FIRE MCCAFFERY NOW

Yes sir. 1999. I hope Iowa doesn’t miss the opportunity to get him before he goes somewhere “bigger”

Well, he was outcoached on many plays in the 2nd half.
I can't believe Fran didn't get pissed and red faced like he usually does when we play bad. I think he thought we would turn the switch on at somepoint and it didn't happen. It was like he wasn't concerned until the last five minutes of the game

Worst Iowa basketball game I have ever seen.

Seriously? Worse than the 1981 first round loss to Wichita State with Lute's going to the 4-corners offense to start the second half when we were ahead by 11 at halftime? Worse than the 1978 first round loss to Toledo when we were up 12 at halftime (after we tied for the Big 10 Championship)? Worse than the 2006 first round loss to Northwestern State where we were up by 4 at halftime and couldn't take care of the ball in the second half?

I could go on, but you SHOULD get the point.

I can't believe Fran didn't get pissed and red faced like he usually does when we play bad. I think he thought we would turn the switch on at somepoint and it didn't happen. It was like he wasn't concerned until the last five minutes of the game
Overconfidence may have been one of numerous factors. If the coaches were exuding it you know the players were.

Seriously? Worse than the 1981 first round loss to Wichita State with Lute's going to the 4-corners offense to start the second half when we were ahead by 11 at halftime? Worse than the 1978 first round loss to Toledo when we were up 12 at halftime (after we tied for the Big 10 Championship)? Worse than the 2006 first round loss to Northwestern State where we were up by 4 at halftime and couldn't take care of the ball in the second half?

Stan Joplin.

Goes down in the annals with Pembrooke Burrows, Anthony Drejaj, and Jermaine Wallace.

Drejaj, of the Saint Louis Billikens, knocked Iowa out of the first round of the NIT with a corner three at the buzzer just after Pierre Pierce had made a nice move in the lane to apparently give Iowa the win. Saint Louis came down and drove hard to the bucket, sucking all of Iowas defenders toward the lane. They kicked out to a wide open sniper in the corner.

Alford was not fired, at least from Iowa and at least not officially. He resigned.
He did what he got good at. He got out ahead of the posse. He knew the writing was on the wall. And that was due to the Pierre Pierce stuff along with the early outs in the tournament. Maybe even some of his away from the game behaviors too. Dude was just a grade A douche bag. If you're winning with no scandals you can get away with that. But it gets tacked onto the list when you're not

Threads like this make me laugh. Iowa wins 26 games wins BTN tourny has for my $ the best player in the game (3 years running) but yeah lets fire the guy cause they lost a tourny game they probably shouldn't have.

If every school that lost a tourny game they thought they shouldn't have fired their coach the merry go round would be off the charts crazy. Is Gonzaga firing Few today? Kentucky?AZ? Aub hell Wisconsin etc etc. You're not going to see that very often and shouldn't. If not for other underlining reasons programs won't be making that sort of move and Iowa won't be either.

Some folks have different expectations I suppose and I get that. But big picture is always going to be the first thing looked at and Frans a good coach. Has program in a better then good place. The grass isn't greener folks ya'll forget the Licklighter era already? Moving on from Fran now would just be asking to be in the shoes Neb is in for the forseeable future. Let's not do that...

Last edited:
Threads like this make me laugh. Iowa wins 26 games wins BTN tourny has for my $ the best player in the game (3 years running) but yeah lets fire the guy cause they lost a tourny game they probably shouldn't have.
Well said and Fran and the team did take another big step showing they could handle a tournament stretch and win the Big 10 tourney. Another big goal is to have an outstanding season and win the Big 10 regular season title which is still the better conference title to have. And of course Fran needs to find some NCAA magic.

If every school that lost a tourny game they thought they shouldn't have fired their coach the merry go round would be off the charts crazy. Is Gonzaga firing Few today? Kentucky?AZ? Aub hell Wisconsin etc etc. You're not going to see that very often and shouldn't. If not for other underlining reasons programs won't be making that sort of move and Iowa won't be either.

Some folks have different expectations I suppose and I get that. But big picture is always going to be the first thing looked at and Frans a good coach. Has program in a better then good place. The grass isn't greener folks ya'll forget the Licklighter era already? Moving on from Fran now would just be asking to be in the shoes Neb is in for the forseeable future. Let's not do that...

Few won't get fired because he got Gonzaga to the title game last year. Kentucky won't fire Calipari because he has won hardware, but plenty of UK fans see the changes to the game and want him gone if they shit the bed next year. Pearl took Auburn to the Final Four a few years ago. They have attained actual results.

THE FANS RAN OFF DAVIS. THEN THEY RAN OFF ALFORD. IT JUST KEEPS GOING DOWNHILL, BUT I WOULD TRY TO BRING BACK ALFORD AND MAYBE KENO DAVIS AS AN ASSISTANT IF WE CAN GET THEM. AND PROBABLY BJ ARMSTRONG TOO.
Love that coaching staff. I'd finish it out with Steve Forbes and Chuck Long and have Bruce Pearl and Jimmy Collins as co-recruiting coordinators.

Few won't get fired because he got Gonzaga to the title game last year. Kentucky won't fire Calipari because he has won hardware, but plenty of UK fans see the changes to the game and want him gone if they shit the bed next year. Pearl took Auburn to the Final Four a few years ago. They have attained actual results.
Right they've all done stuff. So Fran winning 26 games and winning the BIG championship is nothing? Let's not contextualize the fact that coming into this season we'd lost not only the 2 time running POY but another NBA draft pick and 4 starters overall with expectations being they'd be 9th or lower in the league and not even making the dance.

So you get rid of Fran then what? Who we gonna bring in? We most likely lose CM, PM, and new recruit Bowen. JT might be leaving anyway. The program could quickly nosedive and unless whomever we bring in catches lightning in a bottle playing the transfer portal game like ISU did....

Fran has the program in a good spot. There's room for improvement sure. That's what got Mr. Davis pushed out too. It's like we don't pay attention to history. Yeah Mr. Davis got us into the 2nd round every yr. But is that good enough? After a while it wasn't for him.

All of this is mute Barta isn't even considering a coaching change. Not a lot in sports shocks me nowadays but if Barta fired Fran before next season with no other underlining reasons behind it I'd be shocked by that.

Good call outs. It certainly belongs in that group.

Latest posts