Ferentz 3.0 What can we expect??

CJSHawk

I agree that we are beginning the 3rd, and I believe, final phase of the Ferentz era. With the players we have returning, and our advantageous schedule next year, there are reasons for optimism. So what should we expect from Iowa football for the next few years.......what we've always gotten!

1. A football team led by a class-act head coach who is widely respected around the nation.

2. An average, at best, offense with very little big play ability(wide receivers).

3. A good/very good defense.

4. A conservative offensive approach with an emphasis of playing "not to lose".

5. A good/very offensive line with many future pros.

6. A football team with a razor thin margin of error because of a need to recruit "diamond in the rough" players because of recruiting obstacles/disadvantages.

7. Losing a game in September we probably shouldn't.

8. Winning a game in November we probably shouldn't.

9. Late game clock management blunders.

10. Struggles against duel-threat mobile quarterbacks

11. Bowl games

12. Ferentz vs. Davis tug-of-war over what Iowa's offense is supposed to be.

Even though being an Iowa fan can be frustrating at times, I can live with this. You?

I guess if the choice is between - average or poor... I will choose average. Sameness of result is where our nation is headed anyway

Better off than a complacent Clown fan that will retain their coach 'cause he is able to pull out an "upset" each year in his <6 win seasons, and be a pwoud coach.

...and with our schedule we could, A) be playing in Indy the final weekend, & 2) be playing in the Rose Bowl in Jan.

The potential is there...and therefore the hope.

If Ferentz 3.0 is a mimic of either of these (31 wins from 02 - 04 and 28 wins from 08 - 10), I am all-in!

Question will be is this year more 2001 or 2008?

1.0- Three straight top ten finishes and two B1G titles.

2.0- Three consecutive bowl wins including a BCS bowl.

If Ferentz 3.0 is a mimic of either of these (31 wins from 02 - 04 and 28 wins from 08 - 10), I am all-in!

Question will be is this year more 2001 or 2008?

Probably 2001 because I don't think our current roster is as stacked with future pros like the 2008 roster was.

I've abandond the idea, after 14 years, that Iowa is going to be a wide open flashy offense. What I've come to expect is efficent offense that gets hidden yards through special teams all built of sound defense. I'd love to see a bit more wide open (Like MSU) but that will come with talent I think.

I agree that we are beginning the 3rd, and I believe, final phase of the Ferentz era. With the players we have returning, and our advantageous schedule next year, there are reasons for optimism. So what should we expect from Iowa football for the next few years.......what we've always gotten!

1. A football team led by a class-act head coach who is widely respected around the nation.

2. An average, at best, offense with very little big play ability(wide receivers).

6. A football team with a razor thin margin of error because of a need to recruit "diamond in the rough" players because of recruiting obstacles/disadvantages.

11. Bowl games

Even though being an Iowa fan can be frustrating at times, I can live with this. You?

If we figure out how to get the ball to Powell in space, see continued development out of Tevaun Smith, and get the ball to Jake Duezy I think our big play ability will be fine. Also Canzeri has shown big play ability out of the backfield.

My whole problem with the Ferentz X.0 BS is aren't new releases supposed to fix the previous bugs?

Same bugs are there as "Ferentz 1.0"

Fundamental misunderstanding of clock management.
Questionable playcalling (endzone play action bootlegs).
Questionable playcalling to match player skill set (think Weisman outside zone).
Clock management again, just because it is so bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're turning it around, but I'd love to see some of the basic mistakes they make year-after-year finally eliminated

If we figure out how to get the ball to Powell in space, see continued development out of Tevaun Smith, and get the ball to Jake Duezy I think our big play ability will be fine. Also Canzeri has shown big play ability out of the backfield.

The development of Powell, Smith, and Duzey into playmakers would be huge for next year's offense because I think KMM has plateaued into a solid B1G possession receiver who will get what's there and that's it.

Canzeri definately adds a dimension to our running game that Weisman and Bullock lack. It's frustrating that it took until November for our coaching staff to realize it.

