Favorite Iowa State Moment

Does anyone at all remember the ISU player stepping from the sideline to the field to tackle a Buffalo runner on a kickoff return that would have gone all the way? I think it was the old stadium. I thought it was epic.

well about 15 games in a row by Hayden was great. 1983 or 84 maybe where the hawks just sliced thru them in Ames scoring in the 50s. 1997 dwight and banks et al just crushed them. brodells punt return was awesome

Yes, almost forgot this one! I was in the first few rows of the student section for that one and didn't get the best view of it, unfortunately. You could tell from the crowd reaction that it was just a brutal hit though. Those peel back blocks are illegal now I'm pretty sure.
The worst part is it was all in vain for the ISU dude. He was never gonna catch Grigsby anyway.

Last year's punt return is honorable mention to me. My favorite was as a kid (so my memory may be off some) when a player on the sideline stopped a Colorado Buf kickoff return touchdown. Does anyone have more of the story?

Not sure if the same play, but in 1973, an Oklahoma State played came off the sideline to tackle an ISU player.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/fu8k8f/in_one_of_the_strangest_plays_in_isu_history_osus/

d9x8ybp.jpg

XtezBBX.jpg

Yes, almost forgot this one! I was in the first few rows of the student section for that one and didn't get the best view of it, unfortunately. You could tell from the crowd reaction that it was just a brutal hit though. Those peel back blocks are illegal now I'm pretty sure.

They should be illegal lol he could have killed him. I wonder if the guy on the receiving end of that block remembers anything about the hit. I'm guessing as hard as he was hit he sees it for the first time, every time it's played back because he has no memory of what happened that day or every day since.

They should be illegal lol he could have killed him. I wonder if the guy on the receiving end of that block remembers anything about the hit. I'm guessing as hard as he was hit he sees it for the first time, every time it's played back because he has no memory of what happened that day or every day since.

Not sure if illegal and hard to make it illegal if the block is above the waist, in the front part of the player's body being blocked, and not targeting. If you are chasing a ball carryer as they say you better have the head on a swivel as I dont think in the open field you are a defenseless player.

My favorite moment is every time the Clowns piss down their own leg especially in the 4th quarter.

Last year's fumbled punt return in the closing minutes works well for me but also enjoyed this performance both on the field as well as off..............

IMG_0556.JPG

I actually know him pretty well. I talked to him once about it, he just said, “yeah... that hurt” and left it at that. Super nice guy.

1. 1977, Iowa upsets the clones @ Kinnick in the first game of the renewed series. ISU adds to the fail by wearing "BEAT IOWA" jerseys. The beginning of a new era of ISU embarrassing themselves regularly and a foreshadowing of things to come; Iowa's resurgence and the end of ISU's flirt with relevance under Majors and Bruce.
I was lucky enough to be in Row 1 of the North end zone. (my buddy was a team manager for the Hawks...sweaty jock duty... and got me the tickets). The students rushed the field and the goal posts fell right in front of me. The day I "committed" to IOWA for my college years.

2. The punt return cluster f*** of 2019 which sealed the IOWA victory. I may be giving it too much weight as it's recent, but there is no more beautiful symbolism of ISU's futility than that play. Epic.

3. Marshall Yanda laying out the ISU defender...pretty sure that kid still has a concussion. Once again, beautiful symbolism. That play says it all re: IOWA vs isu

4. The 2009 beat down. If it was little league, they would have called the game.

5. ISU choking away the "big"12 north division title. Actually...any of the games they had in hand and found a way to lose. Take your pick from the catalog.

Honorable mention: Too much smoke. Can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Not sure if illegal and hard to make it illegal if the block is above the waist, in the front part of the player's body being blocked, and not targeting. If you are chasing a ball carryer as they say you better have the head on a swivel as I dont think in the open field you are a defenseless player.

Back then those types of crackback blocks were not illegal. Today they are because it is considered blocking a defenseless player as they did not have the opportunity to see Yanda coming for more than a few steps. I do not know the exact verbiage of the rule but we had to cover it more than once in football last year. In essence you need to give the player an opportunity to be able to defend themselves.

I think football has added way too many rules over the last several years but in my opinion this one is a good one. It can be an extremely dangerous situation.

I actually know him pretty well. I talked to him once about it, he just said, “yeah... that hurt” and left it at that. Super nice guy.

Feel bad for him actually. He'll forever be known as the guy that Yanda demolished. But hey at least he's famous for something. He can at least thump his chest as a survivor.

Feel bad for him actually. He'll forever be known as the guy that Yanda demolished. But hey at least he's famous for something. He can at least thump his chest as a survivor.

Maybe for Iowa fans. However he was a 4 year starter for ISU, played as a true freshman, and had a pretty dang good career, and is now involved in mentoring players on the ISU team as he still lives in the area. He's passionate about seeing those young guys succeed on and off the field, he has a great family, and is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Trust me, there are a lot worse things in life.

Maybe for Iowa fans. However he was a 4 year starter for ISU, played as a true freshman, and had a pretty dang good career, and is now involved in mentoring players on the ISU team as he still lives in the area. He's passionate about seeing those young guys succeed on and off the field, he has a great family, and is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Trust me, there are a lot worse things in life.

Good for him but I never trust a clown!

1. 1977, Iowa upsets the clones @ Kinnick in the first game of the renewed series. ISU adds to the fail by wearing "BEAT IOWA" jerseys. The beginning of a new era of ISU embarrassing themselves regularly and a foreshadowing of things to come; Iowa's resurgence and the end of ISU's flirt with relevance under Majors and Bruce.
I was lucky enough to be in Row 1 of the North end zone. (my buddy was a team manager for the Hawks...sweaty jock duty... and got me the tickets). The students rushed the field and the goal posts fell right in front of me. The day I "committed" to IOWA for my college years.

2. The punt return cluster f*** of 2019 which sealed the IOWA victory. I may be giving it too much weight as it's recent, but there is no more beautiful symbolism of ISU's futility than that play. Epic.

3. Marshall Yanda laying out the ISU defender...pretty sure that kid still has a concussion. Once again, beautiful symbolism. That play says it all re: IOWA vs isu

4. The 2009 beat down. If it was little league, they would have called the game.

5. ISU choking away the "big"12 north division title. Actually...any of the games they had in hand and found a way to lose. Take your pick from the catalog.

Honorable mention: Too much smoke. Can't make this stuff up.

Winner!

Latest posts