Ferentz 3.0 What can we expect??

I like the tread idea, thanks for posting!!

Ferentz 3.0:

1) More aggressive D as we have seen this year. More blitzes to force teams into punting. With everyone running the dink and dunk offenses, KF knows that the D has to get the offense off the field, so he is OK with more blitzing
2) More emphasis on recruiting. With the younger staff I think we are going to see more aggressive and better recruiting. Player development has always been great, but when you get an Adrian Clayborn talent, the development produces even more high end players.
3) Clock Management has been better this year in my opinion, but nothing great. Sure you have some head scratchers, but anyone who watched college football knows you see this everywhere, it isn't as easy as fans assume. It helps running a "no huddle" as players are used to running plays quicker when needed.
4) Pretty much more of the same for most everything else. The offense has been Ferentzed (cut of GD's portion of it, and now it is pretty much what it was under KOK). Just a different guy calling the plays.

Biggest disappointment for me is the Ferentzed offense. I like that we use Pro sets at Iowa, and think we should continue, especially with the O line players we can recruit here (usually our most talented group). Yet we need to update it, and have more multiple sets, and be more aggressive. I really wish that GD would step down, and have Brian Ferentz step in. I only say this because being his son, I think Brian would stand up to Kirk and run what he wanted to. I mean at a certain point GD really has to do what his boss says. I think Brian would be trying to make his mark, auditioning for future HC jobs, and would say, thanks for the input Kirk, but you hired me to do a job, now let me do it. I think this is the only way the offense changes at Iowa under KF.

Dude...great post. I was thinking about starting a thread with the time for GD to move on and let Brian Ferentz take the reigns of the offense. I just think he would have a better feel for the play selection than GD.

Nice post...right on in my book.

I've abandond the idea, after 14 years, that Iowa is going to be a wide open flashy offense. What I've come to expect is efficent offense that gets hidden yards through special teams all built of sound defense. I'd love to see a bit more wide open (Like MSU) but that will come with talent I think.

huh?

The development of Powell, Smith, and Duzey into playmakers would be huge for next year's offense because I think KMM has plateaued into a solid B1G possession receiver who will get what's there and that's it.

Canzeri definately adds a dimension to our running game that Weisman and Bullock lack. It's frustrating that it took until November for our coaching staff to realize it.

Speaking of Bullock, it's time we turn him into a 3rd down back or slot receiver. He can be a weapon there, but not as an every down RB.

I agree with your assessment of KMM. He's like Hinkel in a lot of ways, IMO, always getting open on the short/intermediate routes because of very sharp route running (he might be the best route runner we've had since Hinkel, and would only be second to DJK). Now he just needs his Clinton Solomon to open things up. I think Smith can be that guy.

If Scherff stays, this offense could be 40-60th in the nation..which would be pretty good with the style we play. If the defense can be anywhere near what it's been this year, with that schedule, there's no reason we can't win at least ten games. I'd be disappointed with less than 9.

I envision:

--A couple B1G championship game appearances

--BCS bowls

--A Rose Bowl WIN

--A high-profile recruit "flip" or two not panning out or quitting at their "chosen" school

I have posted this a few times in other threads, I will repeat one last time and then quit beating the drum. Weisman has 937 yards rushing this year. He had 815 last year. Of those 1752 yards, probably 90+% have come on outside zone. Like most zone running teams (i.e. just about every NFL team and most college team's that run a pro-offense), Iowa's primary running play is outside zone. It is not meant to be a sweep, it is meant to break off-tackle with an alley heading towards the sideline. When it works (think Weisman's 11 yd near-TD against Neb, or his 22 yd run on the icing drive against Mich), that is exactly what happens. When the D can maintain their gaps, it gets strung out and goes for little or no gain. Many fans think the play that gets strung to the sideline is an outside zone, and the 10 yard gain off-tackle is something different. They are the same play. You can tell by watching the initial line steps and the manner in which they work off their double-teams.

Inside zone is intended to take advantage of a defense over-pursuing to outside zone. Initial line steps are similar but usually not as wide, and the O-line will try to drive more up-field as opposed to sealing their man to the inside. The crease usually opens to the backside, whereas the outside zone crease is an alley towards the sideline on the play-side.

Iowa will occasionally run some iso or power, but their outside zone is their bread-and-better and accounts for most of their yards. Not to go all, "Know the game!" on you, but fans that criticize the Weisman outside zone for never working are just plain wrong and are demonstrating a lack of understanding of the game.

So what you are really saying is fans are confused on inside zone run plays and outside zone plays. Until Canzeri recently they really have not had a back that was able to take advantage of those cut back lanes since Wegher/Robinson.

Dude...great post. I was thinking about starting a thread with the time for GD to move on and let Brian Ferentz take the reigns of the offense. I just think he would have a better feel for the play selection than GD.

Nice post...right on in my book.

I thought that was the plan whole time........still might be for all we know.

1.0- Three straight top ten finishes and two B1G titles.

2.0- Three consecutive bowl wins including a BCS bowl.