Speaking of Bullock, it's time we turn him into a 3rd down back or slot receiver. He can be a weapon there, but not as an every down RB.

My whole problem with the Ferentz X.0 BS is aren't new releases supposed to fix the previous bugs?

Questionable playcalling to match player skill set (think Weisman outside zone).

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're turning it around, but I'd love to see some of the basic mistakes they make year-after-year finally eliminated

I'm sure if someone charted all the outside zone running plays called for Weisman this year they'd find most lost yards. Why can't our coaches realize this? I share your frustration, but have come to realize, 15 years into the Ferentz era, we'll see many more outside zone running plays to Weisman next year too. If Ferentz is the coach we have to learn to live with it.

11. Bowl games

I like the tread idea, thanks for posting!!

Ferentz 3.0:

1) More aggressive D as we have seen this year. More blitzes to force teams into punting. With everyone running the dink and dunk offenses, KF knows that the D has to get the offense off the field, so he is OK with more blitzing
2) More emphasis on recruiting. With the younger staff I think we are going to see more aggressive and better recruiting. Player development has always been great, but when you get an Adrian Clayborn talent, the development produces even more high end players.
3) Clock Management has been better this year in my opinion, but nothing great. Sure you have some head scratchers, but anyone who watched college football knows you see this everywhere, it isn't as easy as fans assume. It helps running a "no huddle" as players are used to running plays quicker when needed.
4) Pretty much more of the same for most everything else. The offense has been Ferentzed (cut of GD's portion of it, and now it is pretty much what it was under KOK). Just a different guy calling the plays.

Biggest disappointment for me is the Ferentzed offense. I like that we use Pro sets at Iowa, and think we should continue, especially with the O line players we can recruit here (usually our most talented group). Yet we need to update it, and have more multiple sets, and be more aggressive. I really wish that GD would step down, and have Brian Ferentz step in. I only say this because being his son, I think Brian would stand up to Kirk and run what he wanted to. I mean at a certain point GD really has to do what his boss says. I think Brian would be trying to make his mark, auditioning for future HC jobs, and would say, thanks for the input Kirk, but you hired me to do a job, now let me do it. I think this is the only way the offense changes at Iowa under KF.

I like the tread idea, thanks for posting!!

Ferentz 3.0:

1) More aggressive D as we have seen this year. More blitzes to force teams into punting. With everyone running the dink and dunk offenses, KF knows that the D has to get the offense off the field, so he is OK with more blitzing
2) More emphasis on recruiting. With the younger staff I think we are going to see more aggressive and better recruiting. Player development has always been great, but when you get an Adrian Clayborn talent, the development produces even more high end players.
3) Clock Management has been better this year in my opinion, but nothing great. Sure you have some head scratchers, but anyone who watched college football knows you see this everywhere, it isn't as easy as fans assume. It helps running a "no huddle" as players are used to running plays quicker when needed.
4) Pretty much more of the same for most everything else. The offense has been Ferentzed (cut of GD's portion of it, and now it is pretty much what it was under KOK). Just a different guy calling the plays.

Biggest disappointment for me is the Ferentzed offense. I like that we use Pro sets at Iowa, and think we should continue, especially with the O line players we can recruit here (usually our most talented group). Yet we need to update it, and have more multiple sets, and be more aggressive. I really wish that GD would step down, and have Brian Ferentz step in. I only say this because being his son, I think Brian would stand up to Kirk and run what he wanted to. I mean at a certain point GD really has to do what his boss says. I think Brian would be trying to make his mark, auditioning for future HC jobs, and would say, thanks for the input Kirk, but you hired me to do a job, now let me do it. I think this is the only way the offense changes at Iowa under KF.

Ferentz 3.0 is going to need Brian Ferentz, Levar Woods, Chris White, and Bobby Kennedy to become dynamic recruiters. The 2008 and 2009 recruiting class disasters played a big role in Campbell, Erb, Wilson, and Kaczenski being relieved of their duties!!!

