecast going and then catch the radio telecast with Pat and Ron. Can't wait till the opener!

I've seen in the past where sometimes it's blacked out and sometimes it isn't. I was thinking though, a bar with the MLB package, even though they would be blacked out for the Chicago broadcast, should be able to pick up the Braves broadcast right?

The Dude from Norwalk- that sucks big time. With Hawkeye basketball this bad, football over, I can't wait for some Cubs baseball. Guess I'll have to wait an extra day.

I can't stand living in Iowa when ESPN does game during the week. I can't get any Cubs, Twins, Cardinals games and I'm pretty sure I can't get Brewer or Royals games either on ESPN.

I loved the days in the past when you knew when the Cubs played and what channel they were on without looking at a TV Guide. Another modern improvement. :)

Black-outs are extremely stupid. Yes, let's black-out the audience that actually wants to watch the game. :rolleyes:

I think the reasonable hope is that this game will get picked up by ESPN. The game is at 3:05, iirc, an odd time for the Braves to start games. ESPN has yet to announce there broadcast schedule for the MLB season, but they will most likely be trying to show as many opening day games as possible. Both the Cubs and Braves have national tv audiences, it would make sense.

I've seen in the past where sometimes it's blacked out and sometimes it isn't. I was thinking though, a bar with the MLB package, even though they would be blacked out for the Chicago broadcast, should be able to pick up the Braves broadcast right?

Not how the package works. In Cedar Falls the White Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Twins, Cardinals and Royals are all considered local. With DirecTV that means as part of the Choice package or higher you get CSN Chicago. The other RSN's are included in part of the Sports Pack. It they are a "local" team you only receive their feed. The feed of the team they are playing is blacked out. The only hope at least for DirecTV customers is that they put it on an overflow channel(not likely at all), or have it on ESPN and not be blacked out. All in all if neither of those hold true the only people seeing the opener will be cable subscribers or bars that have cable.