First Glance Predictions for 12-13?

Iowa will be an NIT team again next year. losing gatens will be a bigger deal than most think.

IMO it's the following season, barring defections or some other setbacks, that they could have a break out year.

Gatens really isn't that big of a loss. He had six or so games this season in a row where he was really good, other than that he has been average.

He was pretty much a non factor in the two nit games.

I am hoping Fran adds a juco wing who can defend,slash and score some.
If that happens: I see Iowa winning about 10-11 games in the non-conference.
Then in the league...8-10 wins. Overall 18-21 wins.
In the league,we will be battling for the 6th or 7th position,which puts us squarely on the bubble. It will be MSU,Mich,OSU,IU,Wis....then for 6th and 7th,which probably will be tourny teams, it will be a battle between Iowa,NW,Purdue,Ill, and Minny. Only PSU and Neb will be true bottomfeeders.

Hawks will be back to the NIT or slip into the NCAA next year.
The Big Ten will be the best league in the country once again,but will get more respect with 7 or 8 teams in the Dance.

Gatens really isn't that big of a loss. He had six or so games this season in a row where he was really good, other than that he has been average.

I don't think you are taking into account his effect on the team outside of shooting or performance in games (stats-wise). I believe his leadership and work ethic did a lot for this team. It rubbed off on the younger guys and Gatens made everyone better. He will be a big loss. The question is... will someone be able to step up and fill his role? I think someone will. Hopefully the loss of Gatens won't be as evident if our other players on the team/recruits are able to contribute right away.

But without him Iowa would have been a sub .500 team and the NIT wouldn't have happened. He was the sole reason for a couple of iowa's upset wins this year.

Take him away this past season and the tone on this board regarding basketball going forward is completely different right now. He will be missed.

"Gatens really isn't that big of a loss. He had six or so games this season in a row where he was really good, other than that he has been average."

Clearly a person who has not a clue about the game of basketball.

:confused:

I like the direction we're headed but I see the same same BIG record or maybe slightly worse...might win another non-conf game or two...overall I am expecting around 16 wins...people are underestimating the loss of Gater...he got this team probably 3-4 wins this year.

We will probably be starting two freshman...that should say it all...

Disagree. Losing Gatens leadership is a bigger deal than most think, but I don't think we're going to miss his on court contributions. We're going to make up for his offensive output with improved numbers from Basabe, White, and Marble next year. I think White takes over the leadership role and Iowa is more potent offensively next year.

The real question mark will be PG play. If one of the incoming freshman can run the point effectively we'll be in the NCAA Tournament.

I think you are dead wrong here, first of all there is nobody on the team that is anywhere near as good of a defender as he is period and second of all nobody has really shown they can shoot like he can from the outside consistently.

Wow you are one clueless person if you think that is true...

Iowa will be so much faster next year it will be mind blowing. However, this will lead to some sloppy play, before everyone catches up to the speed of the game.

Watching a certain player get caught in no man's land on D over and over yesterday really highlighted how challenged this team has been on quickness over the last four years.

Iowa will be so much faster next year it will be mind blowing. However, this will lead to some sloppy play, before everyone catches up to the speed of the game. Watching a certain player get caught in no man's land on D over and over yesterday really highlighted how challenged this team has been on quickness over the last four years.

quickness was the main place oregon had us and i believe that we will be much better in that area next year. we lose bc who was our quickest player but bring in 2 pgs that are probably just as quick if not quicker. gatens wasnt the quickest but was intelligent enough to make up for it. but ingram will be an upgrade in quickness (defensively). woodbury will most likely take over at center and even if he isnt quicker than mccabe his height will help out. also marble can move to the wing which makes him a little quicker because the wings arent as quick as pgs.

hopefully this added quickness will allow for less rotation and help on defense because we rotate very slowly and poorly breakdown so people go flying by our rotating defender (especially white - probably his only weakness this yr).

i am not worried about offense because i think gatens and bc will get absorbed from the incoming frosh and marble and white and basabe and ogelsby stepping up. but we will need someone to be a defensive stopper like matt was. i would prefer it not be marble (though he most likely has the biggest upside here). i would prefer someone other than marble because i believe some of matt's bad games were due to fatigue of playing 35+ mins guarding the top scorer on the other team. since i see marble being the main guy (and yesterday just cemented that) i dont want him to have as big of off days. if marble is the guy on defense too hopefully ogelsby or may or ingram can spell his time on the top wing scorer a little more than gatens got spelled this yr.

