First Glance Predictions for 12-13?

11-2 OOC
11-7 B1G

22-9 Overall

4 seed in the B1G Tourney and win one.

23-10 heading into the NCAA Tourney as a 6 seed.

Do you think you are funny, witty, or original? Seriously, I have no idea why you post this moronic garbage in every forum available to you. The OP posed a legit quesion and you respond with your canned stupid response.

It's guys like you that ruin these forums for everyone, but as long as you amuse yourself right.....

Oh, so an optimistic assessment that we will win 28-30 games is ruining the forums for everyone, huh? Here's a newsflash, a bunch of Hawk killers (Sullinger, Green, Shurna, Hummel, Taylor, etc.) are either graduating or are likely to leave the B10. Iowa is also likely to get better and won't drop games to teams like Campbell, Clemson, Northwestern, Nebraska, Penn State, etc. Based on how this team played at the end of the season, 3 wins in the BTT is also a strong possibility. We will not lose the games we shouldn't lose and we will also have even more success against the top teams in the conference. It's gonna be a big season and sorry if I can't be as negative as you would like.

We were 16-15 in the regular season this year and I think we should see an improvement overall in the wins/loss totals next year. My guess however is that we see more wins in the OOC schedule and a win or two less in the B1G. 17 or 18 wins is probably where we will end up, and as long as we don't see any crappy losses to no-names and Nebby, we should be a solid lock for higher NIT seeds. And if the chips fall right maybe a dance bubble team.

We were 16-15 in the regular season this year and I think we should see an improvement overall in the wins/loss totals next year. My guess however is that we see more wins in the OOC schedule and a win or two less in the B1G. 17 or 18 wins is probably where we will end up, and as long as we don't see any crappy losses to no-names and Nebby, we should be a solid lock for higher NIT seeds. And if the chips fall right maybe a dance bubble team.

Dont understand your reasoning in regards to our B1G record. We play the same teams as we did this year. We get Illinois and MSU at home and travel to OSU and Michigan. We play every other team home and away.

11-2 OOC
11-7 B1G

22-9 Overall

4 seed in the B1G Tourney and win one.

23-10 heading into the NCAA Tourney as a 6 seed.

Other than I think they get one fewer win in conference and a slightly lower seed in the NCAA, I agree. While the Gatens and Cartwright losses hurt, combine what they have back with what they are bringing in, there should be some improvement next year, though I think a bit less than this year. If they can really nail down the defensive end, however, they could see a massive improvement. I'm basing my projections on similar or slightly better D as I think they see a significant jump in offense.

I am hoping Fran adds a juco wing who can defend,slash and score some.
If that happens: I see Iowa winning about 10-11 games in the non-conference.
Then in the league...8-10 wins. Overall 18-21 wins.
In the league,we will be battling for the 6th or 7th position,which puts us squarely on the bubble. It will be MSU,Mich,OSU,IU,Wis....then for 6th and 7th,which probably will be tourny teams, it will be a battle between Iowa,NW,Purdue,Ill, and Minny. Only PSU and Neb will be true bottomfeeders.

Hawks will be back to the NIT or slip into the NCAA next year.
The Big Ten will be the best league in the country once again,but will get more respect with 7 or 8 teams in the Dance.

Couldn't agree more!

Big Ten basketball brothers showing Iowa it has no choice but to raise its game | TheGazette

This seems like the same kind of prediction in football that says "we're gonna win 10-11 games this year."

How so? I gave an exact number of wins for out of conference and B1G games, not a range of a couple games.

Winning 10 or 11 games in football is 83%-92% of the games. If I predicted a basketball season on par with that I would have predicted 26-29 wins.

I dont understand your comparison, please explain.

Dont understand your reasoning in regards to our B1G record. We play the same teams as we did this year. We get Illinois and MSU at home and travel to OSU and Michigan. We play every other team home and away.

I just think that the loss of Gatens will hurt us enough that we won't produce as well in the B1G portion. I think that we do better in the non-con just because I don't foresee us losing to another Campbell type team and we don't have Creighton. UNI/Drake should be easier because they will be played at Wells now and we have a shot against ISU because it's at carver. Gatens was a big reason we won some of those B1G games, and until I see someone who can consistently step up and fill that void, I'm going to stick with my expectations.

Trust me, I would love to see a better outcome, and Fran so far has exceeded expectations, but I am setting my expectations there and everything better than that is gravy.

