FB post from Willies' guardian

If Willes is really leaving due to "fit." That bugs me some. The kid has been injured the past two games. Against Purdue he a couple mental errors on site adjustment routes, one which cost us TD when he was not prepared for CJB's check out of the running game into the flare screen.

There will be plenty of opportunities for paying time next year. I think kids see these video game college offenses in other conferences, and corresponding stats, and get frustrated that is not how Iowa plays football.

Willies leaving is an absolute shame and embarrassment.

What more does someone need to do to get onto the field? He made tons of plays and catches in both open scrimmages as well as 2 big plays in the first 2 games this season in very limited duty only to see even fewer snaps. That is true bonifide performance folks.

How this program could not come out this year with Willies, Smith & Powell as the first 3 receivers along with CJ under center only underscores that KF is not committed to getting the best players on the field the majority of the time. There are other positions that should have seen some change as well.

What kind of program can be successful long term that is setup to run like a 'good old boys' club?

This shows the effect of a coach who feels he is above accountability because of an iron clad contract. He has no incentive to produce any more wins than he wants to. If his back was against the wall there is no way these situations would be mismanaged like they have been and if they had he would be gone.

Let's not pass this onto a kid as his problem. The problem is he is talented and not getting the ball like he honestly should.. You see coaches getting playmakers the ball every Saturday, yet we want them to "sit and wait for the future"

This kid is talented and I hate to see him go but why does everyone expect him to start as a RS Freshman. He's not going to another power 5 school and starting and getting 10 catches a game. If he were to transfer to say ASU he would be sitting for 2 years just like here. We have a bad habit as fans of seeing a young player make one or two great plays and assuming that seniors should sit to make room for a freshman.

Does this directly contradict the program's statement?

im not familiar with Nic but if how I'm reading this is correct, it won't be good

It appears "Nic," inadvertently or not, is doing his part to ensure that the Willies doesn't receive Iowa's blessing on attaining a hardship waiver. In his presser, Ferentz stated that Willies said his father's health was the reason for his wanting to transfer. Ferentz stated that Willies made no mention of playing time. He went on to say that if his father's health is the reason for the transfer, Iowa would do what they could to accommodate the request.

This kid is talented and I hate to see him go but why does everyone expect him to start as a RS Freshman. He's not going to another power 5 school and starting and getting 10 catches a game. If he were to transfer to say ASU he would be sitting for 2 years just like here. We have a bad habit as fans of seeing a young player make one or two great plays and assuming that seniors should sit to make room for a freshman.

no doubt about it.

I disagree as it is about performance and being a difference maker period not years of experience. Every player should be competing for PT throughout every season. Competition breads production and excellence.

What's the motivation to go to practice then if there is a starter in the next class at your position? Is everyone who starts once just grandfathered in until they graduate?

Great programs play their best players and difference makers regardless. If the current starter does not like it then produce.

wondering about D. Willies - wonder how long he's ever stayed in any one place? he's had a difficult life, as i understand it, up to this point.

and when you are at that age, decisions are sometimes not well thought out and maybe not the best, long term. i know i can say that for my self at that age.

wondering about D. Willies - wonder how long he's ever stayed in any one place? he's had a difficult life, as i understand it, up to this point.

and when you are at that age, decisions are sometimes not well thought out and maybe not the best, long term. i know i can say that for my self at that age.

This. Kid hasn't stayed with a team more than a year or two in his life. Now, here he is as a redshirt frosh about to pack it up and leave again.

If you can't handle getting limited playing time as a redshirt freshman, what does that say about your mental fortitude. What does that say about commitment to the team?

Great talent, for sure. But all you whiners thinking we should bend the program over backwards to accommodate a freshman's lack of commitment and maturity are ridiculous.

Culture is one of the most important things in any program. Obviously, Iowa need to improve its culture if it has freshmen jumping ship for lack of playing time. But you don't change the culture by cowtowing to the needs of boys. You turn those boys into men that can handle adversity and commit.

This. Kid hasn't stayed with a team more than a year or two in his life. Now, here he is as a redshirt frosh about to pack it up and leave again.

If you can't handle getting limited playing time as a redshirt freshman, what does that say about your mental fortitude. What does that say about commitment to the team?

Great talent, for sure. But all you whiners thinking we should bend the program over backwards to accommodate a freshman's lack of commitment and maturity are ridiculous.

Culture is one of the most important things in any program. Obviously, Iowa need to improve its culture if it has freshmen jumping ship for lack of playing time. But you don't change the culture by cowtowing to the needs of boys. You turn those boys into men that can handle adversity and commit.

I don't think anyone thinks the program should bend over for him (I'm betting you like it when Barta bends over for Kirk tho) instead people would like us to use our playmakers so losses to pathetic teams like the Cyclones don't happen on a regular basis.

There is nothing on Nic Gieselman's FB page but a series of pictures... not a single post.

More BS rumors... you guys are easy.

There is nothing on Nic Gieselman's FB page but a series of pictures... not a single post.

More BS rumors... you guys are easy.

So I have a very easy question, are you friends with him on FB? If your not that explains why there is nothing.. Way to easy.. :)

I don't know Nic, but I do have friends that are friends with him on FB as I used to live in Burlington..

It's been touched on in about 35 other threads, but one way to ensure you'll get no more playing time is to quit the team. Not blaming the kid, it just doesn't make sense. Someone (his guardian, for example) ought to walk through these consequences with him, as a young kid in the middle of it doesn't always see things clearly. Tell him to stick it out, see if things change (they can and often do), and at the end of the season if things haven't changed, then make the call.

The dad being sick made more sense to me. Quitting in the middle of the season because you're not playing doesn't make sense.

