Families of Former Black Iowa Football Players Organizing for Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was I wrong about, the guy wasn't running or trying to get away?

It is a lie of omission, failing to include the absolute most material fact, which is that the guy had a taser pointed at a pursuing officer at the moment the decision to use lethal force was made.

Picture this - let's say you fell into a coma an hour after the Iowa-Illinois basketball game earlier this year and when you wake up, you ask "how did we finish the season in hoops?" Say that the first thing I tell you is "Good news, Ree4, Iowa didn't lose another game after that Illinois game we pissed down our legs." You're gonna want to head to Scheels and get your natty title sweatshirt. But have I conveyed to you the whole story? Do you understand how the omission of a material fact can change a narrative? In fact, I believe I engaged when you started your discussion on this matter with the following lie of omission. Do you see how your story has "evolved" since you made this proclamation?

All for the horrendous and very dangerous crime of sleeping in a car while black.

Did you overpower him, then steal his taser and aim it at a law enforcement officer?

No...they didn't have tasers back then. Do you think the taser was threatening the life of the officer as he was running away? He's running why not shoot him in the leg...not pump two into his back. It's a ridiculous argument if you really think a drunk man running away is life threatening. Did you see the way he fired the taser?

There's two officers there...my god. It's insane what they did. Hell...we were so bored in Iowa where I grew up, we used to throw snowballs at cops to get them to chase us...should they have shot us?

No...they didn't have tasers back then. Do you think the taser was threatening the life of the officer as he was running away? He's running why not shoot him in the leg...not pump two into his back. It's a ridiculous argument if you really think a drunk man running away is life threatening. Did you see the way he fired the taser?

There's two officers there...my god. It's insane what they did. Hell...we were so bored in Iowa where I grew up, we used to throw snowballs at cops to get them to chase us...should they have shot us?

Ah, the old shoot him in the leg argument. That's a great one. Get back to me when you've shot a gun while running with adrenaline pumping after a fight.

It is a lie of omission, failing to include the absolute most material fact, which is that the guy had a taser pointed at a pursuing officer at the moment the decision to use lethal force was made.

Picture this - let's say you fell into a coma an hour after the Iowa-Illinois basketball game earlier this year and when you wake up, you ask "how did we finish the season in hoops?" Say that the first thing I tell you is "Good news, Ree4, Iowa didn't lose another game after that Illinois game we pissed down our legs." You're gonna want to head to Scheels and get your natty title sweatshirt. But have I conveyed to you the whole story? Do you understand how the omission of a material fact can change a narrative? In fact, I believe I engaged when you started your discussion on this matter with the following lie of omission. Do you see how your story has "evolved" since you made this proclamation?
That's how it all started, I didn't change anything. Of course details are important. I said that for effect. We've all seen the video. So you feel the police were justified to shoot him in the back as he's running away, putting bystanders at risk all because he "wrestled with the cop" and pointed a taser at him. He fired the taser and it was nowhere close to hitting anyone. After that he turned his shoulders and was absolutely ZERO threat, for 5 steps. Then the cop decided to kill him. At what point did you see him try to injure the police? He taser shot did not look like an effort at all, more of a warning shot. It was more pointed in the air than at the officer.

Why not let the guy go? They have his car, they have all of his info, they had a conversation for 30 minutes with the guy. They can always pick him up and add an evasion charge later. Does life mean so little to you? Why did he have to be killed at that instant.

Last edited:
My question to you was what were the police supposed to do and what alternatives did they have in your eyes.
Let him the F go and get him later. He did not deserve to die at that moment. Now he's dead, and the cop is likely ruined, maybe the other cop too. The police chief resigned. A Wendys was destroyed. More will be in Atlanta as well. It wasn't necessary to kill him and look at the fallout that it has caused and will continue to cause.

Look at the cost of killing him, now compare the cost of letting him go. You tell me which is higher.

No he didnt deserve it, nobody does. But the cops didnt deserve to be assaulted and one of them to have their weapon stolen as well. None of that should have happened. Also, you mention that the cops had a conversation with him for 30 minutes, so they were certain to have received the information on who they were dealing with, not the loving father that was a fun loving guy kind of bullshit. So they knew they were dealing with a convicted felon with a violent history.

So you just let him go? And he is just going to go home and sober up and wait for the police to come and get him where he can quietly go with them? How would you feel if he went home and killed his kids or his wife or his girlfriend, all of which the police were sure to be aware of because they had ample time to learn that info? How do you know the car he had was even his, or the address that was listed is really his? How do you know that the guy isnt going to take the taser and use it to jack a car, and kill an old lady with a pace maker? Are you sure you will be able to find this guy? Or do you just let a criminal go because he "didnt deserve it"?

I would say of all the options here, letting him go at that time would have been the last option to be considered. So that kind of narrows it down doesn't it?
So you would choose death based on groundless hypotheticals and more of your assumptions. Guess that answers that question.

I am saying it is an impossible situation, one that had to be made on-the-spot. So to sit here and be so righteous on what should have happened is not right.
I feel it is more than right to say the officer should not have shot him 3 times in the back while he was running away.

Ah, the old shoot him in the leg argument. That's a great one. Get back to me when you've shot a gun while running with adrenaline pumping after a fight.

My other idea would be to just yell...dance...then start shooting at his feet...stops them in their tracks every time. Of course you kill them...end their life...it's their own damn fault for drinking, then falling asleep, then behaving drunk. I think they should just kill the mentally ill or alcoholics too...on the spot. Why wait till they cross the wrong cop.

