Figure we may get a kick out of this

Hawkfnntn

Wisconsin Seniors Confronted HC Greg Gard in Secretly Recorded Meeting | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Is Dean Oliver still there and for how much longer after this if so? If I were him I'd get off that sinking ship.

It's an absolutely trashy move to record and air this dirty laundry to start with. So which ever one of those guys did that pretty much burned themselves. They have to know who did it. Process of elimination of the other guys who were there should be able to do that. It was a room of like 10-12 people is all not 50.

That being said to have their entire senior class pretty much who Gard recruited brought in and coached for that long all be so butt hurt over things is a terrible look for the program. I mean that dude has to be on all out damage control mode trying to rerecruit all the guys he has and bringing in. How this plays out going forward will be interesting...

It's an absolutely trashy move to record and air this dirty laundry to start with. So which ever one of those guys did that pretty much burned themselves.
100% agree that it's a trash move, but since everyone but Davidson is gone from the program I don't think it's going to hurt anyone. Alvarez and Gard can't touch any of those players whatsoever anymore.

Releasing this thing so long after the fact and with such goofy timing in the summer was 100% to try taking the program off the rails. Someone at that meeting is still mad about whatever happened or didn't happen.

That being said to have their entire senior class pretty much who Gard recruited brought in and coached for that long all be so butt hurt over things is a terrible look for the program. I mean that dude has to be on all out damage control mode trying to rerecruit all the guys he has and bringing in. How this plays out going forward will be interesting...
I'd bet this is the beginning of the end for Gard. Alvarez is an old school guy who isn't going to let the inmates run the asylum, but at the same time he can't let recruiting disappear either. That can take decades to fix and he's not a guy who wants to let his twilight years and reputation get tarnished by something like a coaching scandal.

A guy I work with said something to the effect of, "he'll be fine, look what happened at Iowa and Ferentz Inc. is still clicking along..."

But this I think is different. Gard is the head cheese and face of the program, and he's the one being accused. Ferentz was able to distance himself from Doyle and Wallace and for the most part he had overwhelming support from current and former players, as well as some of the actual players making the accusations. I'd bet we see someone new on the sidelines sometime soon.

I'd bet this is the beginning of the end for Gard. Alvarez is an old school guy who isn't going to let the inmates run the asylum, but at the same time he can't let recruiting disappear either. That can take decades to fix and he's not a guy who wants to let his twilight years and reputation get tarnished by something like a coaching scandal.

A guy I work with said something to the effect of, "he'll be fine, look what happened at Iowa and Ferentz Inc. is still clicking along..."

But this I think is different. Gard is the head cheese and face of the program, and he's the one being accused. Ferentz was able to distance himself from Doyle and Wallace and for the most part he had overwhelming support from current and former players, as well as some of the actual players making the accusations. I'd bet we see someone new on the sidelines sometime soon.
Yeah I think so too about Gard. He'll need a fresh start. Basketball is just a different type of program then football. Much more intimate with how they can communicate directly amongst each other players and coaches. For football there's lots of guys who may have only a small handfull of conversations with the HC a year and not for very long. Football HCs have almost 100 players in the program at anytime plus all the hundreds of recruits they are trying to communicate with. HCs don't have enough time in the day hence why they have 20 assistants or whatever it is

With basketball HCs they can talk directly with all their players almost daily if they want to. Most certainly weekly. (Hence why all the CJ Fredrick stuff being what it was that direct communication between he and Fran is what that was all about)

What makes this bad to me is that it's so many seniors. Not guys that were only there 9 months. Guys that he recruited. Coached for 4 plus years and that's how they were feeling as their senior year was winding down. This kind of disconnect is really really bad. Like Gard should almost want to step down and take a year off to kind of figure himself out and why all those guys would be feeling that way.

I wonder if the rough year they had played into it some. But these last 5 yrs or so they only had one other rough yr I think 2017 they struggled but besides that they had mostly good seasons. So to what extent Ws and Ls had to do with it is hard telling. They obviously didn't want to have their SR seasons go that way. Hell we had a big part in that beating them 3 times.

Last edited:
100% agree that it's a trash move, but since everyone but Davidson is gone from the program I don't think it's going to hurt anyone. Alvarez and Gard can't touch any of those players whatsoever anymore.

Releasing this thing so long after the fact and with such goofy timing in the summer was 100% to try taking the program off the rails. Someone at that meeting is still mad about whatever happened or didn't happen.
Yeah it won't hurt whoever it is in a tangible way but if they had any pro aspirations or whatever they sure aren't going to get any glowing recommendations going forward. I'm pretty sure they'd have to know who it was by now with the players all talking amongst each other since then. For peats sake even those guys who all have that beef with Gard would agree that recording and airing that out was way wrong too. It'll be interesting if they make it public who it is or just stay quiet and hope it all blows over faster which would be my guess.

Barry Alvarez is one foot out the door he doesn't give two shits about this honestly. Isn't he retiring pretty darn soon? I mean he'd prefer this wasn't a thing but as far as having any serious interest in fixing it somehow he'll leave it alone. He'll let next AD decide how to proceed.

That's a tap below the belt. Of course, that's par for the course coming from that program.
Yep. If you're going to go mutiny mode on a coach that's one thing, but then to record him secretly and release it is bush league. Kills your credibility in a lot of ways.

It'll be interesting if they make it public who it is or just stay quiet and hope it all blows over faster which would be my guess.
It helps Gard's case that it wasn't a deal about abuse, racial issues, cheating etc...something super scandalous that the media likes to pick up on.

