First timer to Jack Trice

Don't plan on hitting the bars after the game. Downtown is lame and is not made to handle very many people. Also not sure I've been to one bar in Ames that has an AC so everyone is uncomfortable and sweating in overcrowded bars. Ames is the worst.

We went in 2015. Game started at 3:45, we read somewhere lots didn't open until 9:00 am. We pulled into Ames around 8:45 am, and all the lots were open and there were tons of people there. Immediately pissed off. Sat on University Ave for about an hour. Tailgating was cramped, we were across the street from JTS. No one bothered us at all, and we were all Hawkeye fans. We played bags with ISU tailgaters, and were not hassled at all other than good old fashioned trash talk. Overall, the tailgating scene was laughable. Reference to a Wal-Mart parking lot is spot on. Nothing but red/yellow tents and rv's.

Game was great because of an Iowa win. The music wasn't terrible, but all the sound effects and music up to the snap when Iowa had the ball was rediculous. I think it was the year the refs had to get them to stop. We were lucky, we had tickets in the section where a lot of Iowa Hawkeye parents of players were at.

We hung out in the lot afterwards for probably an hour or more to let it clear. Once it did, we got out and made it back to Ankeny fairly easily.

All in all, I had as good of a time as I could being in Ames and on campus. We are going back this year, hopefully the game has the same result with a Hawkeye win.

Get there as early as humanly possible (I'd say at least by 7am for this upcoming game). Highway 30 backs up. Takes us 2 hours to get to Ames and another 45 minutes to park if we don't get there early enough. Easy place to park we have found is the Vet Medicine area just off of highway 30. tailgates going on there and maybe a 10 minute walk to stadium. $20 to park there. Lots of people.

I would absolutely not park by vet med. Just my opinion. The last time I parked there, and it's been a while, they only had one real viable exit from those lots and it took me a really, really long time to get out of there. I'd get on highway 30, then get off on S Dayton Ave, then drive west on S 16th all the way to the grass lots before university ave. Park on the NORTH side of university, much easier to get out from there. I'd stay on the north side too, as the students are on the south side, and if anybody is going to give you crap it's probably a hammered 19 year old.

We went in 2015. Game started at 3:45, we read somewhere lots didn't open until 9:00 am. We pulled into Ames around 8:45 am, and all the lots were open and there were tons of people there. Immediately pissed off. Sat on University Ave for about an hour.

I'd avoid University at all costs. You'd be better served driving on 35 north past hwy 30, then getting off on 13th street, and going west through town then south. University is a disaster on game days.

As far as that goes, technically the lots open 6 hours before kick. They'll stop you about 7 or 8 hours beforehand. However people will usually get there before security is there to stop them.

I would absolutely not park by vet med. Just my opinion. The last time I parked there, and it's been a while, they only had one real viable exit from those lots and it took me a really, really long time to get out of there. I'd get on highway 30, then get off on S Dayton Ave, then drive west on S 16th all the way to the grass lots before university ave. Park on the NORTH side of university, much easier to get out from there. I'd stay on the north side too, as the students are on the south side, and if anybody is going to give you crap it's probably a hammered 19 year old.

There are two ways out and we never had any issue getting out. can't imagine it would be a problem with an 11am game. Unless it is raining many will hang and tailgate long after the game.

Be sure to go through a through decontamination process after you exit. If not you will have a craving for big macs every day of your life. You will be content with only winning 1 football game per season. Your appearance will frighten kids at parks. Please be vary care, without proper decontamination you could spread that disease.

For some reason whenever I'm in Ames, I get the weird feeling in the back of my head churning the whole time I'm there that I missed my calling as a veterinarian.

Latest posts