Fast Rising Candidate: Tony Barbee of UTEP

I do think Iowa needs to move quickly on this, however, from what I know, we were the first to get rid of our coach this year- because we are one of the 5 teams who arent playing any post season games. Potential candidates are aware of the opening here I am sure, but I hope we don't jump into something so quick we possibly lose a potential coach who is currently coaching in the post season. DON'T F THIS ONE UP BARTA!

I agree Jon and I apologize, but I didn't think it was appropriate either and felt strongly about what he had posted. My apologies to the board

I don't think it is out of bounds to discuss the race of a coach, particularly since Iowa has never had a coach of color before. Iowa is a pretty homogenous state racially, and I think if a black coach could have success here, it would open some eyes, both basketball wise and in just generally, that Iowa is a state that celebrates diversity and can be a destination for smart and successful minorities.

Re: Double-Standard?

I think it's perfectly fair that if we're going to question Damon Archibald's past ties to Jerry Tarkanian, or the fact Greg McDermott brought in someone connected to the Pump Brothers, then Iowa should probably be questioned if it hires a basketball coach who considers John Calipari a friend and mentor.

Iowa officials have openly questioned Damon Archibald's past?

Jon, I started a thread last night saying Barbee would be my #1 choice if Pearl was not an option. Are any of your back channel sources indicating whether ther is any interest in the Iowa job from Barbee?
That's the reason for the thread. It's a trial balloon.

Good creds for Barbee: coaching tree, recruiter, and up-tempo. Sounds good to me.

I do think Iowa needs to move quickly on this, however, from what I know, we were the first to get rid of our coach this year- because we are one of the 5 teams who arent playing any post season games. Potential candidates are aware of the opening here I am sure, but I hope we don't jump into something so quick we possibly lose a potential coach who is currently coaching in the post season. DON'T F THIS ONE UP BARTA!

I believe Barta will more carefully consider the candidates this time and will hire a coach that will have a positive influence on the basketball program. The program is down but nowhere near to being out. With the right coach it will be on the way up in short order.

I don't think it is out of bounds to discuss the race of a coach, particularly since Iowa has never had a coach of color before. Iowa is a pretty homogenous state racially, and I think if a black coach could have success here, it would open some eyes, both basketball wise and in just generally, that Iowa is a state that celebrates diversity and can be a destination for smart and successful minorities.

Does George Reveling ring a bell. Here in the mid-80's, and recruited the players that Davis took to the E-8.

I think it's perfectly fair that if we're going to question Damon Archibald's past ties to Jerry Tarkanian, or the fact Greg McDermott brought in someone connected to the Pump Brothers, then Iowa should probably be questioned if it hires a basketball coach who considers John Calipari a friend and mentor.
Good point.

Me: one step back.

I don't want to render someone guilty by association. Calapari does have somewhat of a snakeoil salesman look about him but what serious infractions has he been found guilty of? One thing is for certain, and that is that he is a proven winner; a trend that I hope continues for 6 more games as I have Kentucky going all the way in every pool that I am in.

If Barbee is guilty of anything by his association with Calipari, it is the ability to run a successful basketball program.

I don't want to render someone guilty by association. Calapari does have somewhat of a snakeoil salesman look about him but what serious infractions has he been found guilty of? One thing is for certain, and that is that he is a proven winner; a trend that I hope continues for 6 more games as I have Kentucky going all the way in every pool that I am in.

If Barbee is guilty of anything by his association with Calipari, it is the ability to run a successful basketball program.
Good point.

Me: one step forward.

:D

Haven't UMass and Memphis had to vacate final four appearances from when he was coach?

Latest posts