Fighting for scraps off of the table

I've wondered about this, too. The last two times there was major expansion, TX and OU to SEC and MD and Rutgers to B1G, the Pac 12 just sat there and said they wouldn't be expanding at this time. Well they waited too long.

For one thing, why didn't the Pac 12 ever get on DirecTV? When they recently got their new Commissioner DirecTV was ready for them, had a channel number set aside and the terms were such DirecTV would agree. How much $$ did that leave on the table.

I just was listening to the radio over the weekend and they were talking about how the Pac 12 schools were haivng meetings on how to share conference revenue. It sounded like Merton Hanks, an associate commissioner or something, was leading the project. USC and UCLA were both saying they needed to be making more revenue from their local media rights. The rest of the schools weren't in agreement. They mentioned that UCLA is currently carrying a $30M athletic department deficit and pointed out that Northwestern is or soon will be getting $80M/yr from broadcast rights. Hearing this it isn't hard to understand why the LA schools started looking at their options.
The TV deals did screw them but I think their biggest obstacle is that they boxed themselves in geographically, which lead to the shitty TV deals. This is why the Big Ten got big, they expanded past their Midwest roots. It started with PSU and then added Rutgers & Maryland for an east coast presence and now they are headed west. This makes the Big Ten attractive to TV as they cover every US time zone except Mountain.

I am sure with the legalization of buying players in college sports, that a portion of the sports fan bases just fell off. I am talking about the fan bases that don’t necessarily like pro-sports because it is all about money.

Although boosters over the decades have corrupted college sports you still had some hope that there were pockets of integrity spotted across the landscape. Plus it was always fun to watch some of the local schools recruit local kids and watch some of them blossom.

I am guessing that is what has made the Iowa fan base as it sure as hell was never about winning conference titles or competing for nation titles with the exception of wrestling.

Some one posted a comment about fan attendance at some of California colleges. Seriously??? Those schools are competing against a ton of other distractions like professional sports and sandy beaches and bikinis. What a choice to have to make………. hmmmmm go to an Iowa game and watch the Iowa offensive shit show or drive out to the beach and watch all those bikinis move and bounce around. Hot brunettes dark tans racked and tight frame or go attend an Iowa game and watch zone blocking and three yard runs to the right side of the line. Damn life is full of tough choices. In those circumstances I don’t think Iowa’s attendance would be all that out on the west coast.

Speaking of which I spent several days in Hawaii enjoying Waikiki beach this past May…………… JUST DAMN!!!!! Iowa football was the last thing on my mind. ;)
I grew up in central Iowa, went to Iowa for school, and still hold season tickets at Kinnick. I love the hawks and it's in my blood. Having said that (and I hope I don't get hammered for saying this)...

I now live in LA and I totally get why people here don't get excited about college sports. First of all, there are a million things to do here. The weather (in west LA) is in the 70's pretty much year round. There are mountains and ocean within minutes. Some of the best food in the world. Entertainment, pretty girls...

People here do like sports, but it isn't their life. In fact, in terms of the student base (at least at UCLA), many of the students aren't from the United States, let alone the football crazy midwest. There just isn't the same unifying college sports scene like there is in Nebraska, Iowa, or Wisconsin. Also, big cities are just different. Even Minneapolis doesn't care THAT much about the goofers, unless they are winning.

I will always go back to kinnick and predict the zone stretch play to the short side of the field on 2nd and long and grimace, because that's just me. My two peers at work both surf. Sometimes, in the am before work. It's just different, and in a good way, honestly.

LMAO. His son isn't a major donor. Maybe he donates $100k a year. The school will laugh at a guy like that calling with a list of demands. Sure, they'll give him some assistant AD to make him feel like a big dog when he calls, but he ain't shit.

Donors who have sway over programs are dudes who founded big businesses and routinely donate 8 figures with 9 figure gifts not out of the question. They are dudes like Joe Jamail after whom the U Texas field is named, T. Boone, Phil Knight, Pat Ryan, etc.

And I hate to burst the bubble of the little Notre Dame circlejerk you live in, but ND ain't coming back if they join the Big Ten. ND has lost two of its last 3 against Northwestern and I think if they lost control of their schedule they'd be boned. The problem isn't that the Big Ten is full of juggernauts, the problem is that if you play in Camp Randall the second week of October, then draw Sparty at home the next week, then have to go play someone like Purdue or Northwestern the next week there's damned near no way you're going 3-0 unless you have some unreal team because the compounding effect of the hits you take through the Big Ten schedule just makes your team tend to get worse as the weeks grind on. I mean, how many times have we seen Iowa or Wisconsin or Purdue just take a total shit all over someone's season when they're ranked in the top 10? The middle of the Big Ten plus the weather variable is why it's so tough, but building teams for that weather is also why the Big Ten will always be inferior to the SEC.
The guy co-owns a two location (Michigan and Illinois) private practice clinic doing that 3D heart scan stuff and he has a bunch of patents in that field. He's a 7 figure annually donor, which--while not Pickens or Ryan--isn't a small donor. He told us the patents are where his bread and butter cash is, and the clinic stuff is play money, but not in those particular words. Judging by the income my employer makes on some ag patents, I'd have to agree.

