Ferentz, O'Keefe and Parker and expectations

Well, briefly, here goes. The U of I is about the 30th largest public school in terms of enrollment. It plays in the B1G. Every game is on TV. It gets 7 of 12 games at home. 4 of these games are against non-conference opponents. Its facilities are among the best in the nation. The U of I now has distinct recruiting advantages given its' proven track record of placing kids at the next level. The U Of I now has what some refer to as a "football tradition."

I could get in to how the football program gets mostly anything it wants from the athletic department, and cite factual examples, but I'm not going to get into that.

For these reasons, I believe they should almost always win at least 8 games per season (before the bowl bowl).

You may disagree. That's fine. You asked why I came to my conclusion, and I attempted to explain. No different of a thought process for me, than when I put together business projections for 2012, and going forward.

So THAT is why Iowa snaps up the 4 and 5 star recruits left and right! I always wondered why the top talent in the nation was lining up to play here.

Actually, as of 2009, just counting BCS conference schols, Iowa's enrollment was the 38th largest, so we are definitely not in the top 30. There are many non BCS schools, and even FCS level schools, that have a larger enrollment than Iowa as well.

How is what you listed about Iowa's advantages not equal to or lesser than 30-40 other programs around the country. Just in the B1G alone Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan State can claim the same. Most can claim better. But we don't compete with just B1G schools. How many other schools across the nation can boast a greater resume to prospective athlete's than Iowa?

So, start over now and tell me again what exactly makes Iowa so exceptional that we are owed a minimum of 8 victories a year???

Last edited:
So THAT is why Iowa snaps up the 4 and 5 star recruits left and right! I always wondered why the top talent in the nation was lining up to play here.

Actually, as of 2009, just counting BCS conference schols, Iowa's enrollment was the 38th largest, so we are definitely not in the top 30. There are many non BCS schools, and even FCS level schools, that have a larger enrollment than Iowa as well.

How is what you listed about Iowa's advantages not equal to or lesser than 30-40 other programs around the country. Just in the B1G alone Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan State can claim the same. Most can claim better. But we don't compete with just B1G schools. How many other schools across the nation can boast a greater resume to prospective athlete's than Iowa?

So, start over now and tell me again what exactly makes Iowa so exceptional that we are owed a minimum of 8 victories a year???

The first sentence you present as a a statement, but is actually a question, should be answered. We should be, but we have two coordinators unable to recruit currently. One health related, the other I'm not going to get into details about.

The second paragraph. There is a difference in public -v- private, and the charges they make for tuition.

Third paragraph, when you take my entire statement in context, I would maintain 30-40 programs might not be accurate. Even if I spitulate to this, I count at least 36 BCS teams this year with 8 wins. I could bore you with Title IX (I believe IX, I could be wrong about this), and how it affects different schools, given what their "foundations" might, or might not do, and how coaches are compensated, with differs greatly. I don't have a bunch of time right now. I'm not being critical, I'm just letting you know I do base my expectations on some sort of logic.

We disagree. That is all. I respect your position. I just approach my position more business like. Let's agree to disagree.

The first sentence you present as a a statement, but is actually a question, should be answered. We should be, but we have two coordinators unable to recruit currently. One health related, the other I'm not going to get into details about.

The second paragraph. There is a difference in public -v- private, and the charges they make for tuition.

Third paragraph, when you take my entire statement in context, I would maintain 30-40 programs might not be accurate. Even if I spitulate to this, I count at least 36 BCS teams this year with 8 wins. I could bore you with Title IX (I believe IX, I could be wrong about this), and how it affects different schools, given what their "foundations" might, or might not do, and how coaches are compensated, with differs greatly. I don't have a bunch of time right now. I'm not being critical, I'm just letting you know I do base my expectations on some sort of logic.

We disagree. That is all. I respect your position. I just approach my position more business like. Let's agree to disagree.

With all due respect, I don't think you approach your position very businesslike at all. Your expectations are built upon the emotions of how you would like Iowa to be and not from a dispassionate, objective or rational viewpoint. Iowa just simply is not as big time as you think it is.

Last edited:
Just to keep in mind. Phil Steele had Iowa ranked 118th of 120 FBS teams in numbers of returning starters this year.

That includes, of course, the most important position, quarterback. I think one of the major problems we had offensively was having a QB without much experience on the road(his strong @ OSU play in 2009 excepted).

I understand that we'll lose again a lot of starters on defense but no one will confuse the talent lost this year on defense and the four NFL draft picks and two three-four year starters we lost last year.

In short the guys we lose this year are going to be a lot easier to replace than the guys we lost last year.

Having a starting QB back will likely be a significant boost to the offense and more experienced/better depth at RB. The defense will be young at the DL but this isn't a unit that distinguished itself this year. The linebackers are young but, talent and they should only benefit from a year being Doylerized. I don't expect a banner season next year but this will be a more experienced team(overall) with better young talent on defense. My personal expectations are we win around 9 games next year with 2013 setting up to be another 2009 kind of year.

Last edited:
its does, how can you spell intelligent correctly but not does????????
Cached - Similar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Third person singular present tense of do1. does1. vb. (used with a singular noun or the pronouns he, she, or it) a form of the present tense (indicative mood)

That would be because I am dyslexic, and also have a major learning disability. Would you like to poke fun of that as well? Even though I try carefully to catch everything, I still miss stuff. They are things that I have fought to correct, and not allow to hold me back. Thanks for pointing it out really appreciate it. I am sure there are areas in your life that you do not perform 100%.

