Figure we may get a kick out of this

This. They come by it honestly. In 2001, I had a dad approach me asking why his kid was still playing. He was in a slump and can't field a thing. I saw it differently. He ended up 2nd team all state. Not as bad as dad thought.

This year I had a daddy call me and was mad that I pinch hit for his kid AND didn't tell Jim why. We were up by 13 and I sent up 3 PH's in a row. "My son was in tears when he got home and wants to quit."

Hope I'm dead when the next generation comes around. I can't even...
Dude... God bless the guys who are trying to honestly coach up our youngsters. I got roped into co-ed Tball for 4 yr olds 2 springs ago and even that was ridiculous. I mean the kids were the best part and the parents of the kids on our team were all great. But the other teams coaches and parents were ridiculous. It was terrible. They wanted to make it as stupid competitive as they could. When most of the kids had to be told the basic rules all the time. The kids didn't comprehend almost any of what was going on out there just learning the game. Yet these other coaches and parents were treating it like it was game 7 of the world series. Our practices were a lot of fun though that made it worth it seeing the kids learn. But man I haven't done it since and doubt I will
Parents should not be able to attend games until their senior year of HS. dead serious. We have streaming technology, f'n use it.

My worst one this summer (so far)...

We have the worst baseball participation numbers in the history of our school; we're 2A and have 16 kids out from 9-12. It's a total disaster. Anyway, after the first game I always have my JV catcher shag varsity infield with our main catcher (we only have one guy). I have a specific routine and I never vary it. This JV kid knows exactly what what he's supposed to do and when. I have him set balls out in certain spots for catcher bunt coverages and throws down so I don't have to try and have some 8th grader throw me some, basically he knows that as soon as the JV game is done it's his responsibility to get buckets, balls, etc ready. EVERY f'n game he's never in the dug out when I'm ready, and he's always out getting popsicles or pizza, or talking to his mom or some shit. Well I chewed his ass the other night and told him after the JV game, "You need to stay in the dugout no matter what until we're done with varsity infield. No exceptions." After that he can do whatever he wants.

So last night we get done with infield, and right after lineups/anthem his dad came IN THE DUGOUT to ask me what my problem is, lol. Gives me the spiel about how his kid is done playing, so why does he have to stay in the dugout, blah blah blah...right in front of my players. Says it's hot and he can go get some popsicles or Gatorade if he wants, and why can't he go talk to his mom...yadda yadda.

I don't know about you older guys, but if I was a JV player getting asked by a coach to shag varsity infield and show that I wanted to be a team guy, I'd be all over that shit and proud to do it. I have no clue what's up with these freakin kids.

Parents should not be able to attend games until their senior year of HS. dead serious. We have streaming technology, f'n use it.

We have the worst baseball participation numbers in the history of our school; we're 2A and have 16 kids out from 9-12. It's a total disaster. Anyway, after the first game I always have my JV catcher shag varsity infield with our main catcher (we only have one guy). I have a specific routine and I never vary it. This JV kid knows exactly what what he's supposed to do and when. I have him set balls out in certain spots for catcher bunt coverages and throws down so I don't have to try and have some 8th grader throw me some, basically he knows that as soon as the JV game is done it's his responsibility to get buckets, balls, etc ready. EVERY f'n game he's never in the dug out when I'm ready, and he's always out getting popsicles or pizza, or talking to his mom or some shit. Well I chewed his ass the other night and told him after the JV game, "You need to stay in the dugout no matter what until we're done with varsity infield. No exceptions." After that he can do whatever he wants.

So last night we get done with infield, and right after lineups/anthem his dad came IN THE DUGOUT to ask me what my problem is, lol. Gives me the spiel about how his kid is done playing, so why does he have to stay in the dugout, blah blah blah...right in front of my players. Says it's hot and he can go get some popsicles or Gatorade if he wants, and why can't he go talk to his mom...yadda yadda.

I don't know about you older guys, but if I was a JV player getting asked by a coach to shag varsity infield and show that I wanted to be a team guy, I'd be all over that shit and proud to do it. I have no clue what's up with these freakin kids.

Jesus. Hand the guy the god damned clipboard and leave.