Either way, ND coming to the B1G with the soon-to-be recruiting advantage and money stream bigger than their current TV deal stuff would be huge. They'll be in a better place than they are now, you can disagree if you want.

I grew up in central Iowa, went to Iowa for school, and still hold season tickets at Kinnick. I love the hawks and it's in my blood. Having said that (and I hope I don't get hammered for saying this)...

I now live in LA and I totally get why people here don't get excited about college sports. First of all, there are a million things to do here. The weather (in west LA) is in the 70's pretty much year round. There are mountains and ocean within minutes. Some of the best food in the world. Entertainment, pretty girls...

People here do like sports, but it isn't their life. In fact, in terms of the student base (at least at UCLA), many of the students aren't from the United States, let alone the football crazy midwest. There just isn't the same unifying college sports scene like there is in Nebraska, Iowa, or Wisconsin. Also, big cities are just different. Even Minneapolis doesn't care THAT much about the goofers, unless they are winning.

I will always go back to kinnick and predict the zone stretch play to the short side of the field on 2nd and long and grimace, because that's just me. My two peers at work both surf. Sometimes, in the am before work. It's just different, and in a good way, honestly.
A lot of people don't feel the same way, though.

I've unfortunately had to spend some extended time in so cal at different periods in my 20s and 30s. That place is an absolute unwashed butthole in my eyes and I'd never live there. My opinion is in no way politically-motivated, btw (except taxes I guess).

Everything is 3 times as expensive, and unless you're very, very wealthy you live in cramped suburbs three inches away from millions and millions of people at best, and in the hood at worst. I've never felt so unbelievably crowded in my entire life. I've also been to NYC and New Jersey quite a few times, and LA is even worse. The "crowdedness" out east is different some how. Can't explain it.

I totally get why someone wouldn't like Iowa, but I love it. I live in a town of around 5,000 people, in a 1,500 sq ft house, on a 3/4 ish acre double lot, that cost me $69,000 in 2008. It's paid off now and my only real fixed expense on the house is my $109 property tax payment.

I haven't locked my house in decades (I grew up in this house and bought it from my mom when my dad died), and I have no idea where my house key is. I've never had anything stolen in my entire life, I know all my neighbors, and we get along great. My job is a 7 minute drive away and they give me gobs of vacation time. They also donate all of my time spent coaching HS baseball because they feel community involvement is important.

My kid grew up like I did, and I love that. Once he got to be 5 or 6 years old, his summers were spent with his gang of buddies, leaving the house at sun-up, and coming home at suppertime when they got hungry. Usually dirty as shit from playing Army or fishing or baseball or whatever. I lived from age 6-10 in Phoenix and you can't do that shit in a city. I'm a day trip away from Minneapolis and Omaha, and less than an hour from Sioux City and Sioux Falls if I need something from a small-ish city. Anything else, I can fly cheap as hell.

I could go on and on, but the gist is that any cool shit you can do where you're at, I can fly there (I wouldn't) for a week and not have to put up with the crowdedness, traffic, crime, taxes, and just general buttholistic experience. I'm genuinely glad you love where you live. Honestly. Many folks don't. But California? Holy shit, fuuuuuuuuuck no.

I've unfortunately had to spend some extended time in so cal at different periods in my 20s and 30s. That place is an absolute unwashed butthole in my eyes and I'd never live there. My opinion is in no way politically-motivated, btw (except taxes I guess).

Everything is 3 times as expensive, and unless you're very, very wealthy you live in cramped suburbs three inches away from millions and millions of people at best, and in the hood at worst. I've never felt so unbelievably crowded in my entire life. I've also been to NYC and New Jersey quite a few times, and LA is even worse. The "crowdedness" out east is different some how. Can't explain it.

I totally get why someone wouldn't like Iowa, but I love it. I live in a town of around 5,000 people, in a 1,500 sq ft house, on a 3/4 ish acre double lot, that cost me $69,000 in 2008. It's paid off now and my only real fixed expense on the house is my $109 property tax payment.

