Ferentz is PO'd

Bigtenchamp

If you read the answers to these interviews on the site - I have never seen him so testy before as in some of these. It's not hard to tell that he is feeling like the rest of us - that this season was a blown opportunity. He is giving some more complete, emotional answers then I can remember before. He is showing his teeth at times, and I don't ever remember him doing that. But this staff (as much respect as I have Ferentz and norm) have to look in the mirror for some of the answers to this anger and disappointment that players, fans and coaches are feeling.

I wouldn't say PO'd just annoyed that some fans and the media react the way they have after the games we have lost this season. He understands that people are going to be upset but does bring up a lot of good points when talking about Norm after the Western Mich game or Oregon's great O that just scored 15 points.

He has thick skin but it isn't easy to have as much success as he has had here and be second guessed after every loss. I don't feel sorry for the guy and don't think he would want anybody to because that is part of the job and one that he gets paid a hell of a lot to do but I do understand where he is coming from.

Fans are fickle they love you one week and think you need to be fired the next (or at least changes need to be made), he knows how it works.

I agree.

-Taking snaps from center instead of shotgun in the last drive against Arizona when they are bringing the heat.

-Fake punt against WI

-Not spiking the ball against WI

-Wasting a down by spiking the ball against NU in the 2Q.

-Not playing Coker more, when we have seen that he is capable of trucking people and could wear down the opposing D.

-Throwing a deep ball into the wind against NU (I guess 1/2 could be on Stanzi, but that play call is usually designed to go deep).

All examples of the coaching staff and not talent/player errors. Of course we could point out specific players who have not played up to their abilities or just flat out don't have the ability...but all of the things above are coaching/preparation errors. They may not have given us the win outright, but it gives us a better chance which is what we deserve.

I somewhat compare it to the Outback Bowl game against Florida...the ref's call of being offside on the onside kick completely robbed us of our chance to win. The chance to win is what we deserved.

The INT is on Stanzi. There were receivers underneath who were open, so he had other options. Also, with the way the 3rd quarter went against Indiana last year, I would think that he would look to the intermediate/underneath stuff. He didn't have to go deep, and he chose to do so.

The other examples you listed are on coaching.

If you read the answers to these interviews on the site - I have never seen him so testy before as in some of these. It's not hard to tell that he is feeling like the rest of us - that this season was a blown opportunity. He is giving some more complete, emotional answers then I can remember before. He is showing his teeth at times, and I don't ever remember him doing that. But this staff (as much respect as I have Ferentz and norm) have to look in the mirror for some of the answers to this anger and disappointment that players, fans and coaches are feeling.

I get the feeling that he is more POed that people are questioning him than he is about the season - more of a defensive posture than a disapointed one. And you're right, he need look no further than the mirror and his OC for the recent troubles on this team.

Why even pass the ball at all, against the wind, with 11:00 left in the 4th quarter, with a ten point lead and you're driving...IN THEIR TERRITORY?! You have both A-Rob and Coker. Keep it on the ground...burn the clock...score. Is it really that difficult??

That's what p!sses me off. Either the staff called an absolutely dumb-@ss play, or, RS changed it IMO.

Run-the-damm-ball in that situation.

Last edited:
Why even pass the ball at all, against the wind, with 11:00 left in the 4th quarter, with a ten point lead and you're driving...IN THEIR TERRITORY?! You have both A-Rob and Coker. Keep it on the ground...burn the clock...score. Is it really that difficult??

That's what p!sses me off. Either the staff called an absolutely dumb-@ss play, or, RS changed it IMO.

And the funny part about that is even if they did run the ball you would complain that they are too conservative. They just cant win can they.

And the funny part about that is even if they did run the ball you would complain that they are too conservative. They just cant win can they.

Uhhh...I know you're not talking about me.

I'm talking game-specific offensive decisions.

It's been relatively poor the entire season.

I agree.

-Taking snaps from center instead of shotgun in the last drive against Arizona when they are bringing the heat.

-Fake punt against WI

-Not spiking the ball against WI

-Wasting a down by spiking the ball against NU in the 2Q.

-Not playing Coker more, when we have seen that he is capable of trucking people and could wear down the opposing D.

-Throwing a deep ball into the wind against NU (I guess 1/2 could be on Stanzi, but that play call is usually designed to go deep).

All examples of the coaching staff and not talent/player errors. Of course we could point out specific players who have not played up to their abilities or just flat out don't have the ability...but all of the things above are coaching/preparation errors. They may not have given us the win outright, but it gives us a better chance which is what we deserve.

I somewhat compare it to the Outback Bowl game against Florida...the ref's call of being offside on the onside kick completely robbed us of our chance to win. The chance to win is what we deserved.

