Football Season Ticke Requests Nearly DOUBLE Supply

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, May 17, 2010
NEW SEASON TICKET REQUESTS MORE THAN DOUBLE AVAILABLE INVENTORY
Most new customers to be offered tickets to two home games; UI creates waiting list
IOWA CITY, IA –* Inclusion versus exclusion is the goal for Pam Finke, the UI Athletics Department’s director of ticket operations, as she maneuvers through season ticket requests that total almost two times the number of seats available.
Finke said she has received requests for season tickets to the seven home games of the nationally ranked 2010 University of Iowa football team from more than 2,300 fans of the Hawkeyes who would be considered “new customers,†e.g. they did not purchase season tickets for the 2009 season.* All counted, the requests total approximately 7,300 seats – a nice number except that only 4,500 seats are available.
“We don’t have enough seats in the stadium to sell season tickets to everyone who wants them, so the goal will be to offer most of our new season ticket applicants the opportunity to have two visits to Kinnick Stadium next fall,†said Finke, who noted that the pair of games will likely be one non-conference game and one game against a Big Ten Conference opponent.
The Athletics Ticket Office will be contacting each new customer over the next two weeks. The overwhelming majority will be contacted via the e-mail address provided when they placed their season ticket order.* The contact will provide a status of their order and, where applicable, the invitation to purchase tickets to two home games.
Fans will be offered tickets to either Iowa’s non-conference game against Eastern Illinois (Sept. 4) or Ball State (Sept. 25), and, most likely, the Hawkeyes’ date with Big Ten Conference rival Michigan State (Oct. 30).* Fans who accept the UI’s offer to purchase the two-game package will be given one year’s season ticket credit in the UI’s ticket priority points system.
“That point has real value. It puts them officially into our priority points system and, among other things, provides them priority over those fans that are not in the priority points system when it comes to tickets to bowl games and season tickets in future seasons,†said Finke.
Finke said she is personally reviewing requests for additional tickets from renewal season ticket customers – fans of the Hawkeyes who purchased a season ticket in 2009 – but that she anticipates filling “only a very limited number†of those requests.
Finke said once the process of securing two-game sale commitments from fans who accept that offer, the availability of single game tickets will be limited to very small quantities of tickets to Iowa’s non-conference games against Eastern Illinois and Ball State.* She also doesn’t expect to receive many tickets back from teams who visit Kinnick Stadium this fall with the possible exception being Michigan State.â€
“Iowa State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State…those schools will use their full allotment of visiting team tickets.* If history is any guide, we’ll get a handful back from Michigan State, but not that much,†said Finke.
Fans that decline an offer for a two-game package will be added to the waiting list for Iowa football tickets the UI Athletics Ticket Office is now managing.* They will be the first fans offered single-game tickets if single-game tickets become available for this season’s home games.* Finke said she expects to make a definitive announcement on the availability of single-game tickets and the date on which those would go on sale in mid to late June.*
Fans on the waiting list will also automatically receive a season ticket application next year.**
Fans interested in being added to the ticket office’s waiting list should call the UI Athletics Ticket Office at 1-800 IA-HAWKS or visit the ticket office’s temporary location inside the West Entrance of Carver-Hawkeye Arena.*

Hmmmm. Wonder how it will play out for me and my dad. We put in for 2 tickets, willing to donate at the $50 or $200 level. Apparently, there was still data on my dad from when he had season tickets back the 80s and 90s that will be used. Will be interesting to see how it plays out for us.

Do faculty/staff have any priority over the people that are not faculty/staff? I am guessing they do not but I just thought I would see if anyone knew a definitive answer. Thanks!

Interesting that the ONE conference game in the 2-game "deal" is Michigan State. Using some logic and virtually no knowledge of the ticketing process, it would be safe to assume that the season tickets account for the same amount of tickets for each game and there would be 4,500 seats available each game. Leaving us to guess that the ticket office has sold tickets outside of the season ticket packages to the other conference games and Iowa State (eating up the 4,500) even though they have not yet determined when single game tickets will go on sale. I suppose there would be a high demand from VIPs and what not that only want a game or 2 and they have saved the other games from going to waste by NOT selling season tickets, but other Hawkeye fans would have come to EVERY game. Either way, its a product of the great success of Iowa football and hopefully the demand continues for many years.