I haven't locked my house in decades (I grew up in this house and bought it from my mom when my dad died), and I have no idea where my house key is. I've never had anything stolen in my entire life, I know all my neighbors, and we get along great. My job is a 7 minute drive away and they give me gobs of vacation time. They also donate all of my time spent coaching HS baseball because they feel community involvement is important.

My kid grew up like I did, and I love that. Once he got to be 5 or 6 years old, his summers were spent with his gang of buddies, leaving the house at sun-up, and coming home at suppertime when they got hungry. Usually dirty as shit from playing Army or fishing or baseball or whatever. I lived from age 6-10 in Phoenix and you can't do that shit in a city. I'm a day trip away from Minneapolis and Omaha, and less than an hour from Sioux City and Sioux Falls if I need something from a small-ish city. Anything else, I can fly cheap as hell.

I could go on and on, but the gist is that any cool shit you can do where you're at, I can fly there (I wouldn't) for a week and not have to put up with the crowdedness, traffic, crime, taxes, and just general buttholistic experience. I'm genuinely glad you love where you live. Honestly. Many folks don't. But California? Holy shit, fuuuuuuuuuck no.

My son has been in Japan bince June 3. Kid called me last night "Dad, I have $182 in my closet. Can you take $40 from it and go buy fireworks since I was gone on the Fourth of July? Can you believe that no one here did fireworks?" He has his priorities right.

My son has been in Japan bince June 3. Kid called me last night "Dad, I have $182 in my closet. Can you take $40 from it and go buy fireworks since I was gone on the Fourth of July? Can you believe that no one here did fireworks?" He has his priorities right.
Legalizing fireworks in Iowa was one of the best things government has ever done.

My experience growing up in small town Iowa (pop 300) was much like Fryowa describes, idyllic in a sense but I'm not sure what is has to do with B1G expansion. LA has lots of TV sets and like SoCal or not that matters.

I would guess many on this board have heard of Frank the Tank, an Illinois fan/alum living in Chicago that blogs alot, mostly about the B1G. Some don't like him but I find him interesting. Several years ago he was looking at B1G expansion and did a study on his own looking at the demographics of the whole USA with an eye on where the B11G might expand if looking purely at TV market share. His study determined there are four metro areas in the US with more B1G alumni than other metro areas. They were/are NYC, DC, LA and San Fran. Now I don't have any idea how seriously the B1G offices would look at this kind of stuff but it would make sense to be at least aware of it. So where has the B1G expanded into most recently, 3 of these 4 metro areas, NCY - Rutgers, DC - Maryland,, and now LA. What's left? SF. How come there isn't more discussion of Stanford? What a great fit they'd be. Maybe you take Cal but you don't have to. If ND decides to join, Stanford would fit just as well.

College football is dying on the west coast. Except the 9ers, pro is too. Rams, Charges, Raiders....

Is it truly decreasing or dying or is there just a massive shift from live attendance vs streaming or viewing? I think the NFL viewing numbers are up more than ever. I guess what is the denominator when evaluating. Those west teams have never really gotten fan support in the stadiums, unless a team is really having a great season. That may be getting worse though. USC have been having some .500 seasons and those fans shut down real quick.

Last edited:

Than there is "Skid Row", plastic surgery on the women which always seems to work well, and the fake ass vain people. :eek:

What's your address?

Is it truly decreasing or dying or is there just a massive shift from live attendance vs streaming or viewing. I think the NFL viewing numbers are up more than ever. I guess what is the denominator when evaluating. Those west teams have never really gotten fan support in the stadiums, unless a team is really having a great season. That may be getting worse though. USC have been having some .500 seasons and those fans shut down real quick.

It's dying. Racer mentioned part of it above. The exchange students make up a huge percentage of the student body at a lot of schools because they pay full freight out of state tuition. I do not believe they create much of a viable future fan base. The schools themselves are becoming nerdier than shit, too, because admissions is becoming a total bitch and you have to have ridiculous test scores to get in. Most of those kids don't give two shits about football.

NFL had a good year last year after getting worked over the past several years. If that's a permanent change is yet to be seen. They are clearly the undisputed kings of TV, though.

As a former avid NASCAR fan, I honestly think NCAA football is going down the same path as NASCAR. There will still be media deals squeezed out of the carcass, but the destruction of regional rivalries is a damned good way to kill the long term commercial viability of the product. This process started when Nebraska and OU lost their post-Thanksgiving game when the Big 12 was formed and we are on the precipice of seeing the entire model shat all over. I could historically find some redeeming qualities about many random games on the television on a Saturday, even some shit game like Northwestern versus Purdue, but when the product starts to become USC versus Rutgers and Oklahoma versus Vanderbilt that gets harder.

Cool story, bro. I love Iowa. May retire there. Read for comprehension. I never said Iowa sucked.

