Ferentz 10/23 Presser Live Blog (FINISHED)

Re: Ferentz 10/23 Presser Live Blog

We did win the game didn't we? Or did I miss it. He's thinking that the team got a W and JVB was the QB. That's all he cares about.

Then go ahead and tell me what JVB did to consider him playing well enough to get us the win. We didnt beat MSU with our passing game; we won on rushing and defense.

In 2008, went back and forth til settled on Ricky, can we assume gap wider between James and guy behind

Anytime you see players rotate there at that position, its close and reason why you do it
-----------------

That's why. I have my masters in Kirk speak. I've listed to 99% of his pressers since he has been there. I've interviewed him one on one 20+ times, been around him at IClub functions 40+ times.

He said when its close, you rotate. Sans rotation, or another player coming in, it's not.

This makes total sense Jon but here's the problem. He would have said the same thing about the separation between Bullock & Weisman at the RB position before DB got hurt. He went with McCann for an entire season over Banks. He can say its not close until his lips turn blue but juding from his past, that is going to be hard for fans to buy for good reason.

In 2008, went back and forth til settled on Ricky, can we assume gap wider between James and guy behind

Anytime you see players rotate there at that position, its close and reason why you do it
-----------------

That's why. I have my masters in Kirk speak. I've listed to 99% of his pressers since he has been there. I've interviewed him one on one 20+ times, been around him at IClub functions 40+ times.

He said when its close, you rotate. Sans rotation, or another player coming in, it's not.

Aren't you also the one Jon who suggested Ruddock was the heir apparent a year ago? And now he's suddenly regressed to a point where he can't compete with the worst qb in college football?

Whatever. Sometimes your take is spot on but, more times than not, you come off as a Ferentz homer. If Ruddock is significantly worse than Vandy, this staff needs to be fired for offering a scholarship to him. This is becoming a joke.

Yeah, JVB did play well enough to help the team win. He didn't play great enough to make it comfortable. The 31 yard fade pass to Keenan on 2nd and 26, I just looked up the play by play again to make sure and it did happen.

We all know JVB is not playing anywhere near where anyone expected nor where he expected. What is the point in piling on him because the head coach keeps playing him? Does it make you feel better about yourself?

Then go ahead and tell me what JVB did to consider him playing well enough to get us the win. We didnt beat MSU with our passing game; we won on rushing and defense.

Vandenberg actually made a great, clutch pass to Davis on the last possession in the MSU game, a good 5 yard run on the goal line, and another great pass in overtime. We won the game. Vandy was a part of the win.

Is he a good QB? Not right now, but he is the best we have. Next year Sokol and perhaps others will be in the mix. You won't see them this year because they aren't ready to play.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? This is a 6 win team, best case. It's OK. If we win 6, we go to a good bowl game. If we don't, we won't. Deal with it

-----------------

It wasn't close in 2008. KF might have thought it was, but it wasn't even close.

Aren't you also the one Jon who suggested Ruddock was the heir apparent a year ago? And now he's suddenly regressed to a point where he can't compete with the worst qb in college football?

Whatever. Sometimes your take is spot on but, more times than not, you come off as a Ferentz homer. If Ruddock is significantly worse than Vandy, this staff needs to be fired for offering a scholarship to him. This is becoming a joke.

Last year at this time, when Iowa moved AJ Derby to TE, heck yes the underlying sentiment was that the staff felt Rudock would be better than he was. But that doesn't make him ready to play in the Big Ten right now. It mean't he was better than AJ Derby. And judging by Derby's stats at Juco ball, tough to argue.

As for your second comment, whatever. I've been around long enough to know two things

1) If I don't agree with an individual, I'm an idiot because I didn't validate your emotions
2) I don't care if I do or don't.

Gentlemen, what we have going on right now is a good ol' cockfight. In one corner, you have the $4M coach who's giving the proverbial bird to everyone outside the program saying, "I'm the motherf'n coach. I call the shots. If you don't like it, tough $hit! JVB is the starter and will be from now until the end of the season. Period!" In the other corner you have reporters and fans who are now sort of looking around, going, "WTF?!"

You know you're doing it wrong when you're the only one out of 124 teams doing it this way. But come he11 or high water, he's gonna keep beating his head against that proverbial brick wall.

As the great Apollo Creed once told Rocky, "It takes a helluva man to change....."

I love the Banks v McCann 2001 stuff. Because I'm sure that you all have talked with more than a dozen players from that team who back up your assertion that Banks was the better quarterback that year or was remotely ready to take all the snaps.

I have, and they are all unanimous; he wasn't. But that doesn't fit into your box of hate, so you'll punt it.

Yeah, JVB did play well enough to help the team win. He didn't play great enough to make it comfortable. The 31 yard fade pass to Keenan on 2nd and 26, I just looked up the play by play again to make sure and it did happen.

We all know JVB is not playing anywhere near where anyone expected nor where he expected. What is the point in piling on him because the head coach keeps playing him? Does it make you feel better about yourself?