It appears "Nic," inadvertently or not, is doing his part to ensure that the Willies doesn't receive Iowa's blessing on attaining a hardship waiver. In his presser, Ferentz stated that Willies said his father's health was the reason for his wanting to transfer. Ferentz stated that Willies made no mention of playing time. He went on to say that if his father's health is the reason for the transfer, Iowa would do what they could to accommodate the request.

Kid's dad probably just made it harder on him to find another "good" school too. Most coaches don't like parents who "speak out".

This is a valid point. It remains to be seen if this will be a good move for him. Personally I hope it works out for him. But its going to hurt not seeing him develop at Iowa.

As for what the guardian posted, that could very well be the case and its still easy to believe that he probably said to Ferentz that he wanted to transfer due to his father illness while not harping on lack of playing time. Sort of like being a young employee and telling your boss your leaving for another job because its a great opportunity. Staying away from the negative like, "I'm leaving because I don't like working for you, or I don't like this company." This reason also leaves him the possibility of a NCAA waiver for eligibility next fall. If he goes public with lack of playing time, Willies gives that up.

As for Ferentz, I believe he could have prevented this or at the very least made it a easier place for Willies to want to play. This is a player who does what Ferentz values most in a WR, tough blocking (watch the big Parker play against Purdue, 20 yards of that was due to Willies burying the CB). We're not talking about him playing behind DJK or McNutt or even Davis or Brodell. There are no WRs on this roster with his physical gifts. IMO there isn't a combo of 2 WRs on this roster I wouldn't trade to get him back. When you have players like that you have to get them on the field. Ferentz didn't in the 5 games in which he was healthy. Not even close.

Willies leaving is an absolute shame and embarrassment.

What more does someone need to do to get onto the field? He made tons of plays and catches in both open scrimmages as well as 2 big plays in the first 2 games this season in very limited duty only to see even fewer snaps. That is true bonifide performance folks.

How this program could not come out this year with Willies, Smith & Powell as the first 3 receivers along with CJ under center only underscores that KF is not committed to getting the best players on the field the majority of the time. There are other positions that should have seen some change as well.
Couldn't agree more. But, does it surprise you anymore? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that DJK was ever listed as a starting WR in his years at Iowa. He ended up as, what, the No. 1 or No. 2 leading receiver in Iowa history? Despite all that talent, it's Kirk making a point because DJK wasn't a "Kirk guy."

The fact that Smith, Powell, Willies, Daniels and Parker weren't getting a large majority of the touches in every game speaks to the severity of the problems within the program. At least to my eyes, it's blatantly obvious these are the best playmakers on the Iowa roster.

Originally posted by IowaHOCKS23

Let's not pass this onto a kid as his problem. The problem is he is talented and not getting the ball like he honestly should.. You see coaches getting playmakers the ball every Saturday, yet we want them to "sit and wait for the future"
Agreed. What I also don't understand ... Iowa has made an effort not to redshirt talented freshmen lately, giving people the impression that they're getting talented players on the field, but then they don't even use them. Did the Hawks really need to keep the redshirts off of guys like Daniels, Law and Spearman?

This kid is getting some VERY, VERY bad advice. Quitting is never the answer (minus family issues to be home, or if a coach is playing you when you are injured). Neither seems to be the case. CJ had it right, you finish the season, then do what is best for you. If you leave, it isn't the end of the world, and that doesn't make you a quitter at all, just someone who decided they needed something different. Or maybe you decide to pull an Anthony Clemmons and re double your efforts as you feel you were most of the reason why things didn't go the way that you want.

It isn't like this is some 4* or 5* recruit. I know all of HN was salivating for him (I was too, and I think this is a big loss for us), but lets face it, his P5 choices were Iowa and ISU. I'm not sure why he feels entitled to just come in and be given playing time, you have to earn it. 23 eluded to the fact he was "dogging" it as to not get injured so he could get out, and he thinks that the coaching staff couldn't see that? He thinks he is so talented that as a RS FR he can dog it, and still earn playing time over athletes that are giving it their all??

As I said this kid is getting some terrible advice. Nothing bad will ever come of putting your nose to the grindstone and working hard. Lets say the coaches are screwing you, and you should be playing more, how is working hard going to hurt? You either earn more playing time working hard, or you make yourself a better player for when you move on at the end of the year. I'm really disappointed he felt the answer was to quit, this will do him ZERO good moving forward as a football player.

This kid is getting some VERY, VERY bad advice. Quitting is never the answer (minus family issues to be home, or if a coach is playing you when you are injured). Neither seems to be the case. CJ had it right, you finish the season, then do what is best for you. If you leave, it isn't the end of the world, and that doesn't make you a quitter at all, just someone who decided they needed something different. Or maybe you decide to pull an Anthony Clemmons and re double your efforts as you feel you were most of the reason why things didn't go the way that you want.

It isn't like this is some 4* or 5* recruit. I know all of HN was salivating for him (I was too, and I think this is a big loss for us), but lets face it, his P5 choices were Iowa and ISU. I'm not sure why he feels entitled to just come in and be given playing time, you have to earn it. 23 eluded to the fact he was "dogging" it as to not get injured so he could get out, and he thinks that the coaching staff couldn't see that? He thinks he is so talented that as a RS FR he can dog it, and still earn playing time over athletes that are giving it their all??

As I said this kid is getting some terrible advice. Nothing bad will ever come of putting your nose to the grindstone and working hard. Lets say the coaches are screwing you, and you should be playing more, how is working hard going to hurt? You either earn more playing time working hard, or you make yourself a better player for when you move on at the end of the year. I'm really disappointed he felt the answer was to quit, this will do him ZERO good moving forward as a football player.

This bad choice doesn't erase the legitimacy of his frustration.

Latest posts