Love your post CJS but you are confused

1.0 = Bringing the Iowa FB pgm back from the dead in 3 yrs.

2.0 = 3 yrs of 7 and fewer wins followed by 3 yrs of 8 or more wins.

3.0 = The only thing known about 3.0 right now is that it is not 2.0 any longer. Strap in tight, this could go in any direction. All bets are off now!!!

It's all gone to hell! The three-year cycle (as discovered by CAAR) has been broken. I can't predict anything now that my sense of reality has collapsed.

If we figure out how to get the ball to Powell in space, see continued development out of Tevaun Smith, and get the ball to Jake Duezy I think our big play ability will be fine. Also Canzeri has shown big play ability out of the backfield.

Throw in some Daniels that I hope is the next Shonn Green, and our offense could raise some eyebrows. We're never going to be a Baylpr but I definitely wouldn't mind putting up a few more points.

If we figure out how to get the ball to Powell in space, see continued development out of Tevaun Smith, and get the ball to Jake Duezy I think our big play ability will be fine. Also Canzeri has shown big play ability out of the backfield.

You mean like we did with Paul Chaney Jr.?

I have posted this a few times in other threads, I will repeat one last time and then quit beating the drum. Weisman has 937 yards rushing this year. He had 815 last year. Of those 1752 yards, probably 90+% have come on outside zone. Like most zone running teams (i.e. just about every NFL team and most college team's that run a pro-offense), Iowa's primary running play is outside zone. It is not meant to be a sweep, it is meant to break off-tackle with an alley heading towards the sideline. When it works (think Weisman's 11 yd near-TD against Neb, or his 22 yd run on the icing drive against Mich), that is exactly what happens. When the D can maintain their gaps, it gets strung out and goes for little or no gain. Many fans think the play that gets strung to the sideline is an outside zone, and the 10 yard gain off-tackle is something different. They are the same play. You can tell by watching the initial line steps and the manner in which they work off their double-teams.

Inside zone is intended to take advantage of a defense over-pursuing to outside zone. Initial line steps are similar but usually not as wide, and the O-line will try to drive more up-field as opposed to sealing their man to the inside. The crease usually opens to the backside, whereas the outside zone crease is an alley towards the sideline on the play-side.

Iowa will occasionally run some iso or power, but their outside zone is their bread-and-better and accounts for most of their yards. Not to go all, "Know the game!" on you, but fans that criticize the Weisman outside zone for never working are just plain wrong and are demonstrating a lack of understanding of the game.

Thank you for posting this. I've seen people complain about the outside zone multiple times in the past couple weeks, and it's very frustrating. It simply screams that they don't really know what they are talking about. They think it's as black and white as "Weisman is slow send him up the middle. Canzeri is fast send him to the outside". In reality Weisman has been incredibly successful running the outside zone play (there are a lot of examples that can be referenced). If there's a hole it allows him to get his legs moving and he can usually break at least one tackle before being brought down for a nice gain. The reason people get frustrated is they only recognize the times it is stalled by the defense. They don't recognize when it's successful.

It seems to be the same crowd who are just looking for something to complain about so they think this fits into that category.

Kinda like:

Hawkeyes lose = It's Ferentz's fault
Hawkeyes win = Great job by the coordinators and players (no compliments to KF)

Anyone can pick and choose their side of an argument. It's funny when they do so and don't realize they're making it clear they really don't understand the game of football.

Thank you for posting this. I've seen people complain about the outside zone multiple times in the past couple weeks, and it's very frustrating. It simply screams that they don't really know what they are talking about. They think it's as black and white as "Weisman is slow send him up the middle. Canzeri is fast send him to the outside". In reality Weisman has been incredibly successful running the outside zone play (there are a lot of examples that can be referenced). If there's a hole it allows him to get his legs moving and he can usually break at least one tackle before being brought down for a nice gain. The reason people get frustrated is they only recognize the times it is stalled by the defense. They don't recognize when it's successful.

It seems to be the same crowd who are just looking for something to complain about so they think this fits into that category.

Kinda like:

Anyone can pick and choose their side of an argument. It's funny when they do so and don't realize they're making it clear they really don't understand the game of football.

As trj mentioned earlier, Canzieri is actually a great candidate for inside zone because that is the play most likely to result in a cut-back against the grain and a big gain. IZ is supposed to look like OZ initially and get defenders flying to the outside, and the OL tries to create a cut-back crease. Canzieri can also outrun some tacklers to the edge on OZ and break a big one, so I totally understand fans that would like to see him get a bigger share of carries. But as you stated, it is not as simple as run Canzieri outside and Weisman inside. And come on, who doesn't love seeing Weisman truck some people once he gets a head of steam going.

Some have mentioned in other threads that Ferentz's "vaunted running game" is over-rated, and if you look at the stats, Iowa has not been a dominant running team most years. However, this running game is not meant to stand on its own (it does not have enough variety to stand on its own). It is meant to be a complement to an effective passing game: think Edge James running the OZ in Indy, or Terrell Davis in Denver. Or to use examples that don't involve Hall of Fame QBs, think about the many effective backs that played with Elway's successors, or Jamal Anderson during Atlanta's Super Bowl run. The real short-coming has been the lack of a complementary passing game to keep D's honest. I don't know if that will ever change, but it is somewhat encouraging that the Hawks were pretty good in converting 3rd downs this year.

