First Glance Predictions for 12-13?

It wasn't meant to be an exact, identical comparison but a general one. No way we finish 4th in the B1G next year and garner a 6 seed in the NCAAs. Not considering where we've come from, losing Gatens, etc.

Well thats how I see it playing out. Not as crazy as you make it sound as we shouldnt be losing to teams like Campbell or Clemson next year and Im hoping for a better B1G record based on the fact that we will have one of the weaker conference schedules again next year.

When do we get to read Garvey's prediction?

Well thats how I see it playing out. Not as crazy as you make it sound as we shouldnt be losing to teams like Campbell or Clemson next year and Im hoping for a better B1G record based on the fact that we will have one of the weaker conference schedules again next year.

When do we get to read Garvey's prediction?

Oh I think we can be an NCAA bubble team. I think that's realistic. Hope you're right though-I'd be glad to eat crow;).

Disagree. Losing Gatens leadership is a bigger deal than most think, but I don't think we're going to miss his on court contributions. We're going to make up for his offensive output with improved numbers from Basabe, White, and Marble next year. I think White takes over the leadership role and Iowa is more potent offensively next year.

The real question mark will be PG play. If one of the incoming freshman can run the point effectively we'll be in the NCAA Tournament.

The thing about great leadership is that it sticks with people long after the LEADER is gone.

I am certain many of you have had past "leaders" in your life that when push came to shove and the eyes were upon you... you looked within yourself and thought what would X have done?
You watched and learned from that leader... what Matt Gatens provided this team will continue. He was a great example on how to be.
Someone could say a team will fall apart without someone like Gatens, but what's to say they don't flourish?
Most go through a time in their life when they look around and realize they have nobody else to put THIS on and that it is THEIRS. Owning the moments come at a different age for everyone, some never.
We have many candidates on this Hawkeye team... the realization that he is gone makes all of them more responsible.

i said wild bull pumfus is gonna bodyslams everyone in conference and come out as top tiered team in conference and oh yes bodyslams ncaa for few rounds!. damn it

22 wins and 5th in BIG.

There were three major holes on Iowa's roster this season:
1. Complimentary 3-pt shooter to Gatens. I think Oglesby will be more consistent this season and averages around 13 pts. Improvements from Marble will help, but Gesell is a capable shooter and after seeing Clemmons in person he will draw attention driving and be able to kick to open guys.
2. Rebounding: Insert Woodbury, Meyer and an improved Olaseni and also a dedicated Basabe. White will get stronger and that will help as well, if Woodbury can occupy space and challenge, it will allow White/Basabe to block more shots on help defense. The end result of Woodbury taking up space and weakside defenders helping, the space Woodbury takes up still gives Iowa a better chance to get the rebound on a bad miss rather than someone having a free path to the ball. His size will allow him to cover more area. Meyer should help in this area as well.
3. Quality depth...goes without saying really and yeah there are freshman that will be leaned on, but Clemmons is for real and all indications point that Woodbury/Meyer are as well. The wild card is Ingram. If this bench can give quality minutes and prevent the long scoring droughts that we all knew were coming, Iowa wins 6 more games.

There are other issues that Iowa has to address, but these were the biggest. The other holes like some more athletic wings can be addressed with a JUCO or in the 2013 class as there are some players Iowa is going take runs at.

Originally Posted by BasketballMan
"Gatens really isn't that big of a loss. He had six or so games this season in a row where he was really good, other than that he has been average."

Clearly a person who has not a clue about the game of basketball.

:confused:

Are you sure you coming to that conclusion based on logic and not emotion?

By saying he was average I don't mean he was a poor player by any means, but his level of play on the year was no where near where it was on his hot streak.

Thats a plainly obvious truth, except it or not

Like I said. Whoever posts this kinda stuff has not a clue about the game of basketball. Ask any of the kids on the team, especially the underclassman, just exactly what Gatens meant to the team / lockerroom, etc.

one thing for sure, we`re not gonna play like wisconsic flipfloppers, we`re gonna play like the man we should be, we gonna come in like a thief and bodyslams . we`re gonna make this game last game bo ryan ever coach

Originally Posted by BasketballMan
"Gatens really isn't that big of a loss. He had six or so games this season in a row where he was really good, other than that he has been average."

Clearly a person who has not a clue about the game of basketball.

:confused:

Are you sure you coming to that conclusion based on logic and not emotion?

By saying he was average I don't mean he was a poor player by any means, but his level of play on the year was no where near where it was on his hot streak.

Thats a plainly obvious truth, except it or not

Like I said. Whoever posts this kinda stuff has not a clue about the game of basketball. Ask any of the kids on the team, especially the underclassman, just exactly what Gatens meant to the team / lockerroom, etc.

"The game of basketball" Oh please, give me a break.

We are talking about next year, not what would happen if you went back in time and took Gatens off of this years team

Im sure Gatens was a great locker room guy, guess what next year other people will step up and be leaders. Leadership is not some exclusive trait belonging only to Matt Gatens.

With the experience of the returning players and a big influx of talent this team will continue to improve and be fine.

We need to take care of the games we are supposed to. You look at this year and beat campbell, Nebraska at home, and PSU on road and steal 1 from either UNI or ISU and we are at 20. That is with losing to Northwestern twice but beating WISC twice. If we can beat the nebraskas and PSU at both places and the rest of the games win the home battle then we will be looking pretty solid in BIG.

You have yet to see this team run and gun like Fran wants them to. You will see this next year.

Iowa will lead the B1G in scoring with a 79.3 ppg, but will be towards the bottom again in scoring defense but have an improvement 67.2 ppg.

I believe site unseen with the talent already here and what seems to be coming in this team has 19-20 wins next year before the B1G turnny.

I will also be as bold to say Clemmons and Ingram will be the big surprises next year.

On an unrelated side note I am a little annoyed with the side banner of FansEdge oregon gear ad on my screen right now!

The Big Ten is going to be brutal next year. The conference probably will be better next year than it was this year. It is conceivable that Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, O$U & Wisconsin will all be in the preseason top twelve.

Let's be realistic, it looks like Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue & Northwestern will battle for the 6th & 7th spots. The Hawks could be significantly better next year & still finish 7th. Then there is Nebraska & Penn State.

Iowa had a very good recruiting class this year. Yet, it is generally considered to be the 5th best class in the Big Ten & that is with O$U possibly not bringing in any recruits this year

The Big Ten is going to be brutal next year. The conference probably will be better next year than it was this year. It is conceivable that Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, O$U & Wisconsin will all be in the preseason top twelve.

Let's be realistic, it looks like Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue & Northwestern will battle for the 6th & 7th spots. The Hawks could be significantly better next year & still finish 7th. Then there is Nebraska & Penn State.

Iowa had a very good recruiting class this year. Yet, it is generally considered to be the 5th best class in the Big Ten & that is with O$U possibly not bringing in any recruits this year

I dont see how Wisky is going to be better next year. They will be good, they always are under Bo, but I dont see them being preseason Top 12. I know they have Dekker coming in but I just dont see it.

I dont see how Wisky is going to be better next year. They will be good, they always are under Bo, but I dont see them being preseason Top 12. I know they have Dekker coming in but I just dont see it.

They also have redshirt freshmen Uthoff & Marshall joining the squad. Marshall is considered an excellent point guard prospect similar to Dillard of Dayton.

They do lose Taylor & Wilson, but everybody else is back. Wisconsin will be better next year.

Latest posts