Ferentz 10/23 Presser Live Blog (FINISHED)

I love the Banks v McCann 2001 stuff. Because I'm sure that you all have talked with more than a dozen players from that team who back up your assertion that Banks was the better quarterback that year or was remotely ready to take all the snaps.

I have, and they are all unanimous; he wasn't. But that doesn't fit into your box of hate, so you'll punt it.

Jon, you said yourself Banks wasn't ready in 2001 because he only knew 10 plays and then in another post said Iowa only ran between 12-15 plays in '02. That's a laughable take, you're doing the same thing you accuse of others of. You're finding a reason, Banks wasn't ready, to fit your narrative that KF made the right choice when it was obvious that Banks was the better QB in '01.

Jon once caught a pass from Brad Banks. Go ahead, ask him if you don't believe me.

Kurt Ferentz is just trolling the entire fanbase at this point.

omfg I would kill for a troll face on kirt's body (with headphones on) meme or photoshop
I would use it constantly and be laffy forever

The 12 people commenting about Banks not being ready back in 2001 maybe were right but when he stepped on the field he was the better QB. That is a FACT!!! Isn't that the point play the best at there position? Not at Iowa they need to be developed more.. :)

Jon, you said yourself Banks wasn't ready in 2001 because he only knew 10 plays and then in another post said Iowa only ran between 12-15 plays in '02. That's a laughable take, you're doing the same thing you accuse of others of. You're finding a reason, Banks wasn't ready, to fit your narrative that KF made the right choice when it was obvious that Banks was the better QB in '01.

Those 2 to 5 extra plays were really hard ones to learn I bet, and that is why he couldn't run them in 2001.

The 12 people commenting about Banks not being ready back in 2001 maybe were right but when he stepped on the field he was the better QB. That is a FACT!!! Isn't that the point play the best at there position? Not at Iowa they need to be developed more.. :)

I agree with this. I don't know how anyone who watched the 2001 season can say Banks wasn't ready. The offense ran soo much smoother with him in there. Of course former players would say that tho. What are they supposed to say? Kirk was an idiot?

I want to know what aspects of Rudocks game are worse them JVB.
Last year JVB cracked under pressure but when he had time he threw accurate balls. This year he still cracks under pressure but he also had been very inaccurate. There is very little chance Rudock can be worse at handling pressure or throw less accurate then JVB is right now, so it's probably not those two aspects that are the reason Rudock isn't ready to step in.
It could be that he is not as good at reading defense. If you read Hawkeye gamefilm's breakdown of him it would be hard to believe Rudock could be worse at that. He constantly misses blitz reads and audibles to run when Davis has one on one coverage.
Confidence is really important at the QB position but that's probably not it either cause JVB has none of it. Confidence is something you gain and lose through playing but rarely would a player start with 0 confidence which is where JVB is at right now.
No point in even bringing up pocket presence.
His footwork has also been ripped on a lot for being terrible so not that.
I would seriously like to know what it is that makes Rudock so unready to relieve a guy who is struggling as bad as JVB is right now.

Last year at this time, when Iowa moved AJ Derby to TE, heck yes the underlying sentiment was that the staff felt Rudock would be better than he was. But that doesn't make him ready to play in the Big Ten right now. It mean't he was better than AJ Derby. And judging by Derby's stats at Juco ball, tough to argue.

As for your second comment, whatever. I've been around long enough to know two things

1) If I don't agree with an individual, I'm an idiot because I didn't validate your emotions
2) I don't care if I do or don't.

This somehow reminds me of a Carlinism: you ever notice how anyone driving faster than you is a maniac and anyone driving slower than you is an idiot?

I think Kirk said without saying it that the gap between Vandy and Jake is significant.

Obviously that gap is what they see in practice. VANDY DOES NOT LOOK AT GOOD IN GAMES. Why assume that Jake would look worse or the same in games. Heck he might be better!!

Obviously that gap is what they see in practice. VANDY DOES NOT LOOK AT GOOD IN GAMES. Why assume that Jake would look worse or the same in games. Heck he might be better!!

JVB does not have to worry about getting hit in practice so he probably looks more comfortable and in command. Now if we could just get the other team to agree not to blitz or hit him on Saturdays then everything would be great.

The problem with JVB is he completely falls apart when there is any chance he will get hit. He does not appear to have the ability to stand in the pocket, hold the ball, and deliver an accurate pass knowing he is going to take a hit. This is an ability that some QBs have (all great QBs have this ability) and some don't.

JVB does not have to worry about getting hit in practice so he probably looks more comfortable and in command. Now if we could just get the other team to agree not to blitz or hit him on Saturdays then everything would be great.

The problem with JVB is he completely falls apart when there is any chance he will get hit. He does not appear to have the ability to stand in the pocket, hold the ball, and deliver an accurate pass knowing he is going to take a hit. This is an ability that some QBs have (all great QBs have this ability) and some don't.

I'll add that most people in general do not have this ability so its not like he's a pu$$y, it just makes him not great at qb.

Scorp, the game never slowed down for James last year. That was always my biggest critique, is that he felt phantom pressures, didn't set up under himself, etc. I think a lot of us assumed it would slow down for him this year. If anything, that problem has gotten worse. So I just don't think the kid is going to be able to clear his head. I think it is what it is.

Just reading this quote and looking at JVB's stats really, really makes it hard to believe that ANY D1 qb could seriously not warrant 1 single snap this season. You've said more than once that you know what you got with James. It's become time to find out what's sitting on the bench. You find me one game this year that James has been the difference. You take away that one throw in the Michigan St. game and the kid was 18/35 for 99 yards. While it was a great throw and one we expected to see many more of, like you said, it's just not there for him...

Latest posts