Hahah I know exactly what you mean. It's tough. We had so much more fun with the practices we had for it. Me and another coach could split em up and work on hitting and fielding kinda sorta. We made it fun with running the bases. Our team name was the Grasshoppers and everytime we ended practice and games we'd do the 1 2 3 GRASSHOPPERS thing where they yell and they seemed to love doing that more then anything.
The funny thing is we have club soccer training immediately after so I'm at all his practices and they're entertaining and fun to watch. I think its the whole everyone bats through the entire lineup each inning and the fact there may actually be a total of 5 combined outs during the course of an entire game that drives me nuts. It's just painful.

Jesus. Hand the guy the god damned clipboard and leave.
It's bad. There are a couple schools in every conference that have a ton of culture built up, and have great participation and commitment for kindergarten on...and then there are schools like us with barely enough interest to field a team and zero fundamentals growing up.

Not to change subjects, but I completed my 3rd game of tee ball plus (Coaches pitch w/ tee on standby) last night as a parent, and I cannot fathom a worse sporting experience as a fan. I have no issue with baseball, but I have not come across a sport that I absolutely despise prior to this. Great kids, great coach, and even enjoy the parents, but there's just so much of it that drives me absolutely insane...and my kids one of the best on his team lol.

That's how we start down here once the kids are three and a half. We do a fall and spring season and I coached last fall because participation was super low due to The Germ. My wife set up a pizza party in the outfield after our last game and I told everyone there we had a duty to give those kids a normal childhood. A bunch of people said little league was the best thing their kids experienced in 2020. One kid who had a pretty rough time at home cried pretty hard when the season was over.

We cap the games at an hour. I'd rather watch 3 of those games in a row than 3 hours of MLB. It's fun. Sure, there are some assclowns like the guy who showed up to pitch for his kid's team in a full Greg Maddox ensemble, complete with cleats and stirrups, but the characters make the game interesting.

The funny thing is we have club soccer training immediately after so I'm at all his practices and they're entertaining and fun to watch. I think its the whole everyone bats through the entire lineup each inning and the fact there may actually be a total of 5 combined outs during the course of an entire game that drives me nuts. It's just painful.

No way, those aspects are awesome. The worst part as a coach is coming up with a way to stop the dog piles because 90% of balls end up in three spots and everyone wants to make the play.

Sure, there are some assclowns like the guy who showed up to pitch for his kid's team in a full Greg Maddox ensemble, complete with cleats and stirrups, but the characters make the game interesting.
A coach in cleats is a dead giveaway that that guy got one career at bat his senior year when his team was down by 18 runs and it was about to start raining.

That's how we start down here once the kids are three and a half. We do a fall and spring season and I coached last fall because participation was super low due to The Germ. My wife set up a pizza party in the outfield after our last game and I told everyone there we had a duty to give those kids a normal childhood. A bunch of people said little league was the best thing their kids experienced in 2020. One kid who had a pretty rough time at home cried pretty hard when the season was over.

We cap the games at an hour. I'd rather watch 3 of those games in a row than 3 hours of MLB. It's fun. Sure, there are some assclowns like the guy who showed up to pitch for his kid's team in a full Greg Maddox ensemble, complete with cleats and stirrups, but the characters make the game interesting.
I'm with you 100% that its all about the experience and that the kids absolutely love it. But purely as a product, at that age, I think I prefer every other sport kids that age can participating in before watching a game. But I do enjoy the practices.

No way, those aspects are awesome. The worst part as a coach is coming up with a way to stop the dog piles because 90% of balls end up in three spots and everyone wants to make the play.
Haha everyone wants to make the play but not a single one of them can make it LOL. The rare combination of a player getting in the right spot, fielding the ball cleanly, and making a good throw to a player capable of catching it requires the stars to align perfectly and time to stand still.

I've heard its even worse when the players actually stop pitching. That said my kid is playing Y ball because he wanted to try it out and almost everyone missed last year due to covid. My ticket to the shit show is punched.

Haha everyone wants to make the play but not a single one of them can make it LOL. The rare combination of a player getting in the right spot, fielding the ball cleanly, and making a good throw to a player capable of catching it requires the stars to align perfectly and time to stand still.

I've heard its even worse when the players actually stop pitching. That said my kid is playing Y ball because he wanted to try it out and almost everyone missed last year due to covid. My ticket to the shit show is punched.

