Ferentz 10/23 Presser Live Blog (FINISHED)

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I will be typing up Kirk's presser as he gives it today. As always, I am doing this live and trying to keep up with what he is saying, so please forgive some typos or grammatical errors as I am trying to type in the heart of what he is saying. A complete transcript will follow later this afternoon. Please do not reply in this thread until you see (FINISHED) in the subject line. Keep refreshing the thread to read the latest updates, or you can subscribe to the thread and be alerted when I make a new post. You do that by clicking on the the 'Thread tools' tab in the toolbar immediately above this post. The press conferences have begun anywhere from 12:30 to 12:40, so subscribing to this might be the best way to be alerted to when it's gone live.

Last edited:
Re: Ferentz 10/23 Presser Live Blog

Tough loss...put it to bed Sunday, get ready for a good NW team...6-2, playing well and two losses to excellent teams and had fourth q leads in both games...

Donnal and Scherff: Both out. Done for season

Scherff, now gone, how important was he to OL, seemed running to his side: He is an excellent player, played some last year. Improved every week. Good news is he has two years left great attitude. It was disappointing...mostly to a player to work 12 months a year to play 12 games...attitude tremendous Sat night, everyone saw that in stadium...I saw him SUnday great attitude. Anytime lose good player significant. Donnal has really come on and done agood job. Both have a few years left

What specific injuries:

Brandon broken bone, Andrew knee

MacMillan def left tackle, or competition: We have lost two good players out of that group...not sure how many have played this year, 7 or 8...Nolan was next guy in other night, did good job. Blythe had to come in..not veteran...try to get guys ready, Bofelli fighting through injuries..Walsh injured earlier but back now

Tobin LT?

if he doesnt start, he is backup...we are running out of guys.

Ward possible? I woujld rather not. Do not want to go to that pool if we can avoid it. He is possible. The pool is shallower now so he is up charts

Damon cleared? Yes, cleared to practice full speed but hvae to get him to game Sat

Canzeri Malloy on reddshirt duty: Malloy for sure if we could..changes week to week. two weeks ago he was on cusp, both he and Jordan were on cusp of going in game at MSU. Has practiced with 1's and 2's..Jordan really good week of practice last week...week to week. Both getting work

Mark given NW aspect of offense they haven't had recently

Dynamic player, first showed up two years ago..out of Houston area. saw it on special teams, coverage. He has been a spark going back two years. Now role where great job on special teams, dynamic returner. Took one 80 yards the other day against NEB. Have to account for him when on field.

Coulter, all over the place

Everytime you play them different challenges. #5 can do some things, Coulter can hurt you are QB or receiver and dont know where he will be, adds to preparation..they have a package for him that has been productive. Have to defend a lot always case with them

Aftr 7 games how eval QB

Wastn good enough to win last week, it was the week before..back to work today and see if we can get more points and yards

What are things to improve in passing game

Protection, route running, throwing and catching

Do you want james looking for quick pass

Depends on the play. Some polays are intended to go down field, some aren't. Depends on defense too

How far ahead of other QB's is James

In terms of...

Knowledge of system

Not sure I can quantify that. he is our starting QB . We all believe in him. I speak for all of us.

It's called armchair QB for reason, if offense strgugles, people point to QB

That is hardly new.

What would it take for you to sit James

Most of my decisions are made on what is best for team, all phases. If it comes to point where I change my mind, we will make changes. That is what we do, figure out what is best for us at any given point

Why not want to play another QB down 31-0 for experience if nothing else

you could make argument could give next player experience, but at that time I felt like keeping our offense out there and letting play was best

What does Jake Rudock do

I think potential to be a good quarterback. He looks like he did in August. Good thrower, works hard, a lot like JVB. All the characteristic that give a guy a chance to be good player. Smart, competitiv, throws well, will be good player

Has he pushed James at all, competitively..any real competition

I think there has been comp at at lot of spots, but we are tyring to make habit of getting our best guys on field that give us the best chance to win?

is Rudock ready to play

We wont know that until he starts playing

Is he where James was in 2009?

What I meant not run a 4.4...tjhrowing QB, smart, has great work ethic. Tough kid like James..in those ways a lot alike

In 2008, went back and forth til settled on Ricky, can we assume gap wider between James and guy behind

Anytime you see players rotate there at that position, its close and reason why you do it..we were trying to determine who our best was and we were not certain at beginning of the seaso...it panend out Ricky was the guy

Does James help formulate game plan with Greg?

Player input important for us..take into accont waht we feel like our players can do best at the time, formulate plan...on top of that, a player like James who has played, not uncommon for any QB coach or coord to encourage some conversation with a player, how you feel about this or that...not that they make plan, but input healthy

Have you had an experience during career that has shaped attitude towards what you want to see in QBs, how long stick with guy

Not really, it's clearly cloudy to borrow a phrase. Typically it is. I will say this; to evaluate what happened Sat, for any one player, it would be tough to do. Not much went well. to say it was one person or one area, missing boat. it was a thorough beating we experinced. We didn't come close to matching hteir executions..have to go back to 2004 to remember a game like that...to be reactionary based on one game would be a msitake....back to work today

Does that extend to coaches too

The blame or responsiblity lies at my feet, always has always will. for whatever reason we didn't play well as they did. If I could tell you why I would let you know, same as 2004...those things happen when you compete. you move on

Do you worry aout JVB confidence

I worry about everyone confidence, we just got nailed. The week before we had a big win, then worry about over confidence. Worry about everything all the time

after game, u said give Law some experience.. now htat you watch film think of him

He did some good things and made a lot of mistakes, too..that is what you expect

Between he and tom gap

Tom is our starter. It was close at one point, then Nico got hurt..guys who get hurt who havent played lose ground.

Nolan, 20 game stretch not play...that leap, how hard

It was a hot fire, good front this past week. I have been in games like that before. Not fun for coaches or players. He did good job, mentally ready and practiced well when he has been out there. No hope to keep him healthy

Weisman status

better than last week certainly...good enough to play Saturday, day by day thing. he was able to make it back..spent a lot of time with trainers and medical staff. He is a lot further ahead...get through week cleanly and hope he can be better this week

Latest posts