First timer to Jack Trice

FRANAMANIAC

Alright HN, need your help.

This year i'll be make my first trek to lAmes and would like some details:
1) what time should I arrive to find parking, and what is a general idea of where to park and what to pay?
2) tailgating - anyone have any tailgates I could join/know of some general population hawkeye tailgates?
3) Where y'all seated during the game? I'm in section R of the stadium

thanks in advance and go hawks

We will be seated right under the McDonald's sign ...

jacktricestadium-jpg.2664

1) what time should I arrive to find parking, and what is a general idea of where to park and what to pay?
2) tailgating - anyone have any tailgates I could join/know of some general population hawkeye tailgates?

Get there as early as humanly possible (I'd say at least by 7am for this upcoming game). Highway 30 backs up. Takes us 2 hours to get to Ames and another 45 minutes to park if we don't get there early enough. Easy place to park we have found is the Vet Medicine area just off of highway 30. tailgates going on there and maybe a 10 minute walk to stadium. $20 to park there. Lots of people.

If you have never been to Jack Trice there are a few traditions you should know about.

1) The ISU defensive linemen always guard the visitors locker room. This ensures clear passage for criminals and the like...seeing how they have never stopped anyone before. It has worked every year.

2) Before the game every ISU fan is given a cup with a red colored liquid. You are asked to drink the liquid in order to show loyalty to the supreme leader...Ronald McDonald. The liquid contains a form of reality altering drug that allows the fan to see only the positives and forget about the fact that they are one of the worst programs in college football over the past 30 years.

3) There will be an odd siren that goes off prior to the beginning of the game. Don't be alarmed...this signifies the ritual like beating of the men in the McDonald's uniforms is about to begin.

Enjoy the game!

Do not, under any circumstances, wear Hawkeye colors. If Iowa loses, you won't believe the crap you will take from Iowa State fans. They are the WORST

Be prepared to hear the worst and loudest music imaginable during timeouts and breaks. If possible wear head phones and listen to the game on the radio. Do not have high expectations going into the game. If you have gone to other Division 1 college football stadiums Jack Trice will not compare. It is like a lego and erector set were combined to form a place to play.

I think you have to tailgate in Pasture 3 or 4. Can't remember. Also, get there early, because about an hour before kickoff they let the cheerleaders out to graze and they take up more than a few parking spots.

Last edited:
Do not, under any circumstances, wear Hawkeye colors. If Iowa loses, you won't believe the crap you will take from Iowa State fans. They are the WORST

I've been to the last 4 games in Ames and never had this happen to me. So many Iowa fans and mixed family and relatives with Iowa and ISU people in same groups. Never had anyone say anything disparaging to me win or lose and I always wear the black and gold.

Never had this experience, the fans were fine. But prepare yourself, like mentioned elsewhere, the music is bad and loud, the announcer gets excited and announces every clown first down like it is their first. And the stadium itself was designed by some Soviet-bloc architect. all concrete, no character. It looks like most of the parking ramps in Iowa City. And if by some miracle of God, they win their Super Bowl the fans will pour out on to the field.

Never had this experience, the fans were fine. But prepare yourself, like mentioned elsewhere, the music is bad and loud, the announcer gets excited and announces every clown first down like it is their first. And the stadium itself was designed by some Soviet-bloc architect. all concrete, no character. It looks like most of the parking ramps in Iowa City. And if by some miracle of God, they win their Super Bowl the fans will pour out on to the field.

In either the 2013 or 2015 game I know the refs verbally warned whoever was running the music on the PA system to quit running the loud music right up to seconds before Iowa was trying to snap the ball.

In either the 2013 or 2015 game I know the refs verbally warned whoever was running the music on the PA system to quit running the loud music right up to seconds before Iowa was trying to snap the ball.

bush league, and par for the course in Ames.

One of the best venues in football. Also, Ames is awesome to hang out and one of the best campus' in all of college football. Hawks win big time.

I have not been there since 2013 so my assessment may be a bit dated. It is much more open and extremely dated in the main grandstands. The concrete supporting the main stands is very worn and pock marked. The concessions are not really part of the structure itself they are poorly built structures that face opposite the underside of the main bleachers. I have been there probably 10 times in the last 25 years. It is a very dated with a horribly designed concourse. I am not sure about the new additions but under the main stands the concession area is very dated and has a HS feeling. The press box looks like Soviet era apartment construction and is much smaller looking in person. I am sure the new part of the stadium is very nice but the rest of the joint is really showing its age.

I have not been there since 2013 so my assessment may be a bit dated. It is much more open and extremely dated in the main grandstands. The concrete supporting the main stands is very worn and pock marked. The concessions are not really part of the structure itself they are poorly built structures that face opposite the underside of the main bleachers. I have been there probably 10 times in the last 25 years. It is a very dated with a horribly designed concourse. I am not sure about the new additions but under the main stands the concession area is very dated and has a HS feeling. The press box looks like Soviet era apartment construction and is much smaller looking in person. I am sure the new part of the stadium is very nice but the rest of the joint is really showing its age.

At least there you can get to the concessions and go to the restroom without it taking an hour. That is the biggest complaint I have with Kinnick. And they did do the south end zone real nicely there I will give them that. I would guess next would be the press box, as it looks tiny compared to most renovated stadiums. Like Kinnick's old one looked. And I would recommend they somehow redo the walls surrounding the field to something like brick as they do look hideous with the bare concrete.