Ferentz's Press Conferences

homes

I'd be happy to fill in for Ferentz. It would give him another hour to prepare for the next opponent. I'm pretty sure I could answer the questions in precisely the same way. In fact, I know I could.

Hopefully you have some extremely detailed nugget about some Pitt player from back in 1982 and one specific play he ran that sticks in your mind while at the same time saying you can't remember major plays or events from last week or last year.

Little dinged up. Great track execute. Their a good team. Clean some things up. Doing some good things. Got a ways to go. That about does it

Although KF gives non-answers in an exceptionally understated manner that I'm sure is near the gold standard of non-answer technique, a coach being a fountain of information in a pre-game presser is the exception and not the rule.

Distilled to its factual content, nearly all (if not all) fan bases hear relatively the same stuff, we have simply heard KF present it in the same manner for nearly two decades.

Nobody should really expect to hear anything different/more and, quite frankly, it is in the team's best interests for the coaches to be tight-lipped.

Really the only time that the press conferences are interesting are when a coach goes off on some negative article some newspaper guy wrote about the coach or the team. Nick Saban is the master of this strategy....Hayden also did it a couple of times.

Although KF gives non-answers in an exceptionally understated manner that I'm sure is near the gold standard of non-answer technique, a coach being a fountain of information in a pre-game presser is the exception and not the rule.

Distilled to its factual content, nearly all (if not all) fan bases hear relatively the same stuff, we have simply heard KF present it in the same manner for nearly two decades.

Nobody should really expect to hear anything different/more and, quite frankly, it is in the team's best interests for the coaches to be tight-lipped.

Really the only time that the press conferences are interesting are when a coach goes off on some negative article some newspaper guy wrote about the coach or the team. Nick Saban is the master of this strategy....Hayden also did it a couple of times.

I like Fran's press conferences, Joe Maddon is really interesting to listen to as well. Coaches like that are rare though, most coaches just stick to the normal boring coach speak.

I like Fran's press conferences, Joe Maddon is really interesting to listen to as well. Coaches like that are rare though, most coaches just stick to the normal boring coach speak.

Yes, I am so impressed with Joe Maddon. I hope he's with the Cubs for a long time. His voice just resonates and you just believe what he is saying. He's up front & tells it like it is.

Yes, I am so impressed with Joe Maddon. I hope he's with the Cubs for a long time. His voice just resonates and you just believe what he is saying. He's up front & tells it like it is.

Agreed, Maddon was the perfect hire for the young team that the Cubs have. Shore up the pen in the offseason and the Cubs have a real chance next year. They have a shot this year, but it would be a surprise to me if they got to the Series due to youth and, more importantly, the pen.

Comparing Maddon to KF with regard to pressers is difficult because baseball is a totally different game when it comes to disclosing info. Let's be honest, 95% of baseball strategy is pre-programmed. 99% in the AL. It is a game of individual matchups that are largely independent of one another (hence, the relatively high predictive nature of sabermetrics).

He's one of the most articulate off the cuff speakers I've ever heard. Gives really good, detailed answers to almost every question. He also has a lot of interests outside of baseball so he's much more well rounded than most coaches and he's a very positive guy.

Popovich can be like this too, but he keeps up his short, gruff facade for about 95% of his press conferences.

Hell Melrose, if he knows anything about football, he could be Iowa's next coach......;)

Hopefully you have some extremely detailed nugget about some Pitt player from back in 1982 and one specific play he ran that sticks in your mind while at the same time saying you can't remember major plays or events from last week or last year.
Got it. Since he was on the Pitt staff in 1980, I'd have to go with a great block by Mark May on a draw play against Boston College. 3rd and 8, if I recall correctly.

Little dinged up. Great track execute. Their a good team. Clean some things up. Doing some good things. Got a ways to go. That about does it

Don't forget about the Way Back Machine. Kirk always likes to relate a current player or situation to something that happened in the early 1980s.

Hell Melrose, if he knows anything about football, he could be Iowa's next coach......;)

No crap. A coach like that would be a terrific college coach. Articulate he is. He doesn't waste many words. He doesn't have long drawn out answers. He's quick too the point and articulate. It's hard to explain. I guess he has very efficient answers, if you will.

Latest posts