I'm sure if someone charted all the outside zone running plays called for Weisman this year they'd find most lost yards. Why can't our coaches realize this? I share your frustration, but have come to realize, 15 years into the Ferentz era, we'll see many more outside zone running plays to Weisman next year too. If Ferentz is the coach we have to learn to live with it.

I have posted this a few times in other threads, I will repeat one last time and then quit beating the drum. Weisman has 937 yards rushing this year. He had 815 last year. Of those 1752 yards, probably 90+% have come on outside zone. Like most zone running teams (i.e. just about every NFL team and most college team's that run a pro-offense), Iowa's primary running play is outside zone. It is not meant to be a sweep, it is meant to break off-tackle with an alley heading towards the sideline. When it works (think Weisman's 11 yd near-TD against Neb, or his 22 yd run on the icing drive against Mich), that is exactly what happens. When the D can maintain their gaps, it gets strung out and goes for little or no gain. Many fans think the play that gets strung to the sideline is an outside zone, and the 10 yard gain off-tackle is something different. They are the same play. You can tell by watching the initial line steps and the manner in which they work off their double-teams.

Inside zone is intended to take advantage of a defense over-pursuing to outside zone. Initial line steps are similar but usually not as wide, and the O-line will try to drive more up-field as opposed to sealing their man to the inside. The crease usually opens to the backside, whereas the outside zone crease is an alley towards the sideline on the play-side.

Iowa will occasionally run some iso or power, but their outside zone is their bread-and-better and accounts for most of their yards. Not to go all, "Know the game!" on you, but fans that criticize the Weisman outside zone for never working are just plain wrong and are demonstrating a lack of understanding of the game.

I think we can expect more of the same.... Close games every weekend.

We had three games, NW, MI, and NE come down to forcing a fumble on the last or close to last drive of the game. This year we got those big plays, 2010 for example we did not get those plays.

Offense will be the same unless we can get our playmakers on the field and exploit them.

Canzeri, Duzey, Smith, and Powell are all big play guys. But too many times our offense tries to be balanced or do things with weird personnel (WR quick screen with Vandy, stretch play with MW).

Powell is the biggest headscratcher. You don't recruit JUCO for them to take a year to Learn the game, they are supposed to come in and help. While he had a few big plays early, we never heard from him again after MN game. Maybe he's just not very good, but that's a miss on the recruiting front and not surprising with KF history of WR In recruiting.

Next year we need our defense to not miss a beat, tough with losing our LB. I feel good on that side tho. It's the offense getting out of the gutter that always seems to be an issue

I have posted this a few times in other threads, I will repeat one last time and then quit beating the drum. Weisman has 937 yards rushing this year. He had 815 last year. Of those 1752 yards, probably 90+% have come on outside zone. Like most zone running teams (i.e. just about every NFL team and most college team's that run a pro-offense), Iowa's primary running play is outside zone. It is not meant to be a sweep, it is meant to break off-tackle with an alley heading towards the sideline. When it works (think Weisman's 11 yd near-TD against Neb, or his 22 yd run on the icing drive against Mich), that is exactly what happens. When the D can maintain their gaps, it gets strung out and goes for little or no gain. Many fans think the play that gets strung to the sideline is an outside zone, and the 10 yard gain off-tackle is something different. They are the same play. You can tell by watching the initial line steps and the manner in which they work off their double-teams.

Inside zone is intended to take advantage of a defense over-pursuing to outside zone. Initial line steps are similar but usually not as wide, and the O-line will try to drive more up-field as opposed to sealing their man to the inside. The crease usually opens to the backside, whereas the outside zone crease is an alley towards the sideline on the play-side.

Iowa will occasionally run some iso or power, but their outside zone is their bread-and-better and accounts for most of their yards. Not to go all, "Know the game!" on you, but fans that criticize the Weisman outside zone for never working are just plain wrong and are demonstrating a lack of understanding of the game.

David_Buckingham_FORGET_IT_JAKE_ITS_CHINATOWN_4545_395.jpg

You don't understand software release cycles. Any X.0 release includes "improvements and upgrades" and introduces an entirely new set of bugs in the process.

Latest posts