I was describing why people in LA don't follow college football like they do in Iowa.

Super happy you live a happy life in a safe, inexpensive area. That's how I grew up as well. Not everything is an argument.

Cool story, bro. I love Iowa. May retire there. Read for comprehension. I never said Iowa sucked.

I was describing why people in LA don't follow college football like they do in Iowa.

Super happy you live a happy life in a safe, inexpensive area. That's how I grew up as well. Not everything is an argument.
Never said you said Iowa sucked. Re-read for comprehension and you’ll see I congratulated you for finding a place you like. All I said was SoCal sucks and the reasons I feel that way. Wasn’t trying to persuade you, no argument, bro.

Exactly correct as far as the competition for fans and the selection of things out there to do. That was my point to. So when forty thousand peoe show up at a game out there, at the same time theee or four times more people are doing other activities and sports events.

Last edited:

Everything you said here is true and is why when you watch a west coast game the stadiums are rarely a sell out. It’s been this way for a long time, but how many people actually go to the games does not matter to the Big Ten it’s all about grabbing the Los Angeles market and charging the carriers their premium rates for all those TV sets in Southern California. IIRC I think the BTN rates jump from .10 to over a dollar for every cable subscriber that has the BTN and then they have more premier games to sell the major networks. Imagine the amount of money a USC vs Ohio Stats game adds to the conference. Plus I’m sure if Iowa gets an opportunity to play either USC or UCLA in California the fans will treat it like a bowl game. Heading to California in November sounds like fun and could replace bowl games, which are about to become obsolete.

Fry your making me home sick. Your story in Iowa sounds like my life except Belle Plaine is just 2000 people. My parents left their keys in the car all the time and didn’t even worry about locking the house. Our neighbors back yards combined with ours were big enough to play baseball and football.

Now I am out here in Utah in one of the hottest real estate markets in the country. People are flocking in here from California driving the housing markets through the ROOF (no pun intended).

I knew things would be a little expensive when we left Georgia (eff those SEC fans) and thought I would find a home for around $175k to $225k……….. yeah right. We went into a subdivision with a model home and saw the price of that home (the largest of five models) at $335k. I left thinking those people are NUTS. Four months later I bought the second to smallest model at $410k. That was four years ago. Our home is now valued at over $800k. The state passed a law allows people to rent their basements out regardless of some HOA restrictions. The homes are all crammed together with small yards. We got a corner lot so our yard is slightly bigger but about a fourth of the size of what I grew up with in Iowa.

Doors locked, both cars and house with a security system. Packages delivered from FedEx, Amazon, or UPS get stolen off of peoples porches on a regular bases (I hope they catch those Iowa state grads one day…….lol, Couldn’t resist, had to punch little sister there). Yet this whole community is all new homes with a sheriff’s station sitting right in the middle of the community. I am guessing drugs or ease of life is the reason for these kids who were raised in homes with upper middle class to wealthy parents. Seems this last couple of generations are opposed to hard physical work. That could be a combination of the millennials and the “Z” generation who have had it too easy in life. Maybe they should be called the “EZ” generation. You older guys know what I am talking about. I’ll get off my soap box for now. I know it’s not all of them, but more than I’d care to see.

I have considered moving back to Iowa. Sell the house and pocket $700k and buy a home in small town Iowa at maybe $125k to $200k and bank the rest. Have a large garden and a couple of rockers out on a front porch.

Unfortunately the wifey loves her two year old grand daughter here in Utah too much to want to leave………. sigh.

Everything you said here is true and is why when you watch a west coast game the stadiums are rarely a sell out. It’s been this way for a long time, but how many people actually go to the games does not matter to the Big Ten it’s all about grabbing the Los Angeles market and charging the carriers their premium rates for all those TV sets in Southern California. IIRC I think the BTN rates jump from .10 to over a dollar for every cable subscriber that has the BTN and then they have more premier games to sell the major networks. Imagine the amount of money a USC vs Ohio Stats game adds to the conference. Plus I’m sure if Iowa gets an opportunity to play either USC or UCLA in California the fans will treat it like a bowl game. Heading to California in November sounds like fun and could replace bowl games, which are about to become obsolete.
All great points. It's absolutely about snagging the #2 market in in the US, and the B1G stands to benefit. Big time matchups with the LA schools and storied big ten programs will be great for a national TV audience.

In current state, the Pac 12 games end at 1 or 2 am Eastern Time, and the stadiums are empty. That can't be good.

On a personal note, I'll be able to attend a few games in LA (as there are going to be TWO Big Ten schools here!), as well as trying to get back to a couple of games in Kinnick each year. I'm stoked.

Latest posts