That would be because I am dyslexic, and also have a major learning disability. Would you like to poke fun of that as well? Even though I try carefully to catch everything, I still miss stuff. They are things that I have fought to correct, and not allow to hold me back. Thanks for pointing it out really appreciate it. I am sure there are areas in your life that you do not perform 100%.

It doesn't take a learning disability to accidentally type an s in front of an e. Don't worry about it. I really don't understand how people get on someone so bad for a type o

Public or private, the Hawks still have to compete against them the same, on the field, in recruiting, etc. The games we play against Northwestern are not exhibitions.

There very well may be 36 BCS teams with 8 wins this year, but how many get at least 8 wins every year, like you want the Hawks to, or even most years over the long term? Not nearly as many. Not even Ohio State, Texas or Florida can get 8 wins every year.

Interesting thread. Thanks to those that answered my post, with a differing opinion. I do read and think about others perspective.

Perhaps what I should have typed is an average of 8 wins.

Anyway, at least the last several were gentlemen about their differing opinion. It bothers me, the tone of some of the posts on here.

My thoughts exactly.

Ferentz is a wussy. He should play to win, not lose for 3.8 million. Take a freaking chance. Don't punt twice inside the 40 when you're getting pounded, might as well as just taken a knee on the punts also.....

I just read the OP and I have to say that's the most insightful, well thought out post I've seen on any message board. I won't bother reading all the replies since I'm sure everyone that's negative is all over the OP, but I just wanted to commend the OP. A dose of reality can go a long way, thank you for providing it

FWIW, there have been 5 programs who have won 8 or more games every year for the past 5 years. They are:

Virgnia Tech
West Virginia
Oregon
USC
Boise State

And USC required a 13th regular season game to reach 8 wins one year so in reality it's 4 teams.

I just read the OP and I have to say that's the most insightful, well thought out post I've seen on any message board. I won't bother reading all the replies since I'm sure everyone that's negative is all over the OP, but I just wanted to commend the OP. A dose of reality can go a long way, thank you for providing it

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Wanting something to be true is not the same as it actually being true. Iowa has a tremendous amount to be proud of and is certainly one of the better programs in the country, but we are still not one of the elites, as much as people around here want it to be, including myself.

The bold is what bothers me the most...
Iowa fans who are content with mediocre seasons.
Iowa fans who appear not to care if Iowa gets better.

Like I've posted before, why pay wasted top 5 coaching salary on a coach that clearly is top 25 at best?

It's simple economics isn't it? Iowa's athletic department is paying big money for a coach that's mediocre.

Supply and demand. Which leads me to believe the Iowa athletic department really wants a mediocre coach. How much would Iowa's athletic department pay to, for example, Mike Sherman of A&M? He's available.

EDIT: More likely, Iowa's athletic department is treasuring Ferentz for some other reason than wins and loses. If someone wants to start that thread, I'd sure like to participate.

Last edited:

Whether you can or can't...you're right.

This attitude among fans is why nothing is going to change. If Barta and Ferentz know that we're content with 7-win seasons and going to the No-Name Bowl, what incentive do they have to strive for more? Win or lose, they get paid just the same.

Like I've posted before, why pay wasted top 5 coaching salary on a coach that clearly is top 25 at best?

It's simple economics isn't it? Iowa's athletic department is paying big money for a coach that's mediocre.

Supply and demand. Which leads me to believe the Iowa athletic department really wants a mediocre coach. How much would Iowa's athletic department pay to, for example, Mike Sherman of A&M? He's available.

EDIT: More likely, Iowa's athletic department is treasuring Ferentz for some other reason than wins and loses. If someone wants to start that thread, I'd sure like to participate.

Please tell me where I said that I was content with mediocre seasons??? I know that I am absolutely not content at all with mediocre seasons, so I highly doubt I would have written anything close to that.

In fact, in my original post I stated that I was frustrated with KF and a number of aspects of his coaching style and I have even stated that I thought we should have won more games, both this year and last and that the coaches had to shoulder a lot of the blame for it.

I am not saying that I am happy and content with where the Iowa football program is right now, I am just making an objective and dispassionate recognition of where the program is, who we are and how it ranks in the B1G and nationally.

I am just voicing my frustration with all of the Hawk fans who think we are Ohio State and owed 8, 9, 10 victories every year and should be in BCS bowls more often than not.

I am saying that we have come a long way, that we have a lot of assets and that we have a lot to be proud of, but we just simply are not YET an elite program that can realistically have such lofty expectations.

Note: expectations and goals are different things. We should absolutely have the highest of goals. We should always be building and growing and pushing for more. Just don't think that the sky is falling when we struggle along the path to those lofty goals.

Last edited:
Whether you can or can't...you're right.

This attitude among fans is why nothing is going to change. If Barta and Ferentz know that we're content with 7-win seasons and going to the No-Name Bowl, what incentive do they have to strive for more? Win or lose, they get paid just the same.

The saying is "Whether you THINK you can or THINK that you can't, you are right."

I think we can. I am just not shocked and surprised at the times when we fall short.

Last edited:
My personal expectations are we win around 9 games next year with 2013 setting up to be another 2009 kind of year.

Quite a tall order given that Iowa will be breaking in an inexperienced QB that year (Rudock).

Not saying it's impossible, given Banks, Chandler's and Tate's 10-win seasons as first year starting QBs.

I have real problems with this red herring argument about Iowa not being Texas OSU ect.

Its entirely irrelevant.

No one is upset that we are not in the National title game.

We are uppset because of whats happening at IOWA with the resources it does have.

Iowa is underachieving with what it has to work with both on and off the field and paying way to much for it.

Iowa is consistently not performing well against bottom dweller teams and exhibits allot of characteristics of a team that is poorly coached and often unprepared.

Latest posts