Favorite Chuck Long memories

HNMitchSmith

Chuck Long is the subject of this week's "Where are they now" (story can be found here: http://hawkeyenation.com/2015/chuck-long)

He ended his career as one the best QB in Iowa football history, and one of the best in the Big Ten. Long led Iowa to the Rose Bowl, and to victories in the Peach and Freedom Bowls.

What is your favorite Chuck Long memory from his playing days at Iowa?

The naked bootleg against MSU.
This has to be it, as a single play that stands out in his illustrious career. The rest is a merger of countless 18 yard out patterns delivered right on the money to [fill in the blank].

1985 Rose Bowl. He played great...29-37 for 319 yards and TD...but he had two dropped that could have been TDs, and after Harmon fumbled four times in the first half...UCLA knew we had to abandon the running game...too big a hole to overcome.

How in the hell do you remember these old threads?

Not complaining.

IzNJg.png

Since the MSU bootleg is off the table I will go with the ‘84 Freedom bowl against Texas. 5 TD passes back in the day before it happened 50 times every Saturday.

CL had a game where he completed 18 or 19 in a row at the time it was one or two short of the NCAA record. I can’t remember who it was against......believe it was Indiana but I am not positive.

Since the MSU bootleg is off the table I will go with the ‘84 Freedom bowl against Texas. 5 TD passes back in the day before it happened 50 times every Saturday.

CL had a game where he completed 18 or 19 in a row at the time it was one or two short of the NCAA record. I can’t remember who it was against......believe it was Indiana but I am not positive.
The Texas game is the one that comes to my mind as well. That was a great game and it was played in a driving rainstorm, IIRC. Hayden loved beating the mighty Longhorns.
I can't be sure but I believe the long completion string game was against Indiana.

EVERY SINGLE PLAY THAT CHUCK LONG MADE WAS MY FAVORITE!

He is my all time favorite Hawkeye.

8 yard outs to Happel and Halverson? Check

Long bombs to Smith? Check

Naked boot legs? Check

The closest Heisman loss ever? To the greatest athlete to ever walk this planet? Check

EVERY SINGLE PLAY THAT CHUCK LONG MADE WAS MY FAVORITE!

He is my all time favorite Hawkeye.

8 yard outs to Happel and Halverson? Check

Long bombs to Smith? Check

Naked boot legs? Check

The closest Heisman loss ever? To the greatest athlete to ever walk this planet? Check
With the medical research facilities we have in Iowa city, it’s a complete waste of scientific resources that no one has taken dna from Chuck, Ricky, and CJ and created a triple clone Hawkeye QB in one of the labs. And of course keeping enough genetic stock to create new ones every four years.