Fast Rising Candidate: Tony Barbee of UTEP

UTEP? UTEP???

:rolleyes:

Butler is a better mid-major than UTEP.

And Barbee has recruited better than anyone from Butler has dreamed about.

There's a decent chance Iowa's hire is not going to come from a major conference. Not sure that many major conference guys that have won are going to look at Iowa as a step up right now.

He named one of his kids Hayden. With that, he is destined to come to Iowa and feel the love from Hawkeye Nation!

And Barbee has recruited better than anyone from Butler has dreamed about.

There's a decent chance Iowa's hire is not going to come from a major conference. Not sure that many major conference guys that have won are going to look at Iowa as a step up right now.

Yup

Barbee isn't bad, but it could be much worse- like some of you idiots who talk on here or call into local sports stations who say and want to see Keno Davis or Bobby Knight- you people need to be shot.

He's running neck and neck with Steve Forbes at the top of my list. I can now see that the glass is more than half full.

Double-Standard?

I think it's perfectly fair that if we're going to question Damon Archibald's past ties to Jerry Tarkanian, or the fact Greg McDermott brought in someone connected to the Pump Brothers, then Iowa should probably be questioned if it hires a basketball coach who considers John Calipari a friend and mentor.

I want a great recruiter but the more I read about Barbee the less I like.

1. Historically, UTEP is a very different place to recruit to than Iowa. I doubt seriously that he could get the kids into Iowa that he recruits to UTEP, or that he recruited to Memphis.

2. Looks like he's had some fairly significant turnover in players?

3. His staff includes the likes of Milt Wagner, who used his son to gravytrain his way to a job at Memphis.

4. I don't see the association with Calipari as a positive. Calipari has won the wrong way. He leads the nation in Final Fours that the school he left behind had to expunge from their records.

There are a lot of good coaches and good recruiters out there whose track record isn't built on places with no ethics and/or no standards.

I really hope we don't go this direction. Auburn is a much better fit for him.

Last edited:
While CUSA is not the B10; it is a whole lot closer to it than the freaking Horizon League. Who'd you rather play- Memphis or Green Bay, Tulsa or Cleveland State, etc. etc.

Jon, I started a thread last night saying Barbee would be my #1 choice if Pearl was not an option. Are any of your back channel sources indicating whether ther is any interest in the Iowa job from Barbee?

Latest posts