Ferentz is best player developer in NCAA

"A crazy statistic found by sportsnation and blackheartgoldpants is that a two star prospect has one in 34 chance of getting drafted. At Iowa, it is one and six. A three star recruit at Iowa is three times more likely of being drafted than an average program. Iowa four star recruits have a one in four chance of being drafted."

http://isportsweb.com/2014/07/22/iowa-football-kirk-ferentz-player-development/

SIAP

I wonder if these stats are getting provided to the recruits we are after. If not, they should be.

great find.

I've wondered...if now days recruits have a greater awareness of their national ranking among peers than they did 20 years ago. And if they do, do they then demand the "top programs".

And if the recruits like Ronnie Harmon, Larry Station, or Andre Tippet (for example) knew how they stacked up with their peers across the country in HS, would they have still chosen Iowa.

Why is it that so many people on this board and I know a few personaly that just don't understand that. ???

Why is it that so many people on this board and I know a few personaly that just don't understand that. ???

My guess is that they do understand it. What they don't understand is why it hasn't produced more wins with all of these NFL players. Just a hunch.

You know how I feel on this issue. NOPE, I disagree.

Ferentz can develop all the 2-3 star recruits to play in his system because his system is a 2-3 star system.. not a lot of intricacies in his system. Not a lot of risk taking in his system.

QB and WR gets no love. CB get no love (usually, but Phil is doing better, there)

My guess is that they do understand it. What they don't understand is why it hasn't produced more wins with all of these NFL players. Just a hunch.

So you think more kid coming out of HS are more worried about winning in college then the chance to go to the NFL?

Ferentz can develop all the 2-3 star recruits to play in his system because his system is a 2-3 star system.. not a lot of intricacies in his system. Not a lot of risk taking in his system.

QB and WR gets no love. CB get no love (usually, but Phil is doing better, there)

obvious trolling is old. i wish you'd get a permaban.

So you think more kid coming out of HS are more worried about winning in college then the chance to go to the NFL?

The reason for this is difficulty recruiting certain positions. RB , QB, DE and WR come to mind. At times we have had all those pieces plus the usual OL and TE Iowa guys. All too often, we haven't. The current team may be in this position.

Agree. I would rather KF be better at developing more college football wins than more NFL picks.

Agree. I would rather KF be better at developing more college football wins than more NFL picks.

those players have done quite well in the winning category under ferentz. but i've been there done that on this board before. it's the attrition thing that has stung iowa the most - iowa has never been or likely will never be a place like, for example, OSU where you can replace a RB like putting another gallon of milk in the fridge. the whole development thing requires the bulk of a class to stay and, you know, develop.

That couldn't make less sense. Iowa runs a pro style offense where they are pretty much 55/45 running to passing give or take. If your a good player (which Iowa develops better then most) then you'll get noticed. Stanzi got drafted. Kevin Kasper was in the league McNutt is in the pros Keenon Davis got a look and there have been Iowa receivers in the pros. (If DJK didn't have all his problems he would have gotten a look) Your risk taking comment is really vague and I don't see that as a determining factor in if you can play or have the ability skills/size to go to the next level. And as far as CBs go Iowa has put a bunch of them in the pros. Bradley, Spievey, Godfrey, Hyde, Prater, just to name some recent ones off the top of my head that all played corner in college. I know Lowery didn't get drafted but he'll be in a camp with a shot I'm sure. So if by Phil doing better you mean better then most every other program then you'd be right otherwise....

Epic fail. The CB comment just oozes stupidity. Phil has been in charge of the defensive backs for a very long time. He didn't just start doing better in that area. He's been as good as it gets since he got to Iowa. The defensive back development has been tremendous in Iowa City when you consider the kind of talent the Hawks are bringing in.

I'm not usually one to namecall, but you are either an idiot or a troll. It's that simple. Either way, not a single person here takes anything you say seriously because it doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

The reason for this is difficulty recruiting certain positions. RB , QB, DE and WR come to mind. At times we have had all those pieces plus the usual OL and TE Iowa guys. All too often, we haven't. The current team may be in this position.

I agree wholeheartedly with your observation although I wouldn't include DE's in the broad picture as Ferentz has had 7 DE's get picked in the draft. The offensive weaponry of QB, WR, and RB has only contributed 6 picks in the entire Ferentz era. I think it probably explains to a large part why Ferentz runs the offense that he does. We play with the cards we are normally dealt each year and that usually doesn't include high octane weapons with speed........hard to "develop" that.

Fry and staff seemed to come up with a nuggets at RB at about the right time most of the time. His era produced eight RB's selected in the NFL draft (Granger, Gill, R. Harmon, K. Harmon, Stewart, Betts, Shaw, and Banks). I would only give Ferentz credit for one, Shonn Greene. Even though L. Betts would have been during the Ferentz era it was the Fry staff that signed him out of HS I believe.

Latest posts