When I coached last fall, I had this kid Ethan on my team. He was the oldest kid on the team. I'd line him up between first and the mound and he'd gather every dribbler toward first and step on the bag. Kid would get 6 or 7 outs per inning. I had him do it the first inning of every game just so some jackass baseball dad couldn't talk about their team winning.

The throw to first is a fucking disaster. This one kid, Brody, took a shot to the dome from an Ethan throw and we had to stop the game to get his mom out there to get him to the dugout. I've been to a LOT of these games, I think we are through 3.5 seasons (spring 2020 got cut short by The Germ) and I've probably seen the throw to first executed maybe 3 times total. Key is to make sure a dad is backing it up to prevent a stoppage while the first baseman is trying to chase down the ball. You gotta keep the batting order moving. I basically run it like a restaurant. Team mom has the dugout. She gets the next kid prepped with bat and helmet. Then, there is an expediter who walks the kid to the on deck circle. That expediter has to get the kid to the box immediately when the ball gets hit. If you run that process properly things go a lot better. We had to run one game without it due to a volunteer shortage and I think the game took over an hour and fifteen minutes for 2 innings. Guh.

A coach in cleats is a dead giveaway that that guy got one career at bat his senior year when his team was down by 18 runs and it was about to start raining.

Not just cleats, though. Full Maddux gear. And not like "Oh I bought this Maddux shirt on Waveland for $9. Oh no, it was like the $300 authentic MLB jersey. And the pants. And the socks.

Wisconsin Seniors Confronted HC Greg Gard in Secretly Recorded Meeting | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Is Dean Oliver still there and for how much longer after this if so? If I were him I'd get off that sinking ship.

It's an absolutely trashy move to record and air this dirty laundry to start with. So which ever one of those guys did that pretty much burned themselves. They have to know who did it. Process of elimination of the other guys who were there should be able to do that. It was a room of like 10-12 people is all not 50.

That being said to have their entire senior class pretty much who Gard recruited brought in and coached for that long all be so butt hurt over things is a terrible look for the program. I mean that dude has to be on all out damage control mode trying to rerecruit all the guys he has and bringing in. How this plays out going forward will be interesting...
It is sounding like it was an assistant coach and not a player who recorded the meeting.

It is sounding like it was an assistant coach and not a player who recorded the meeting.
Really? I hadn't heard that. That's a different wrinkle to it. Well if that is true whomever that was sure as hell had no intentions of staying and coming back this next yr.

Really? I hadn't heard that. That's a different wrinkle to it. Well if that is true whomever that was sure as hell had no intentions of staying and coming back this next yr.
Or working in NCAA sports again. I'm assuming something like that will red flag a coach and get him black listed really quick.

As always though it's the parents. I've coached little league for like 6 years now and I've always had a good experience though.
I coach HS and it's the kids that peaked in little league vs. the kids that passed them by that is the issue. That, and the parents whose lives revolve around their kid that they can't see the big picture and have passed that attitude along to their kids. The weird thing is, they are the worst when you're winning. When they know we suck, they give in to that fact and accept it for some reason. My team started off really slow because we have so many young kids playing. Now we've won 7 of 9 and nobody's happy. Sometimes I wonder why I do this anymore.

Hell, I would've shagged because I was scared of my coach, I respected my coach (didn't like him at all, but respected the position of authority), and would've loved being on the field with the varsity, even if it was for infield/outfield.

I had a parent that came down to the dugout 2 years ago and had taken a video of his son hitting and wanted me to see what he was doing wrong. I took the phone, thanked him, and put it in the helmet rack. Haven't talked to him since...and he's my next door neighbor...and his kid still can't hit.

As you know, when you don't have the numbers, you have to get creative with how you discipline kids. It's tough to bench them and you can't afford to have them quit for the sake of the other kids. I was no saint, but I can't see me, or anyone else I played with pulling the kind of crap kids do today.

You answered your own question. What is up with these freakin kids is the freakin parents. And it's that way every time.

It's bullshit and the coaches need to grow balls and tell parents, "your kid may or may not get playing time". Screw parents that live through their kids. Sick and tired of it.

I've heard that it was Alando Tucker who recorded and leaked the information to the press. Evidently Gard did not retain him as one of his assistants.

Latest posts