Ferentz, O'Keefe and Parker and expectations

Why cant we, neb does, what does neb have that we dont? How about kansas st. now there is a story, bill synder damn good coach from haydens tree he does a damn good job out of nothing in kansas st. come on guys this is iowa football, we put more players in the nfl than anybody except for 2 schools in recent years, tell that to the recruits see what that will get you. time to put up or shut up 13 years we should be stacked with players.
Nebraska has the good luck of hiring the right coach for the job 50 years ago(who happened to be the 2nd choice, who almost didn't take the job), who in turn handed it over to the next right man for the job, who almost left for Colorado, or almost got fired a few times. Our great coach of 50+ years ago decided to be an AD, instead of keeping a good thing going.

Why cant we, neb does, what does neb have that we dont? How about kansas st. now there is a story, bill synder damn good coach from haydens tree he does a damn good job out of nothing in kansas st. come on guys this is iowa football, we put more players in the nfl than anybody except for 2 schools in recent years, tell that to the recruits see what that will get you. time to put up or shut up 13 years we should be stacked with players.

Nebraska has no one to compete with in their state for resources and fan support. If the resources and fan following that ISU gets had been going to Iowa all this time, just think where we might be.

Had Evy not prematurely stopped coaching and had groomed his successor, we may very well have been as big as Nebraska.

We got really lucky when Hayden retired and we hired Kirk. It didn't have to turn out the way that it did.

Is that the kind of thing you tell your kids, if you have any? Oh, you're just Joe Smith, so you will never be anything more than mediocre. That is crap.

Is that the kind of thing you tell your kids, if you have any? Oh, you're just Joe Smith, so you will never be anything more than mediocre. That is crap.

How many times do I have to say that I never said anything like that? I stated who we are NOW. I never said we would never be anything more.

All I ask is for people to look objectively at what level the Iowa football program is at now and base your reactions upon reality, and not upon your hopes and dreams for what you want Iowa to be.

As much as we all want it to be true, including myself, Iowa is not yet on the same level as the Ohio State's of the world. That doesn't mean we don't keep pushing to get there someday.

No matter what Jon really thinks, we will never hear it. He will always have KFs back. Is Jon an Iowa fan or Iowa Football Staff fan?

Please. It's been almost a week now. We'll miss the game in a month or so, but right now isn't everyone glad it's over for a while?

Sad to say, but yes I'm gald it's over. However these next few weeks KF has a chance to get some energy back in a stagnet program with some changes in his staff.

Oh I know. I also know how it works down there, so try to forget it for a while. And I couldn't until yesterday. I was pretty angry, and don't normally get that way about Iowa football.

We aren't going to be doing anything dramatic with the coaches I'm afraid.

Yes. And yet, I keep some employed who shouldn't be, so it's much easier said than done. At least for me.

I think we'll be fine, but given who we are, we should have a minimum of 8 wins every season, and some refuse to get it.

UP you are correct and actually said it right....
probably the best written post about it in last month....not that others have not said the same thing.

Many people have said the same thing....and I see the same people saying it over and over...it is getting old to read....They should write a letter to Gary Barta if they want their opinions to be heard.

Yes. And yet, I keep some employed who shouldn't be, so it's much easier said than done. At least for me.

I think we'll be fine, but given who we are, we should have a minimum of 8 wins every season, and some refuse to get it.

Based on what though? That happened one time in our programs and part of the reason that Fry is a legend is because he did that. And even he couldn't keep that consistency up.

I understand wanting to win 8 games every year and shooting for it but I don't understand the notion that we should be an 8 win program every year.

Actually,now that I think about it, we win our bowl game we are an 8 win team for the 4th year in a row.

I also think the work comparison is bullsxxx too!

You can't tell me that the retail business, bank business, service business, automobile business is not down and revenue and profit projections are being met....and when that happens jobs and expenses are cut.....you can't make the customer buy in a down economy and it touches everyone in some way...probably most people on this board.

It is happening with Iowa Football too, and they are making adjustments too....we are looking to go to the juco route, we are playing more freshmen...probably more than anytime in Kirk's tenure....heck even basketball has 5 walk on players and these adjustments are truly unique for our programs.

These adjustments in business don't make the revenue and profit tick right away, but in time the P&L will look better and the adjustments that are being made will eventually pay off with our football team.....they both have to run their course.

Populations of B1G states:
Illinois 12,910,409
Pennsylvania 12,604,767
Ohio 11,542,645
Michigan 9,969,727
Indiana 6,423,113
Wisconsin 5,654,774
Minnesota 5,266,214
Iowa 3,007,856
Nebraska 1,796,619

So, "who we are" is the 2nd smallest population base in the B1G (we were THE smallest until this year) who has never won an "official" national championship, nor finished with better than an #8 ranking in over 50 years and we are supposed to be guaranteed 8 wins every year why???

If you ask me, its the Illini fans who should be marching in the streets with torches and pitchforks.

Last edited:
Based on what though? That happened one time in our programs and part of the reason that Fry is a legend is because he did that. And even he couldn't keep that consistency up.

I understand wanting to win 8 games every year and shooting for it but I don't understand the notion that we should be an 8 win program every year.

Well, briefly, here goes. The U of I is about the 30th largest public school in terms of enrollment. It plays in the B1G. Every game is on TV. It gets 7 of 12 games at home. 4 of these games are against non-conference opponents. Its facilities are among the best in the nation. The U of I now has distinct recruiting advantages given its' proven track record of placing kids at the next level. The U Of I now has what some refer to as a "football tradition."

I could get in to how the football program gets mostly anything it wants from the athletic department, and cite factual examples, but I'm not going to get into that.

For these reasons, I believe they should almost always win at least 8 games per season (before the bowl bowl).

You may disagree. That's fine. You asked why I came to my conclusion, and I attempted to explain. No different of a thought process for me, than when I put together business projections for 2012, and going forward.

I also think the work comparison is bullsxxx too!

You can't tell me that the retail business, bank business, service business, automobile business is not down and revenue and profit projections are being met....and when that happens jobs and expenses are cut.....you can't make the customer buy in a down economy and it touches everyone in some way...probably most people on this board.

It is happening with Iowa Football too, and they are making adjustments too....we are looking to go to the juco route, we are playing more freshmen...probably more than anytime in Kirk's tenure....heck even basketball has 5 walk on players and these adjustments are truly unique for our programs.

These adjustments in business don't make the revenue and profit tick right away, but in time the P&L will look better and the adjustments that are being made will eventually pay off with our football team.....they both have to run their course.

If you are referring to my statement about keeping employees on, when maybe they should be asked to leave, I am speaking only about myself, and how difficult it is for me to terminate someone, even with cause. I'm not so unlike KF, in that I have some older guys, and to a degree, they have earned staying until they want to leave, based on past performance. At this point in their advanced careers, I'd be more profitable and efficient without them, because their present performance isn't very good.

It's not easy when you are responsible. And it's not easy for KF to just get rid of assistants either.

The U has the resources to hire new and keep the old on however. There is a workable solution. I don't have the resources to do this.

Latest posts