Food Thread

ssckelley

We need one of these to exchange ideas and to brag.

I don't remember who it was that made Mississippi Pot Roast last weekend but it got me curious and I found this recipe for my crock pot online. OMG, it was AMAZING....the juice that comes off the meat makes a very tasty gravy that went well with the potatoes I cooked with it.

This was the recipe I used: https://belleofthekitchen.com/mississippi-pot-roast/

Will not do this recipe again, way to salty for my taste.

Oh, yeah I should have warned you. I made that thing a few years ago but cut the packets in half and still found it a touch on the salty side. It was okay but I can't imagine how salty it would be if you used the actual recipe.

Added carrots and potatoes to it and threw the carrots out. They tasted like biting into a salt block. Good thing I have bp pills!

All I ever do for crock pot beef roast is use one packet of Onion soup mix and one whole onion cut up in rings over the top.

I may have to add some pepperoncini's next time, but it is delicious without them, and not too salty.

I did make oyster stew and chili on Christmas Eve.

I added celery, onions, and potatoes in the oyster stew to make it heartier. My daughter and I are the only ones who really enjoy it, but it is a family tradition of mine since I was a kid. At $20 a jar for oysters, I am glad it is a once a year thing.

I guess I shouldn't be such a tightwad, come to think of it. My son and his girlfriend had prime rib and lobster on Christmas Eve.

I did make oyster stew and chili on Christmas Eve.

I added celery, onions, and potatoes in the oyster stew to make it heartier. My daughter and I are the only ones who really enjoy it, but it is a family tradition of mine since I was a kid. At $20 a jar for oysters, I am glad it is a once a year thing.

I guess I shouldn't be such a tightwad, come to think of it. My son and his girlfriend had prime rib and lobster on Christmas Eve.
I have not had oyster stew in years.

Today we are making our French dip sandwiches.

Get a beef chuck roast
2 cans of french onion soup (21 ounces)
i can beef consomme 10.5 ounces)
Throw it in a slow cooker on high for 4 hours.

When done. take the beef out and it will shred. Put beef on hoagie rolls and top with provolone. Put that in oven until cheese is melted.

Take left over juice in the crock pot and put in pan and bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes to reduce.

And that is it. It is awesome.

Get a beef chuck roast

When done. take the beef out and it will shred. Put beef on hoagie rolls and top with provolone. Put that in oven until cheese is melted.

Take left over juice in the crock pot and put in pan and bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes to reduce.

I'll be down. I'm in Iowa City. How far to your place? ;)

I'm making crockpot chicken gravy with rice.

4 skinless/boneless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 packets of chicken gravy
1 tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon (chicken)
Chicken broth

Place chicken at bottom of crockpot, season however you like I use a Rada meat seasoning and garlic powder but salt and pepper work. In a bowl mix the soup, gravy, bouillon, along with broth together. Put however much broth you want depending how thick or thin you like your gravy (I use about 2 cups). Pour over chicken and let cook 4-5 hours. Shred the chicken, add more water or broth if you want thinner gravy, and cook some rice.

Get a beef chuck roast

Sounds good, breh. My mom bought a freaking 8 pound standing rib roast for 4 of us for Christmas. I froze the leftovers and then sliced it paper thin on my meat slicer the day after Xmas. I then used the leftover jus and some consomme to reheat the sliced meat. I used a candy thermometer to get the temp of the liquid 125 and tossed the sliced meat in there. Converted some of those frozen yeast rolls into knockoff weck rolls by using an egg wash to stick some caraway seeds and course salt on top before I baked them. Topped the sammich with horseradish cut with sour cream and boiled down a little of the jus and thickened it just a touch with roux for the gravy. Made my second one Chicago Italian beef style on a hoagie roll with giardiniera and dipped it in the jus.

A meat slicer is an absolute game changer for certain stuff.