Someone, maybe Mr. Dirtwrap,asked what the officers should have done. I was a dispatcher for a very large police department in Iowa, First all all, this not a 911 call. It is a ridiculous use of police time in a large city like Atlanta. Second, if they thought he was impaired, they could have helped him call a ride and let that person pick him up. I have known plenty of officers who would have moved his car, and helped him place that call if for no other reason than to avoid the paperwork and hassle of hauling someone like that to jail. It keeps them away from being available for trips that truly need emergency response.

For me, the story is that these players are organizing and it smells like a class action. We have names now and they’re trying to bring more in.

News stories--such as the one where Mrs. Wadley told her son he was going to stay & stick it out--might just play a role.

That won't fit your narrative, though...

News stories--such as the one where Mrs. Wadley told her son he was going to stay & stick it out--might just play a role.

That won't fit your narrative, though...

Maybe in the past. Abuse and how victims respond is much better understood now. Might not fit your narrative.

I think college football might just be over for me. Do I believe that Iowa was secretly a hidden base for the KKK? No, but now people across the nation think they were. Two brothers from Dubuque burned a cross in a family's yard a few years back and every Dubuque resident was a racist in the eyes of America. I don't know why we aren't seeing more support for Kirk from past players and that is disconcerting. Their silence is deafening. Goodbye Kirk.

I think college football might just be over for me. Do I believe that Iowa was secretly a hidden base for the KKK? No, but now people across the nation think they were. Two brothers from Dubuque burned a cross in a family's yard a few years back and every Dubuque resident was a racist in the eyes of America. I don't know why we aren't seeing more support for Kirk from past players and that is disconcerting. Their silence is deafening. Goodbye Kirk.
Whatever happened to the McDermott brothers, other than the fact that they were in the slammer for a long time.

I remember that famous Phil Donahue show where for one, Billy McDermott didn't know who Rosa Parks was and two, he was wearing a Body Alive sweatshirt. That line of clothing, popular with weightlifters in the 1990's, was owned by Robbie Robertson who was an African American professional bodybuilder.

Bill Carpenter turned his life around somewhat and became a world class powerlifter and fitness trainer. It was his dad getting stabbed on the job (which ended his police career) and then mayor Jim Brady's plan to recruit minority families to "diversify Dubuque", that led to the negative incidents in the first place.

No he didnt deserve it, nobody does. But the cops didnt deserve to be assaulted and one of them to have their weapon stolen as well. None of that should have happened. Also, you mention that the cops had a conversation with him for 30 minutes, so they were certain to have received the information on who they were dealing with, not the loving father that was a fun loving guy kind of bullshit. So they knew they were dealing with a convicted felon with a violent history.

So you just let him go? And he is just going to go home and sober up and wait for the police to come and get him where he can quietly go with them? How would you feel if he went home and killed his kids or his wife or his girlfriend, all of which the police were sure to be aware of because they had ample time to learn that info? How do you know the car he had was even his, or the address that was listed is really his? How do you know that the guy isnt going to take the taser and use it to jack a car, and kill an old lady with a pace maker? Are you sure you will be able to find this guy? Or do you just let a criminal go because he "didnt deserve it"?

I would say of all the options here, letting him go at that time would have been the last option to be considered. So that kind of narrows it down doesn't it?

You are so full of crap. The officer had issues too...reprimanded several times and once for excessive force. How do you know he's not going to go car jack someone...because if you listened to him...you knew. He was talking about getting home for his daughters birthday. How do you know he's not going to go buy roses for his daughter's birthday? You don't...don't act like this guy was going to go commit violent crime if this cop doesn't shoot him. You are moron. He's got three kids under 5 you idiot...he wanted to go home.

Typical police freaking action in my opinion. They had an opportunity to do the decent thing. He moved his car, he was cooperative...why not give him a break...and not arrest him. Let his family come get him. Done...crisis averted.

Instead, it's the militaristic approach that a criminal act has been done and it needs to be punished. If he had a history of DUI's, arrest him and punish him. If not, I say let him go with a driver to drive him home.

You don't shoot a guy in the back who's running away from you. You have his car and know exactly who he is. Your take is asinine.

Last edited:
You are so full of crap. The officer had issues too...reprimanded several times and once for excessive force. How do you know he's not going to go car jack someone...because if you listened to him...you knew. He was talking about getting home for his daughters birthday. How do you know he's not going to go buy roses for his daughter's birthday? You don't...don't act like this guy was going to go commit violent crime if this cop doesn't shoot him. You are moron. He's got three kids under 5 you idiot...he wanted to go home.

Typical police freaking action in my opinion. They had an opportunity to do the decent thing. He moved his car, he was cooperative...why not give him a break...and not arrest him. Let his family come get him. Done...crisis averted.

Instead, it's the militaristic approach that a criminal act has been done and it needs to be punished. If he had a history of DUI's, arrest him and punish him. If not, I say let him go with a driver to drive him home.

You don't shoot a guy in the back who's running away from you. You have his car and know exactly who he is. Your take is asinine.
He also waited 2:12 before providing any medical assistance, kicked him while he was on the ground dying, and the other officer stood on his shoulder. They sound like people who really value human life. I don't even know much about tasers but at least I know they only hold two rounds and both had already been fired when Rolfe murdered him.

We used to climb the fence at the swimming pool, have my sister give us a half hour and then call the cops to come chase us. Geez I could have gotten shot.

Ya I think this is the beginning of the end for Ferentz and Iowa football. Ending may not happen this year, but soon. Also pretty much slams the door on Brian Ferentz ever leading this program and thank god for that.
Wow, another ignorant post from news stream. Who would have guessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts