Ferentz End of Season Transcript

I probably should mention that I suffered through the mmiserable years between Evy an Fry, and doubt you did

No one cares. The fact that you watched bad teams doesn't make slightly better teams more fun to watch.

Last edited:
No one cares. The fact that you watched bad teams doesn't make slightly better teams more fun to watch.

I do! History has lessons to be learned. I will take this year, but if we are not heading to Indy next year, I am done. I sat thru all those years when we could hardly muster a B10 win and I am not prepared to do it again. You are either moving forward or getting left behind and if this suck fest does not make a 180, we are getting left behind. Not a 100, or a 150, but a complete 180.
Dont get me wrong what KF does for the hospital and the grad rates and all is wonderful, but enough is enough it is time to win and win big.

I do! History has lessons to be learned. I will take this year, but if we are not heading to Indy next year, I am done. I sat thru all those years when we could hardly muster a B10 win and I am not prepared to do it again. You are either moving forward or getting left behind and if this suck fest does not make a 180, we are getting left behind. Not a 100, or a 150, but a complete 180.
Dont get me wrong what KF does for the hospital and the grad rates and all is wonderful, but enough is enough it is time to win and win big.

The "no one cares" was more directed at the people who state that Iowa sucked in 1964 so we should be happy with sucking in 2012 or something.

Kirk Ferentz is not a democrat...

Big Ten

Kirk Ferentz: The Ferentz household donated $250 to Jim Gibbons (Rep, Congress, Iowa) in 2010, $1,550 to Marianette Miller-Meeks (Rep, Congress, Iowa) in 2010 and $1,200 to Jim Leach (Rep, Congress, Iowa) in 2006.

Its one thing to flap your gums and act like a know it all when your team is rolling people, but to flap your gums and act like a know it all when you got rolled by central mich, indiana, northwestern, and isu is a complete joke. I'm boycotting this program until we have a new coach even if that coach wins zero games.

The "no one cares" was more directed at the people who state that Iowa sucked in 1964 so we should be happy with sucking in 2012 or something.

Exactly! History! In 1964 we were still running on the two RB beat downs we laid out in the late 50's. Now we are saying, but we beat LSU awhile back ago in the OB.

We have to push on, we can not go back. My dad as a young man (when we were rolling the RB) never got to go see the roses and in my lifetime we have made it, only to get our arse kicked all the way back home.
Your right, we have sucked before, but we also have not. I choose not. Like I said if we are not in Indy next year, after sitting thru all those years and my dad telling me how we won the RB in a great fashion, I will not be able to support this staff.
If we do make it, I will move heaven and earth to make sure I get to see it.

KF is starting to sound a lot like another arrogant coach who signed a long extension based on a high point season when the below average was mostly the norm.

You guessed it, Stevie.

Sober up there, olddude. We are not going to Indy next year, and you will not be done.

Another thing, now that you got me all wound up. The reason we won back then is because kids were not playing wii or tweeting and all that, they were out bailing hay, and thats how we grew up. Dam kids these days, I have said it before and I will say it again, I have a crushed spine, two bad knees and a separated shoulder, but I would still pad up against these kids. Pain is what makes it real. When you feel the burn or pain, you know you are a god dam footballer. Everyone dreams about it, the pain makes it real. Or as us old timers call it, putting in the WORK.

It seems that KF kind of says that JVB had a really tough year and makes assertions that is the reason the offense struggled so much.

if that is the case, why not put another QB in and see what they can do? The excuses about QB play have already begun for next year.

The quote about not knowing what they have in a QB next year until they get in a game made me **** myself. KF is so out of touch that I actually feel sorry for him.

COACH FERENTZ: First of all, welcome everybody. I apologize ahead of time. I was asking Steve what's out there, and it sounds like there are a lot of good rumors going around. This won't be as interesting and dramatic as maybe people want it to be. But, nonetheless, just thought it was a good way to wrap the year up and field some questions and we'll get together in February.
First of all, I want to congratulate the award winners on the team. The Big Ten Team came out on Monday or Tuesday, whenever that was, I think Monday. And certainly of note, Micah Hyde not only being first team, but winning the Tatum‑Woodson Defensive Back of the Year Award, and following up on Marvin's award last year, that's really a prestigious thing and a nice highlight to a very good career. A guy that played four years and did a great job in a lot of phases and was a really valuable team member, so that's nice recognition.
He being a first team guy, James Ferentz being second team, and C.J., Anthony Hitchens, Mike Meyer, Matt Tobin, Joe Gaglione, and James Morris all getting honorable mention, and James Vandenberg, the Sportsmanship Award. Certainly nice honors for all of those guys.
Now just looking back really quickly, and I'll field questions. Unlike trying to put a spin on a $15 Trillion deficit, I'm not going to go down that road. Bottom line, this was a disappointing season in terms of record, and the fact that we're not playing in a bowl game. There really isn't a way to put a positive spin on that. It is kind of what it is.
So things happen in college football, they happen in the NFL, and they happen in high school football. Certainly we're not pleased about being home, but that's the way it shook out. I think if you look at the big picture a little bit over 12 years, I think we're second in the conference in terms of being 50‑plus or better seasons overall, be it overall records of Big Ten records. We have gone to ten bowls and been nationally ranked five times in the Top 10, and all of that. So those are positives, certainly.
That being said, .500 is certainly not our goal, and that's not what we're shooting for in any season. If you break it down with all the eight losses, it's really where our focus is right now. In two games, we were never really competitive. That's disappointing. We had six games that we lost by an average of four and a half points, and there were things that go on and are involved in that and lead to that. But we're not in the excuse business. We'll try to move forward and see if we can't do things a little bit better.
If there's any solace in this, you go back to '06, I referenced that on Friday or Saturday, excuse me, we're 2‑6 in the Big Ten that year. We lost six conference games in a row, and that was not much fun. We did have a chance to play in a bowl and at least start moving forward a little bit. In '07 we didn't go to a bowl, and followed up with two of our best seasons, the most enjoyable seasons ever in '08 and '09.
I don't want to look at this as an impossible task by any stretch. Right now, our focus is on improving and finding solutions to what might have taken place. If there is a blessing in all of this, we get a little more time than we would in a normal situation. So it's an opportunity for us to work a little more thoroughly and hopefully do a better job of moving forward, and that's what we're focused on right now. We've got a lot of work, that's begun and we'll continue as we move on.

Q. Will Greg Davis be your offensive coordinator in is 2013?
COACH FERENTZ: As far as I know, yeah.

Q. What has he done over the last few months that demonstrates him remaining on your staff next year?
COACH FERENTZ: Wow, the firing line, huh? I think Greg's an excellent football coach. He's a tremendous professional and a tremendous person. So I've got every bit of confidence that Greg will be in. Not only getting into tenures or job security and all that stuff. That's not what we're here for. But Greg's a tremendous football coach. We wouldn't have brought him here ten months ago or however many if we didn't feel that way. I feel stronger about the kind of coaching person he is now after working with him.

god damn im impressed by his trolling skills

Last edited:
I don't think Kirk is saying anything that unsual in this - it's just that I don't have any faith that his hyper-conservative, boring football can win anymore. It was always those things, but he could win somehow.

It's just a deflated coach and program. It really appears that way.

I've Kirk could make me eat crow I'd be happy.

Latest posts