Dude, go join another forum. This team will win 28 games minimum and probably over 30 BEFORE the tournament. Final Four and then it will be a gamble if we get a national title. Will need some help to knock out one or two of the big boys.
Do you think you are funny, witty, or original? Seriously, I have no idea why you post this moronic garbage in every forum available to you. The OP posed a legit quesion and you respond with your canned stupid response. It's guys like you that ruin these forums for everyone, but as long as you amuse yourself right.....

lighten up Francis.

gesell - 8 pts, 4 assts
ogelsby - 9 pts 2 assts
marble - 12 pts 3 assts
white - 14 pts, 6 rebs
woodbury - 7 pts, 8 rebs, 1 block

basabe - 9 pts, 7 rebs, 1 blocks
clemmons - 5 pts, 5 assts, 2 steals
mccabe - 8 pts, 5 rebs
ingram - 4 pts, 2 rebs
meyer - 6 pts, 3 rebs

I think with some Defense this team could end up as a 4 seed in the BT and a 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament

If players reach this numbers. they score 82 points every game. that make them best offense in basketball.

Oh, so an optimistic assessment that we will win 28-30 games is ruining the forums for everyone, huh? Here's a newsflash, a bunch of Hawk killers (Sullinger, Green, Shurna, Hummel, Taylor, etc.) are either graduating or are likely to leave the B10. Iowa is also likely to get better and won't drop games to teams like Campbell, Clemson, Northwestern, Nebraska, Penn State, etc. Based on how this team played at the end of the season, 3 wins in the BTT is also a strong possibility. We will not lose the games we shouldn't lose and we will also have even more success against the top teams in the conference. It's gonna be a big season and sorry if I can't be as negative as you would like.

I would put down a wager with any person who thinks Iowa will win 28+ games next year. 20 wins is a more likely outcome.

That said, any post by OK4P is hard for me to take seriously.

I think you are dead wrong here, first of all there is nobody on the team that is anywhere near as good of a defender as he is period and second of all nobody has really shown they can shoot like he can from the outside consistently.

True but Gatens was an average on ball defender defender and a very good off ball defender on a team of awful perimeter defenders overall.

He is not what you think of as being a lock down defender though, someone who can pressure the ball 90 feet.

All three freshman guards will be better on ball defenders, and likely so will Marble, off ball they may not be as good though.

"Gatens really isn't that big of a loss. He had six or so games this season in a row where he was really good, other than that he has been average."

Clearly a person who has not a clue about the game of basketball.

:confused:

Are you sure you coming to that conclusion based on logic and not emotion?

By saying he was average I don't mean he was a poor player by any means, but his level of play on the year was no where near where it was on his hot streak.

Thats a plainly obvious truth, except it or not.

There's a reason Devyn had so many wide-open looks against Oregon and our post players were unstoppable against Dayton. After Gatens' run teams went all-out to stop him. That left huge passing lanes open in the Dayton game and sagging defense against Marble in the Oregon game. You don't replace that overnight.

My guess is that we're legitimately on the bubble for NCAAs next year. In or out, who knows. I will say that having a high seed (1 or 2), hosting a couple of games, and making a deep run in the NIT (getting to the Garden) wouldn't bother me at all. That tournament is turning out to be pretty damn cool.

To start the game Oregon was not paying attention to Marble on the perimeter, and why would they, he had only hit 15 3s on the year.

After adjusting Oregon stopped leaving him open for the most part and still kept the other shooter in check too.

This is very dumb.

A lot of our other guys got some pretty wide open looks because of the attention Gatens received from the other teams defense. Just because Gatens didnt put up a ton of points in the last few games doesnt mean he had no effect on the game.

He also received a ton of pressure at the end of the big ten season and made his open looks. Im not saying he won't be a loss but one that should be expected to be overcome.

He had plenty of shot attempts against Oregon that he was making against better defensive teams at the end of the b10 season. The fact is he just missed allot of shots, which other than that February steak was kind of the norm.

If players reach this numbers. they score 82 points every game. that make them best offense in basketball.

I have to agree with BumpThaBurrito. Those figures were a little gaudy for proposed averages. As another poster mentioned, we'll get dragged into some slow down games. Averaging 82 per, plus having a backup PG average 5 assists is a little out there. Not to the point of being ridiculous, though.

How so? I gave an exact number of wins for out of conference and B1G games, not a range of a couple games.

Winning 10 or 11 games in football is 83%-92% of the games. If I predicted a basketball season on par with that I would have predicted 26-29 wins.

I dont understand your comparison, please explain.

It wasn't meant to be an exact, identical comparison but a general one. No way we finish 4th in the B1G next year and garner a 6 seed in the NCAAs. Not considering where we've come from, losing Gatens, etc.

Latest posts