If we can stay healthy and if recruiting can maintain some momentum like it has the last couple of years, the next 5 years are setting up very nicely for the Hawks. In the 5 years between 2014 and 2018, we play Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State only 1 time each with 2 out of those three at home (only MSU is on the road). On the flipside, we play Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana a total of 7 times. We also catch a break in 2014 with the new divisional alignment in that we get Wisconsin as a home game again next year. So that means in 2014, 2016 and 2018 we play both Nebraska and Wisconsin at home. Finally, we obviously caught a break by being in the much easier division.

My expectations, given the non-conference schedule that's already in place plus the division and non-division games that are already set, I honestly think we can rack up at least 45 wins in the next 5 years, not counting bowl games. I think in the even years, it's not out of the realm to see 10+ wins (due to Nebraska and Wisconsin being at home). Although, if you look at 2017, the November schedules goes like this: OSU at home, at Wisconsin, Purdue at home and at Nebraska. Good thing that's in November and not September.

...It seems to be the same crowd who are just looking for something to complain about so they think this fits into that category.

Kinda like:

I had to abbreviate some of your post, so I can't prove everything about your post, and CP87's posts are wrong, but: (1) sometimes the blocking of the outside zone sweep breaks down, and someone OTHER than Weiseman has a better chance of outrunning the defense. Canzeri's 40 yard run against Nebby comes to mind.. (2) we are not Ferentz haters. We love Iowa football, want excellence, and we (I) believe some other coach than Ferentz can bring excellence to Iowa football. Might not even take 3-4 years (or ever) as some lament. See the example of Wisconsin and coach Gary Andersen... 1 year.

Last edited:
I had to abbreviate some of your post, so I can't prove everything about your post, and CP87's posts are wrong, but: (1) sometimes the blocking of the outside zone sweep breaks down, and someone OTHER than Weiseman has a better chance of outrunning the defense. Canzeri's 40 yard run against Nebby comes to mind.. (2) we are not Ferentz haters. We love Iowa football, want excellence, and we (I) believe some other coach than Ferentz can bring excellence to Iowa football. Might not even take 3-4 years (or ever) as some lament. See the example of Wisconsin and coach Gary Andersen... 1 year.

Andersen inherited White, Gordon, Stave, Borland and a team that had been to 3 straight Rose Bowls. Ferentz inherited Randy Reiners, 250lb offensive linemen, a linebacker that threatened to give the play book to the rest of the B1G and a team that was coming off a 3-8 season.

If we can stay healthy and if recruiting can maintain some momentum like it has the last couple of years, the next 5 years are setting up very nicely for the Hawks. In the 5 years between 2014 and 2018, we play Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State only 1 time each with 2 out of those three at home (only MSU is on the road). On the flipside, we play Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana a total of 7 times. We also catch a break in 2014 with the new divisional alignment in that we get Wisconsin as a home game again next year. So that means in 2014, 2016 and 2018 we play both Nebraska and Wisconsin at home. Finally, we obviously caught a break by being in the much easier division.

My expectations, given the non-conference schedule that's already in place plus the division and non-division games that are already set, I honestly think we can rack up at least 45 wins in the next 5 years, not counting bowl games. I think in the even years, it's not out of the realm to see 10+ wins (due to Nebraska and Wisconsin being at home). Although, if you look at 2017, the November schedules goes like this: OSU at home, at Wisconsin, Purdue at home and at Nebraska. Good thing that's in November and not September.

This is my take also. This season is the beginning of a very good run for Iowa football. All the advantages of being in the nation's richest conference without having to play the superpowers much over the next 5 years.
This is the advantage of a 14 team league, which the SEC has milked very well.....the top teams seem to rarely play everyone (like Iowa did this year), and compile great records which leads to high rankings which perpetuate more high rankings. Iowa should spend much of the next 5 years in the top 25 and have a good shot at making the Big Ten title game 1 or 2 times, minimum.

you have said before that you hate ferentz. i even asked if you actually hated him, which you replied you did. changing your tune a bit?

Biggest disappointment for me is the Ferentzed offense. I like that we use Pro sets at Iowa, and think we should continue, especially with the O line players we can recruit here (usually our most talented group). Yet we need to update it, and have more multiple sets, and be more aggressive. I really wish that GD would step down, and have Brian Ferentz step in. I only say this because being his son, I think Brian would stand up to Kirk and run what he wanted to. I mean at a certain point GD really has to do what his boss says. I think Brian would be trying to make his mark, auditioning for future HC jobs, and would say, thanks for the input Kirk, but you hired me to do a job, now let me do it. I think this is the only way the offense changes at Iowa under KF.

Interesting. KF used to be a toady to KOK, and now GD is a toady to KF. How do you guys know that?

Last edited:

Latest posts