FootballScoop

Maybe less, but generally, I agree. But the same is true for the 2 star kids they bring in.

With rare exception two star recruits rarely make a positive impact on the field. There is a reason they are not highly regarded.

Maybe less, but generally, I agree. But the same is true for the 2 star kids they bring in.

If it all. Many 2* players have limited ceilings. Also maybe look at some JUCO recruits to help smooth the transition those first couple years?

With rare exception two star recruits rarely make a positive impact on the field. There is a reason they are not highly regarded.

Exactly my point. It's too difficult to keep looking for diamonds in the rough, they've always been hard to find, and Iowa did as good of a job as anyone finding them, but with all of the camps and scouting information out now, it's even harder today. In other words, a 2 star recruit today is probably a true 2 star talent, not an unearthed gem.

I have mixed feelings about this. As much as it hurts to see the program decline, the idea of KF leaving on this note hurts also. He's devoted a large portion of his adult life to Iowa football, and he has accomplished great things for the program. He deserves thanks for that, and a chance to reinvent that success. But if he refuses to make changes or adapt, we have all seen this movie before.

I have mixed feelings about this. As much as it hurts to see the program decline, the idea of KF leaving on this note hurts also. He's devoted a large portion of his adult life to Iowa football, and he has accomplished great things for the program. He deserves thanks for that, and a chance to reinvent that success. But if he refuses to make changes or adapt, we have all seen this movie before.

He has received thanks for that, to the tune of over $50 million. He absolutely does not "deserve" a chance to reinvent that success. That's an absolutely ridiculous statement. You do a job in exchange for money. If you are not doing your job then you lose it. Do you think my boss in sales gives a **** about my numbers 10 years ago let alone 5 years ago? No. You deserve what you earn. He has earned his way out of the job as head coach at University of Iowa.

The thanks have been given. The chances have been given. There's absolutely no reason to believe he will change anything up. He's refused to change anything the last 5 years. I am done holding my breath for KF to try something different.

The host said he had a “guy in Iowa he talks to” contact him, asking if he had also heard that Kirk and Iowa were going to come to a mutual agreement and part ways. The host reached out to several sources in the program who declined to comment. Then he reached out to someone close to Kirk who said he thinks its time for Kirk to move on, and that he believes Kirk knows that, but that he’s not sure Kirk is ready. Also, the source said that “you don’t want to be where you aren’t wanted.” The host seemed really intrigued by the whole situation. No mention of coordinators the whole time.

Don't know FootballScoop, can't vouch for him. And didn't listen to what actually was said.

But, assuming this is accurate, let's take a step back from the fantasy and frankly tiresome Ferentz bashing and break down what actually was said. Here it is:

"Someone close to" Ferentz thinks it's time for Kirk "to move on." Further, the coach "knows" this but"he's not sure Kirk is ready."

Ponder for a moment the source and what is and is not being said: someone who knows Ferentz thinks he should move on. How is that any different from a close friend thinking your girlfriend is bad news and that you need to dump her, or your mother hating the girl you married, or your wife thinking your current job is killing you with hours and pressures and you need to find something else?

It's not. We've ALL been there.

No offense to the OP or FootballScoop, but I just don't see this breathless report signifying anything.

Last edited:
I'm certain that leaving now has crossed his mind. After that bowl game who wouldn't have thoughts like that. Don't see it happening just yet though. I think KF is going to push for one more good season and is willing to coach through 2017 to get there....

He has received thanks for that, to the tune of over $50 million. He absolutely does not "deserve" a chance to reinvent that success. That's an absolutely ridiculous statement. You do a job in exchange for money. If you are not doing your job then you lose it. Do you think my boss in sales gives a **** about my numbers 10 years ago let alone 5 years ago? No. You deserve what you earn. He has earned his way out of the job as head coach at University of Iowa.

The difference is I'm guessing your boss didn't give you a contract extension guaranteeing you $12 million dollars if he fires you, nor have you likely helped raise millions of dollars for your employer and upgrade facilities. Basically you are comparing apples and oranges. With the position Barta is in now, if KF is willing to make significant changes for the coming season to try to breathe life back into the program, it would probably be better for everyone involved to allow that to happen and evaluate afterwards.

He's not going to simply walk away after a season in which we went to a bowl game.

If I'm Kirk and talking to Gary Barta... I'm explaining that we were a FG and and OT loss that was a meltdown from being 9-3. I've sent many guys to the NFL. I've coached this team to 2 BCS bowls, including 1 Orange bowl victory.

I'm just being devils advocate but to simply walk away.... it doesn't make sense.

KF Does not want to stay and lose. So one has to wonder what he is thinking after the Bowl Game. This whole year was a disappointment except for maybe the Wisc. game. I think we played them very tough He has to be thinking can I turn this back around or not. He has to be looking at Parker as well as Davis The man no doubt is doing a lot of soul searching

Ok, then let's write the ending......walking down a path in a meadow, taking a ride in his car along an ocean view.....what will it be? Or, is it like Joe Pesci walking into a garage thinking he's gonna get made and then......."whack", dead (it could happen ya know)...:)

This whole year was a disappointment except for maybe the Wisc. game. I think we played them very tough

aSGGIwE.gif

Kirk is not a dumb man. He knows the frustration is at its highest level in his 16-year tenure. Part of me still thinks that Kirk will sit down with Gary and they will reach some type of agreement that let's Kirk walk away with a nice chunk of money - without being fired.

I know some posters say Kirk thumbs his nose at the fans, etc. But truly, Kirk is a sensitive guy. We have heard him get emotional on the sidelines on more than one occasion. For Kirk, the person, this has to eat at him. After 16 years of living a pretty good life in Iowa City to now have the natives calling for his head. He's human. He has to feel it.

That's why I still bellieve Kirk and Gary will reach some type of agreement that still gives Kirk enough money to live 10 lifetimes while also still maintaining a legacy at Iowa.

Personally, I hate seeing it come to this. Because I know the type of person Kirk is. He is genuine, and he has done great things for Iowa. That being said, it's just time for a change. Not next year. Not in two years. Now. The toothpaste is out of the tube and you can't put it back in.

Bringing Kirk back ... bringing the same staff back ... will only add fuel to the raging fire.

If we were bringing back 1997 or 2010 type talent, then I'd be all for giving KF one last shot to get this thing turned around. The problem is, we don't have anything close to that kind of talent coming back. There's just no reason at this point to wait. Just negotiate a buyout that lets all sides save face and let's move forward.

If however, KF is unwilling to move on, then it's obvious he's not operating in the best interests of the program, but in the best interests of KF...at that point you hit him where it hurts.....you terminate all assistants, including his son, you require all practices to be open to the public, you require all players, freshmen included, to be allowed to speak to the media. It'd be a dumpster fire for sure, but something needs to happen for the AD to gain back some modicum of control over the football program.

This right here is the #1 problem with Iowa football right now. Just sickening.

^This. So now we are feeling good about playing someone "tough" for 30 minutes? What a joke.

This staff had their heads so far up their rears with their gameplan in that first half against Wisconsin. Or Jake never looked downfield and recognized man coverage. Either way that is BAD COACHING! Continually running into 8 man fronts etc etc...

And this is an all too familiar theme. How is this ever going to change under the current head coach?

I would appreciate an answer.

When you find yourself agreeing with Deace, it's time to take a long, cold, hard look in the mirror and really evaluate where you are in life and what choices have brought you to this point.

What Deace said made a lot of sense. Leave your political leanings out of it.

Latest posts