Ferentz End of Season Transcript

Please tell me more about how you're going to stay the course, Mr. Ihaveahorriblewinningpercentageinclosegamesandagainstbadteams.

Yeah, it's all just a game of chance, kurt, and your results were purely serendipitous. No blame for you or the collection of incompetent morons you call coordinators and assistants.
And while we're at it, let's try to distract the media goobers with several trips down memory lane, wherein you talk about playing iowa state in 1982 and about how ronnie harmon was a rental wideout.
W T F

Living with an 80's style offense/game plan doesnt work in college football anymore either and he's proving that he wont deviate from "the plan". Look at the successful teams like oregon, oklahoma, tOSU, etc that have changed their schematics and adapted to the moderen era of college football.(less Bama, ND as they have best players coming in out of high school and anyone with half a football brain can win there)

there are several keys to leadership - one glaring one i do not see with the current regime is adaptability.

(i am officially off the ferentz bus with keeping Greg D on staff)

Q. How married are you to your philosophy? We've talked about this a lot over the years.
COACH FERENTZ: Specifically, what part of my philosophy?

Typical smart @$$ comment.

Q. Just the balanced offense the bend‑don't‑break defense, special teams?
COACH FERENTZ: What I'm married to is what's going to work, to give us the best chance to win. That's what I'm married to. I know that defensively, if you give up tackles and missed plays, you're not going to be successful. Offensively, same thing. Whether you throw it 80 times a game or 10, you turn it over. You don't block people. Some people can move the ball without blocking them. But I don't think that's going to ever fit here. It would be really tough to pull that off.
The bottom line is we'll do whatever we have to win, and philosophically, not talking about doing stupid stuff. My biggest concern is that we're doing things that are smart and fundamentally people turn on the film and say, hey quite frankly there are time this is year that you can't say that. I'm not going to try to spin that. It's like saying there isn't a, what, $15 trillion deficit there? There is one, and it ain't going away. We've got to knock our deficit down, realize there is one, and work on it. And those are all things that are correctible for the most part.
The other stuff, you can live with coming up short if you're not good enough. If you don't play well enough, there are a lot of things that go into that, that is the hard part.

Oh, really? You'll do whatever it takes to win? Where do I start with that one? I guess he's talking about the ONE flea flicker they ran.

DOnt forget about the pass to CJF 25 yrds down field in the last game of the season..thats certainly pushing the envelope

Please tell me more about how you're going to stay the course, Mr. Ihaveahorriblewinningpercentageinclosegamesandagainstbadteams.

Imagine how bad his winning percentage would be if you eliminated the games where there was a meaningless score at the end of the game to make it qualify as a close game. If it wasn't for those games counting he would have a horrid percentage.

Didn't read any further than this. Q. Will Greg Davis be your offensive coordinator in is 2013?
COACH FERENTZ: As far as I know, yeah.

All big time head coaches have a measure of ego maniac in their personality. It's when you start to question them, their true selves are revealed.

Not at all. The current state is not where I want the football program to be at but I also realize there is nothing I can do to change it. I'm still going to buy my season tickets, may even add a couple, and make my voyages to Kinnick in the fall.

I have a lot more important things in life than the Iowa football program. I would hope everyone else on here does as well.

Agree with you 100% I like winning just as much as the next guy, but if your life revolves around the Iowa football programs record I would take a long look in the mirror. It's a game! Life moves on - GO HAWKS!

After reading this I am more ticked off at Barta. Ferentz speaks like a man who has no pressure on him, and retaining Greg Davis proves that. The contract Barta crafted is worse than the Steve Alford one that Bowlsby hammered out.

The "learning curve" Ferentz said was the result of the offense is a BS excuse. It was an utter failure all season and all you have to do is look at Vandenberg's stats to see it.

I fear for the future of Iowa football.

I am guessing here, just guessing mind you, that Ferentz is not the most favorite coach for you.

I don't begrudge Kirk making the salary he makes, but it seems odd that he seems almost indifferent to his very ordinary record for the past 3 years while collecting his high income. Playing it "cool" and not over-reacting is one thing but I'd like a coach who acted a little ****** off at marginal results.

Some of these responses are hilarious. If you've followed this coach for any length of time, then you know that he doesn't actually say anything at any of his press conferences. He doesn't say anything when things are going well, and he certainly doesn't air any laundry when things aren't going well.

I have no idea if Ferentz can turn things around. I'm not even defending him here. But it is this mans full time job to coach a football team. The idea that every fan on this board knows better than him about everything is ridiculous.

He isn't going to come out and claim that this years team had terrible talent. He isn't going to say that he was embarrassed and disgusted with his dismal offense. He isn't going to call out a poor senior class for being poor. And he's not going to speak publicly about his frustrations with any of his staff, should he be.

The only thing that really speaks is results. This year's were terrible. If they're better next year, great. If not, then there will be more press conferences like this.

The point is, he never reveals anything substantive about how he really feels about things, especially when they aren't going well.

Agree with you 100% I like winning just as much as the next guy, but if your life revolves around the Iowa football programs record I would take a long look in the mirror. It's a game! Life moves on - GO HAWKS!

Do you play to win, Stacker?

Some of these responses are hilarious. If you've followed this coach for any length of time, then you know that he doesn't actually say anything at any of his press conferences. He doesn't say anything when things are going well, and he certainly doesn't air any laundry when things aren't going well.

I have no idea if Ferentz can turn things around. I'm not even defending him here. But it is this mans full time job to coach a football team. The idea that every fan on this board knows better than him about everything is ridiculous.

He isn't going to come out and claim that this years team had terrible talent. He isn't going to say that he was embarrassed and disgusted with his dismal offense. He isn't going to call out a poor senior class for being poor. And he's not going to speak publicly about his frustrations with any of his staff, should he be.

The only thing that really speaks is results. This year's were terrible. If they're better next year, great. If not, then there will be more press conferences like this.

The point is, he never reveals anything substantive about how he really feels about things, especially when they aren't going well.

You appear to be completely in the dark about the concept of a "fan chatboard."

TRUE THIS!

You appear to be completely in the dark about the concept of a "fan chatboard."

No, I'm quite well versed, as I waste plenty of time here just like everybody else. I'm just disagreeing with those such as yourself, who in my opinion are reading a whole lot into nothing but a bunch generic coach speak. There are lots of people here who aren't just angry about the state of things, but also seem to believe that Iowa's coach is perfectly okay with a 4-8 season and sees nothing wrong with it. My point is that this is absurd. He may or may not be able to fix things, I have no idea. But I'm pretty sure he's a lot more unhappy behind closed doors than he is in a press conference.

No, I'm quite well versed, as I waste plenty of time here just like everybody else. I'm just disagreeing with those such as yourself, who in my opinion are reading a whole lot into nothing but a bunch generic coach speak. There are lots of people here who aren't just angry about the state of things, but also seem to believe that Iowa's coach is perfectly okay with a 4-8 season and sees nothing wrong with it. My point is that this is absurd. He may or may not be able to fix things, I have no idea. But I'm pretty sure he's a lot more unhappy behind closed doors than he is in a press conference.

This...

Latest posts