Yeah it does actually.. because it makes now sense at this LEVEL that you don't have someone pushing JVB.. I find that disturbing..

Jon, i hear what you're saying and want to agree with you...but what is your reasoning for not playing jake saturday night when down 31-0? i have yet to hear a good reason not to play him and that is what frustrates me most.

Vandenberg actually made a great, clutch pass to Davis on the last possession in the MSU game, a good 5 yard run on the goal line, and another great pass in overtime. We won the game. Vandy was a part of the win.

Is he a good QB? Not right now, but he is the best we have. Next year Sokol and perhaps others will be in the mix. You won't see them this year because they aren't ready to play.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? This is a 6 win team, best case. It's OK. If we win 6, we go to a good bowl game. If we don't, we won't. Deal with it

People are upset because Ferentz has put personal relationships above winning. He let Norm stay on too long without having a well thought transition plan. He let O'Keefe stay on too long as well (although I now question whether it is KF that has stayed on too long). He makes $4 million per year and is getting fat off of expensive ticket prices and merchandising deals paid by the Iowa commoner. His product, however, is that of a subpar coach but one with all of the resources in the world. He's receiving far more than he's worth, you see, and for some reason it has become acceptable. The guy has become all hat and no cattle.

Jon, i hear what you're saying and want to agree with you...but what is your reasoning for not playing jake saturday night when down 31-0? i have yet to hear a good reason not to play him and that is what frustrates me most.

KF gave the reason above.....because he said so. According to him, that's good enough. And if not, too f'n bad! :D

Especially after JVB was taking hit after hit because we weren't trying to run the ball...

Or considering that he made the exact same switch, Law for Donatell, due to poor performance while it could be argued the game was still in doubt (though hindsight would tell us after the first quarter PSU could have punted on 1st down and it wouldn't have mattered)...

Ok, he makes one good throw during the game and now all of a sudden he played well enough. Wow, i wish you were my coach when i played. If all i had to do was make one good play a game and suck the rest.

Im really glad that you went back and checked the play by play to make sure that you were right in that JVB can in fact make the throws needed. So why should we pile on him. Because he can make the throws!

I don't have any good reasons either. I am hopeful Kirk does and his reasons are things he doesn't want to share

Last year at this time, when Iowa moved AJ Derby to TE, heck yes the underlying sentiment was that the staff felt Rudock would be better than he was. But that doesn't make him ready to play in the Big Ten right now. It mean't he was better than AJ Derby. And judging by Derby's stats at Juco ball, tough to argue.

As for your second comment, whatever. I've been around long enough to know two things

1) If I don't agree with an individual, I'm an idiot because I didn't validate your emotions
2) I don't care if I do or don't.

I am not one to call out on this board or have knee jerk reactions to stuff. That being said, JVB is not playing well this year.

However, you are very good at calling people out when they don't agree with you, and it seems like you enjoy arguing with others. I don't know how much better JVB is then Rudock, or Donatell is then Law. I also don't pretend that to have insider info, when I don't.

I love the Banks v McCann 2001 stuff. Because I'm sure that you all have talked with more than a dozen players from that team who back up your assertion that Banks was the better quarterback that year or was remotely ready to take all the snaps.

I have, and they are all unanimous; he wasn't. But that doesn't fit into your box of hate, so you'll punt it.

Ex-players probably aren't the most objective testimonials. I'm still going with the product demonstrated on the field.

Sham Wow, baby!!

I think Kirk said without saying it that the gap between Vandy and Jake is significant.

At this point no one cares how bif the gap is. JVB failed in the PSU game. Bring in the back up QB.

No one is suggesting that JVB can't make a come back... lead the Hawks to 3, 4 or 5 more wins.

When behind 31-0 put the back-up, the #2 frickin' QB.

Next week decide who to start..... sheeesh

Look, fan disappointment like this doesn't just happen in a vaccum, or over one season.....it's usually a cumulative effect. Take the following:

1. 2010 sucked given the talent on the field. For most people, this was the beginning of the end
2. 2011 was simply average and ended badly
3. KF has the chance to rejuvinate the program, especially on offense where with the exception of 2002, hadn't sniffed Top 50 in scoring offense. His answer was to hire a card carrying member of AARP who's answer to 3rd and 8 is to run a 3 yard out to the wide side of the field requiring the QB to throw the ball 30 yards horizontally to gain 3 yards vertically.
4. The results of that hire are playing out with one of the 10 worst offenses in college football
5. To make matters worse, the QB is having, statistically, the worst year EVER under Ferentz....worse even than either of the first 2 teams that won a combined 4 games. But KF is stubbornly sticking with him.
6. Given all this, the coach makes Top 10 money nationally and the athletic department makes Top 15 money nationally. But the product isn't even Top 50.
7. To pay for all of this, fans are paying triple and sometimes quadruple what they paid when Ferentz was first hired.

So yeah, I'd say every fan has a right to be pi$$ed right about now.

Latest posts