Sounds like he was just an asshole that liked to blame players and that was it. Probably not too uncommon in the coaching world.

It helps Gard's case that it wasn't a deal about abuse, racial issues, cheating etc...something super scandalous that the media likes to pick up on.

Sounds like he was just an asshole that liked to blame players and that was it. Probably not too uncommon in the coaching world.
Yeah it's not the worst thing in the world by any means. Others have came back from worse. But he doesn't have the resume his predecessor had or a Pitino or even a Bruce Pearl. The way other coaches are going to recruit against him going forward will be brutal and tough to rebut. I'll be curious how his staff holds together. If Oliver and other assistants jump ship on him he probably should step down and step back for a year or so. He's young enough he could get back in and reset somewhere else but I think trying to do it there with no hick ups along the way could be a bumpy ride.

Bunch of tissue-thin Sissys

Play basketball and listen to the coach at practice, and during the game, Punks

Attempt to keep your tender feelings to yourselves, GirlyBoys

Top 30 Zostaw GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

That's it.....Cry all the bitter tears out of the way

Carry On

Bunch of tissue-thin Sissy

Attempt to keep your tender feelings to yourselves.
This. They come by it honestly. In 2001, I had a dad approach me asking why his kid was still playing. He was in a slump and can't field a thing. I saw it differently. He ended up 2nd team all state. Not as bad as dad thought.

This year I had a daddy call me and was mad that I pinch hit for his kid AND didn't tell Jim why. We were up by 13 and I sent up 3 PH's in a row. "My son was in tears when he got home and wants to quit."

Hope I'm dead when the next generation comes around. I can't even...

Why couldn't this have come out when Shaka Smart was still available?

I mean, if Bucky REALLY wanted to sink into mediocrity......

Yep. If you're going to go mutiny mode on a coach that's one thing, but then to record him secretly and release it is bush league. Kills your credibility in a lot of ways.
Just ask Bruce Pearl. He should have been a rising D 1 star in the nineties. Instead he lost a decade and a half of his career languishing at D 2 Southern Indiana and mid major UW Milwaukee. Some at the time of the Deon Thomas incident, including Dick Vitale, said Pearl would never get a head coaching shot (paraphrase; Vitale's exact words were that Pearl committed "career suicide")

Something was off at the end of the year in Bucky Land. Micah Potter openly expressed displeasure at Gard or assistant Alondo Tucker during a timeout and got yanked from the game for a while. Nate Reuvers disappeared down the stretch, Aleem Ford as well.

This. They come by it honestly. In 2001, I had a dad approach me asking why his kid was still playing. He was in a slump and can't field a thing. I saw it differently. He ended up 2nd team all state. Not as bad as dad thought.

This year I had a daddy call me and was mad that I pinch hit for his kid AND didn't tell Jim why. We were up by 13 and I sent up 3 PH's in a row. "My son was in tears when he got home and wants to quit."

Dude... God bless the guys who are trying to honestly coach up our youngsters. I got roped into co-ed Tball for 4 yr olds 2 springs ago and even that was ridiculous. I mean the kids were the best part and the parents of the kids on our team were all great. But the other teams coaches and parents were ridiculous. It was terrible. They wanted to make it as stupid competitive as they could. When most of the kids had to be told the basic rules all the time. The kids didn't comprehend almost any of what was going on out there just learning the game. Yet these other coaches and parents were treating it like it was game 7 of the world series. Our practices were a lot of fun though that made it worth it seeing the kids learn. But man I haven't done it since and doubt I will

Dude... God bless the guys who are trying to honestly coach up our youngsters. I got roped into co-ed Tball for 4 yr olds 2 springs ago and even that was ridiculous. I mean the kids were the best part and the parents of the kids on our team were all great. But the other teams coaches and parents were ridiculous. It was terrible. They wanted to make it as stupid competitive as they could. When most of the kids had to be told the basic rules all the time. The kids didn't comprehend almost any of what was going on out there just learning the game. Yet these other coaches and parents were treating it like it was game 7 of the world series. Our practices were a lot of fun though that made it worth it seeing the kids learn. But man I haven't done it since and doubt I will
Not to change subjects, but I completed my 3rd game of tee ball plus (Coaches pitch w/ tee on standby) last night as a parent, and I cannot fathom a worse sporting experience as a fan. I have no issue with baseball, but I have not come across a sport that I absolutely despise prior to this. Great kids, great coach, and even enjoy the parents, but there's just so much of it that drives me absolutely insane...and my kids one of the best on his team lol.

Not to change subjects, but I completed my 3rd game of tee ball plus (Coaches pitch w/ tee on standby) last night as a parent, and I cannot fathom a worse sporting experience as a fan. I have no issue with baseball, but I have not come across a sport that I absolutely despise prior to this. Great kids, great coach, and even enjoy the parents, but there's just so much of it that drives me absolutely insane...and my kids one of the best on his team lol.
Hahah I know exactly what you mean. It's tough. We had so much more fun with the practices we had for it. Me and another coach could split em up and work on hitting and fielding kinda sorta. We made it fun with running the bases. Our team name was the Grasshoppers and everytime we ended practice and games we'd do the 1 2 3 GRASSHOPPERS thing where they yell and they seemed to love doing that more then anything.

As always though it's the parents. I've coached little league for like 6 years now and I've always had a good experience though.

As always though it's the parents. I've coached little league for like 6 years now and I've always had a good experience though.
I played on the little league baseball team. Because of my deafness the players didn't want me on their team but the coach told them we needed the catcher. We went from being a losing team to an undefeated baseball team. Good memories. I love being catcher.

Latest posts