Finebaum: If Saban wins he will be seen as best college coach ever, for all sports

uihawk82

Just heard him on TV and he said Saban could be and probably is the greatest coach of all time in any college sport with a win.

Hello Dan Gable and John Wooden. What say you??

Would this be Saban's 6th Natty Champ? Hello. Gable had a run of excellence and championships that is out of this world. And it was in a sport where one or two totally awesome athletes do not get you very many more points than your weakest winner during a meet. Hell Bama isnt even that awesome this year and here they are in the title game mainly because of a super qb and a great receiver plus really good teammates.

I should also say that Wooden had two awesome centers to help get him 6 or 7 titles but he already had a few with more ordinary players who never made it big in the pros. His first title team was undersized but pressed their way to victories and played Wooden team ball.

Hard to compare FB with all other sports. Each is so different as you know.

Fine-bomb is reaching.

Maybe Bill Snyder is the greatest of all time. Kansas State was one of the worst programs in college sports history when he took over there. He led them to incredible success. Saban quit on Michigan State because "I can't recruit effectively against Michigan and Ohio State" (his words).

Lots of dudes can win at Alabama. I don't think it makes you the greatest coach of all time in college.

Just my two cents.

Maybe Bill Snyder is the greatest of all time. Kansas State was one of the worst programs in college sports history when he took over there. He led them to incredible success. Saban quit on Michigan State because "I can't recruit effectively against Michigan and Ohio State" (his words).

Lots of dudes can win at Alabama. I don't think it makes you the greatest coach of all time in college.

Just my two cents.
Hayden Fry and Iowa...same as Snyder and KState.

However, after the "Bear" not a lot of people won (big) at Alabama:

Perkins, Curry, Stallings, DuBose, Franchione, Price, Shula,

Stallings won a natty championship but then either went back down or retired

If Mr. Saban wins tonight he will undoubtedly be the best college football coach ever. Mr. Bryant is a close second.

Gable and Wooden and dare I say that fella who coaches the UConn women's basketball team have to be better or at least tied for the best.

We were shit after Bear retired. Stallings won one but then it was 17 years between his title and Mr. Saban's. Can you imagine 17 years without a title?

Greatest of all time? I don't know about all that. What I do know is what he is doing is really fucking special.

The era between Bryant and Saban was dominated by the three big Florida schools. Saban arrived at Bama just as FSU and Miami were coming back to the pack and then the Urb left Florida. Tennessee had some strong years in the nineties as well.

Wooden's best teams could have won 30-40% of their games in the NBA and you can't say that about any other college team. The winner of tonight's game would get trounced 66-0 by the Lions or the Jaguars.

Not Alcindor's Bruins however. Alcindor, as a college senior, would have been one of the ten best players in the NBA. Some of his teammates, at UCLA, would have been top 40-50 NBA players.

In Wooden's day there were fewer NBA teams which would presumably mean more college talent. And the best players stayed four years. Today an Alcindor or Bill Walton or even Robert Parish would completely bypass college if that was their choice.

The era between Bryant and Saban was dominated by the three big Florida schools. Saban arrived at Bama just as FSU and Miami were coming back to the pack and then the Urb left Florida. Tennessee had some strong years in the nineties as well.
You certainly paid more attention to the SEC than I did1 :)

First of all Finebaum is a $EC goon, who gives a shit what he says or thinks outside of $EC land?

I won't deny what Saban did at Alabama is impressive, he got the program back on top and then kept it there. There isn't a football recruit in the country that wouldn't take Saban's call. He's only lost 24 games in 15 years at Alabama and 6 of them came in his first season, that's unbelievable. But GOAT in all sports? Like someone else mentioned what Snyder did at Kansas State was more impressive and he rebuilt them twice. What Hayden did at Iowa was more impressive. Saban just took the advantages he had available at Alabama and made it work, like any other great coach would.

Latest posts