I imagine a lot of Ferentz's frustration is from within. Knowing that they messed up on some basic coaching moves, that cost us a chance to win the games. Moves that are analyzed, detailed and prepared for, some before the season even begins, have got to be extremely frustating. Just as they have made calls that allowed us to win games, making KF a happy camper, they have blown calls costing us.

Making mental errors in life that cost us big time, we all have. They all have consequences that we do not like to deal with... That is frustating...

Live, learn, and then move on, hopefully remembering for the next time in life that you face a similar situation... And if you get a delay of game penalty, slap yourself in the face.

This, exactly. Especially considering that THIS IS WHAT THEY USUALLY DO!!

Uhhh...I know you're not talking about me.

I'm talking game-specific offensive decisions.

It's been relatively poor the entire season.

Maybe it wasn't you (seriously, I'm not calling you out, it's a general thing out there), but there were a ton of people complaining after the Wisconsin interception that we got too conservative in a similar situation.

I think the coaches need to make some adjustments, but I'm also tired about the constant complaint of "play-calling". You run 60 plays a game. You're bound to call a few bad ones. It's the same for every team in football.

The INT is on Stanzi. There were receivers underneath who were open, so he had other options. Also, with the way the 3rd quarter went against Indiana last year, I would think that he would look to the intermediate/underneath stuff. He didn't have to go deep, and he chose to do so.

The other examples you listed are on coaching.

My father was at the game in Northwestern. We talk after the game. He couldn't believe he threw it deep. He said that he wasn't sure who it was but thought it was DJK who was wide-open over the middle and if he was thrown the ball he thought he could potentially gone all the way.

I wouldn't say PO'd just annoyed that some fans and the media react the way they have after the games we have lost this season. He understands that people are going to be upset but does bring up a lot of good points when talking about Norm after the Western Mich game or Oregon's great O that just scored 15 points.

He has thick skin but it isn't easy to have as much success as he has had here and be second guessed after every loss. I don't feel sorry for the guy and don't think he would want anybody to because that is part of the job and one that he gets paid a hell of a lot to do but I do understand where he is coming from.

Fans are fickle they love you one week and think you need to be fired the next (or at least changes need to be made), he knows how it works.

Just for the record I've wanted a change at OC since 2001 and I've never been a fan of the bend-and-might-break defense.

So you all might think I'm a tool but I ain't fickle.

Still, I wouldn't trade Ferentz for anyone else.

My father was at the game in Northwestern. We talk after the game. He couldn't believe he threw it deep. He said that he wasn't sure who it was but thought it was DJK who was wide-open over the middle and if he was thrown the ball he thought he could potentially gone all the way.

I'm pretty certain it was McNutt who was wide open.

That was like a junior varsity heave by Stanzi. A massive WTF panic moment.

I can't believe I'm saying this... I agree with you, ThunderHawk. Stanzi was trying to connect with DJK on that long pass - interception against NW... I know DJK has been Stanzi's favorite target all year. I know DJK's the receiver that's most open, can get you a big play more often, is most experienced, and of the regulars, has the most speed, but sometimes he shows a lack of effort that is shocking and detrimental to the team. (To be clear, IMO, there was nothing DJK could have done to prevent the NW interception). Three plays come to mind for me here: the Georgia Tech interception, and the Indiana interception last year, where he didn't fight to receive the pass or breakup the interception, and any long pass where he didn't stretch out for the ball.

To the topic...
For Iowa to permanently climb out of the top 25 doldrums, some clearly identifiable weaknesses like recruiting and pass defense need to be corrected.
Now, I love Ferentz to death. He's been a godsend for Iowa football. He's well respected among other coaches. His programs are usually clean and academically sound but...

so is Paterno's.

I would rather have a team that is consistantly top notch. An offense that is as potent as Oregon's (maybe as potent as Stanford's would be closer to reality) and/or a defense that is as potent as Nebraska's wouldn't be bad.

Last edited:
Just for the record I've wanted a change at OC since 2001 and I've never been a fan of the bend-and-might-break defense.

So you all might think I'm a tool but I ain't fickle.

Still, I wouldn't trade Ferentz for anyone else.

Do you realize if KOK were replaced we would be seeing the exact same offense from the next coordinator? This is Kirk's system and it is not going to change.

Do you realize if KOK were replaced we would be seeing the exact same offense from the next coordinator? This is Kirk's system and it is not going to change.

Agreed, maybe not exactly the same O but KF is in charge and they run the O he wants them to run. That's why I never understood the whole I love KF but want KOK replaced crowd, sure I think KOK makes some bone head calls but KF is the reason he is allowed to make them and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Latest posts