Well i doubt I get my extra 2 i put in for. Glad to still have 4 so the family can attend every weekend! I can't believe that the new customers were that high. WOW trying to scalp a ticket at kinnick next year could be costly!

"Fans will be offered tickets to either Iowa’s non-conference game against Eastern Illinois (Sept. 4) or Ball State (Sept. 25), and, most likely, the Hawkeyes’ date with Big Ten Conference rival Michigan State (Oct. 30)"

Both games that probably won't be worth paying face value for vs. buying from friends of friends/family/scalpers/etc. (which I've done the last 4 years)

Really angry about this...the only positive being that you're added to the list for next year...

"Fans will be offered tickets to either Iowa’s non-conference game against Eastern Illinois (Sept. 4) or Ball State (Sept. 25), and, most likely, the Hawkeyes’ date with Big Ten Conference rival Michigan State (Oct. 30)"

Both games that probably won't be worth paying face value for vs. buying from friends of friends/family/scalpers/etc. (which I've done the last 4 years)

Really angry about this...the only positive being that you're added to the list for next year...

I understand the whole "your name is added to the list for next year" but what happens if there are still enough original season ticket holders that they can't fulfill the orders of the people that were just added to the list? I would be leary of that if I were going to get the two ticket deal.

This story is filled with questions left unexplained. So there are 4500 seats available for all the games. they will only offer 2 game packages for (1) BSU or E. Illinois and (2) MSU. Then they say single game tickets won't be available for the other B10 games. So where are those 4500 seats going for those games?

Also, she says she will fill a "very limited number" of situations where current season ticket holders request more tickets. Translated: only the season ticket holders who donate a crap load of money will be granted additional seats.

Looks like I'll be staying home more saturdays in the fall than I planned...sucks.

anyone know how many points a guy would need to garuntee his chances at tickets

It's all going to come down to the renewals from last year. They get the priority and all of those get filled first, no matter how much a new person would donate. Then it would probably come down to donations and there probably isn't any way a person could tell how much would be enough to get seats.

For anyone that is interested I will have extra tickets to a number of games including many of the conference games except Ohio State. I will know more as the season approaches. I have a total of 4 tickets and will have between 1-3 tickets available for some of the games. I will have 2 tickets available for the PSU game. Feel free to contact me if you have any interest or would like me to keep you posted to what I have available. FYI: I am not a ticket broker, my seat are in section 212 row 25. We just had a baby girl, so my wife will not be going to most of the games as we drive up each home game from Kansas City.

This is great news, but also a sign that ticket prices will be going up in the future since demand is so high.

Interesting that the ONE conference game in the 2-game "deal" is Michigan State. Using some logic and virtually no knowledge of the ticketing process, it would be safe to assume that the season tickets account for the same amount of tickets for each game and there would be 4,500 seats available each game. Leaving us to guess that the ticket office has sold tickets outside of the season ticket packages to the other conference games and Iowa State (eating up the 4,500) even though they have not yet determined when single game tickets will go on sale. I suppose there would be a high demand from VIPs and what not that only want a game or 2 and they have saved the other games from going to waste by NOT selling season tickets, but other Hawkeye fans would have come to EVERY game. Either way, its a product of the great success of Iowa football and hopefully the demand continues for many years.

Iowa is required to allot at least 3,000 tickets to the visiting team by Big Ten rules and 5,000 tickets to Iowa State. That accounts for a big number of the available seats. There are other tickets taken by Bravo Marketing (for all games) for Hawkeye Village intended for large groups. I don't know this for sure, but would guess they are making assumptions that Michigan State will not sell all their tickets and they can fill a two game package using that game.

Does this mean the priority point system is thrown out the window for new season ticket holder requests? There's going to be a lot of angry recent grad/new donors if this is the case. They won't be happy with having to share with new requests who didn't donate/non-grads.

they need to stop giving so many seats to visiting fans, give the bare minimum and forget the ISU band, they can sit outside and come play during half time if they want

This is great news, but also a sign that ticket prices will be going up in the future since demand is so high.

Well, prices are not likely to go down, but I dont think there is all of the sudden going to be this level of demand year in and year out.

This is perhaps the most anticipated football season in the last half century. There's your reason.

Latest posts