I'm thinking around 21 wins overall with a winning record in the Big Ten. They play the same conference schedule next year with the exception of the 4 one game teams, they flip those (OSU and Mich on the road, MSU and IL at home). They were close enoguh that even accounting for the upset wins I think they can improve their B1G mark by a couple of wins.

I think they end up around 78 ppg on offense and give up around 72 again on defense. I think their tempo picks up some, though it will be limited somewhat by the Bo Ryans of the B1G. I also think the make the Tourney at around an 8-10 seed.

There's a reason Devyn had so many wide-open looks against Oregon and our post players were unstoppable against Dayton. After Gatens' run teams went all-out to stop him. That left huge passing lanes open in the Dayton game and sagging defense against Marble in the Oregon game. You don't replace that overnight.

My guess is that we're legitimately on the bubble for NCAAs next year. In or out, who knows. I will say that having a high seed (1 or 2), hosting a couple of games, and making a deep run in the NIT (getting to the Garden) wouldn't bother me at all. That tournament is turning out to be pretty damn cool.

I see at least 20 wins. Sweet 16 looks solid. Looking forward to beating Clones at Carver. We are going to be tough at home next year!!

My guess is that we're legitimately on the bubble for NCAAs next year. In or out, who knows. I will say that having a high seed (1 or 2), hosting a couple of games, and making a deep run in the NIT (getting to the Garden) wouldn't bother me at all. That tournament is turning out to be pretty damn cool.

That's pretty much about what I expect for next year. We aren't losing a lot of players this year in terms of numbers, but Gatens is one big loss, and the newcomers are still freshmen, so they will be a little up and down. But the returning players ought to be improved, so I think in the end, next year will resemble this year, except for a bit improved IMO.

Conservatively, I will pick the Hawks as a bubble team that ends up in the NIT, but think the team will have a shot to sneak into the NCAA's as a lower seed (10 or so).

As others have said, the year after next (2013-14) could be more of a breakout season.

Dude, go join another forum. This team will win 28 games minimum and probably over 30 BEFORE the tournament. Final Four and then it will be a gamble if we get a national title. Will need some help to knock out one or two of the big boys.

Do you think you are funny, witty, or original? Seriously, I have no idea why you post this moronic garbage in every forum available to you. The OP posed a legit quesion and you respond with your canned stupid response.

It's guys like you that ruin these forums for everyone, but as long as you amuse yourself right.....

This is very dumb.

A lot of our other guys got some pretty wide open looks because of the attention Gatens received from the other teams defense. Just because Gatens didnt put up a ton of points in the last few games doesnt mean he had no effect on the game.

Do you think you are funny, witty, or original? Seriously, I have no idea why you post this moronic garbage in every forum available to you. The OP posed a legit quesion and you respond with your canned stupid response.

It's guys like you that ruin these forums for everyone, but as long as you amuse yourself right.....

How many times are you going to complain about this?

gesell - 8 pts, 4 assts
ogelsby - 9 pts 2 assts
marble - 12 pts 3 assts
white - 14 pts, 6 rebs
woodbury - 7 pts, 8 rebs, 1 block

basabe - 9 pts, 7 rebs, 1 blocks
clemmons - 5 pts, 5 assts, 2 steals
mccabe - 8 pts, 5 rebs
ingram - 4 pts, 2 rebs
meyer - 6 pts, 3 rebs

I think with some Defense this team could end up as a 4 seed in the BT and a 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament

Latest posts