Families of Former Black Iowa Football Players Organizing for Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akrum Wadley, Reggie Spearman and others alleging racism in Hawkeye program:

LINK
Every allegation needs to be taken seriously, but some of Spearman's statements seem dubious. First, it doesn't take "months" for any alcohol toxicology test to come back. Not even close. Plus, I'd have to check, but I believe the option besides the breathalyzer is a blood test, which takes a few hours after it arrives at the lab. Urine tests come back as fast or even faster.

Second, I think almost all of us have a hard time envisioning Kirk calling a player "names" to the point of causing him to breakdown and cry. I doubt that passes the sniff test even for the anti-Kirk crowd. The problem is that it's a story that can't be corroborated either way. In those situations, you have to go with who sounds the most credible.

While I feel it is important to stand behind and be supportive of anyone who steps up in this situation, I also feel that as observers we need to at least do our due diligence and be aware that some will see this as an opportunity to grind the proverbial axe.

For me, the story is that these players are organizing and it smells like a class action. We have names now and they’re trying to bring more in.

If that's in fact true that the urine test didn't come back until 2 months after... There's more than just KF that should be looked at here. Rob have you done any looking into those reports by Spearman or is this just saying what you hear?

I’m not sure how much time the ICPD takes to get results of tests. Could be a backup.

Spearman said he has a file that shows he was well under the legal limit.

Do I think their could be systematic racism in the iowa football organization - of course, because its everywhere. However, I know quite a few people who have had interactions with Ferentz, including players. Name calling and whatever else just isn't his style. He can be an asshole in his certain way,... but that's not his way. I believe that Spearman was in the entire guilty until proven innocent thing... but that's always a difficult situation. If other players were given the same treatment - regardless of race, then it could be argued to be wrong, but not necessarily racist. But we would would need more information. I do agree that Ferentz never really seemed to like Wadley that much. but concluding it had to do with race is an unfair jump without proper context. The other guys that played in front of Wadley... were all African American.

You have to prove damages. Other than Spearman this group graduated, What are their damages... mental anguish? Just asking

Contrary to opinion winning lawsuits is very difficult. You have to prove it. My guess is KF might more to worry about than the plaintiffs on credibility. Felt the presser last week wasn't near enough.

If Doyle is guilty the head of the ship is culpable.

Many believe KF should be allowed to remain but I'm not one of those. He is overall responsible for the culture of the program, past and present. I could care less if the entire staff was released.

I’m not sure how much time the ICPD takes to get results of tests. Could be a backup.

Spearman said he has a file that shows he was well under the legal limit.
How old was he when it happened? If under 21 any amount is over the legal limit.

if he’s on the “leadership” council I would think he held in a higher regard than most and can see why staff would be disappointed with an arrest for any reason.

Preliminary hearing is 20 days after arrest if not in custody. I find it impossible to believe the state who at this point would’ve offering a plea for case and not have the BAL.

You post this and say it’s about the group/class action yet say you take Spearman for his word. Why can you not follow up with this simple question/simple reporting before you publish and put out his words as facts.

Terrible on all sides to state his story and then say well I’m about this part of the story not so much that part though I printed it all as matter of fact.

Who knows what happened but this one sided he said so I’ll write it as fact and let it all “play out” is the worst w all media. Wish nothing would be written about anyone thats accused.

I know it’s your site and can do as you please but at what point do we not raise questions when provided questionable answers? Just feel both sides should be represented fairly and all this site has been is one way/no fact check/say it I’ll print it for ya reporting.

Can you ask former players why they would repost love and support for Doyle just months ago? Why they continued to support when they felt way they do/why not silent or nothing at all?

Why still come back in off season and train with Doyle and staff? Why did they not warn other recruits on recruiting trips? How many of them did tours with incoming recruits on visits?

What’s wrong with getting clarity and to the bottom of it? Those seem like fair questions/rebuttals to some of the players actions/own actions.

I’d like to know and have tagged you a few times looking for these answers. They seem reasonable and fair questions/rebuttals for what you’ve reported on your site as fact.

You know, at this point, what good is it going to do to point out that the squeaky wheel is the one getting the oil? We now live in a society where an intoxicated black man resists arrest, steals a police officer's taser, runs away and fires the taser back at the face of the police officer, so the police officer shoots him dead, and now the police officer is facing felony murder charges. The liberal ambulance chasing media has fucked the police. They have fucked any white man in an authority and mentor role. And they have fucked white people as a whole.
That is the challenge when any culture succumbs to "One Way Think." Only one voice/narrative is allowed. There is no truthful and honest discussion allowed. Groups of people are convicted of guilt "on the spot."

How old was he when it happened? If under 21 any amount is over the legal limit.

if he’s on the “leadership” council I would think he held in a higher regard than most and can see why staff would be disappointed with an arrest for any reason.

Preliminary hearing is 20 days after arrest if not in custody. I find it impossible to believe the state who at this point would’ve offering a plea for case and not have the BAL.

You post this and say it’s about the group/class action yet say you take Spearman for his word. Why can you not follow up with this simple question/simple reporting before you publish and put out his words as facts.

Terrible on all sides to state his story and then say well I’m about this part of the story not so much that part though I printed it all as matter of fact.

Who knows what happened but this one sided he said so I’ll write it as fact and let it all “play out” is the worst w all media. Wish nothing would be written about anyone thats accused.

I know it’s your site and can do as you please but at what point do we not raise questions when provided questionable answers? Just feel both sides should be represented fairly and all this site has been is one way/no fact check/say it I’ll print it for ya reporting.

Can you ask former players why they would repost love and support for Doyle just months ago? Why they continued to support when they felt way they do/why not silent or nothing at all?

Why still come back in off season and train with Doyle and staff? Why did they not warn other recruits on recruiting trips? How many of them did tours with incoming recruits on visits?

What’s wrong with getting clarity and to the bottom of it? Those seem like fair questions/rebuttals to some of the players actions/own actions.

I’d like to know and have tagged you a few times looking for these answers. They seem reasonable and fair questions/rebuttals for what you’ve reported on your site as fact.

I've not seen your other tags.

I never said or wrote that I take Spearman at his word or that he's stating facts. I transcribed his quotes from his the video posted by the leader of the group. I then asked Iowa for a response, which I was given.

I have reached out to numerous players during this story, including the NFL guys. I don't think you will find interviews with Mike Daniels, James Daniels, Jaleel Johnson, etc, since the story broke. I'm sure I'm not the only media member, local and nationally, asking to speak with them. They are not speaking right now.

KF, BF, Doyle, and Wallace will not be coaching football at the University of Iowa this fall.

BF, Doyle, and Wallace are the no-brainers. Ferentz was way too close with Doyle and Brian to not know what was going on and what was being said, his treatment of players behind closed doors is coming out more and more, and he's playing dumb in his presser and media statements. Playing dumb because he knows that if Doyle is going down, he has to go down as well.

Do I think their could be systematic racism in the iowa football organization - of course, because its everywhere. However, I know quite a few people who have had interactions with Ferentz, including players. Name calling and whatever else just isn't his style. He can be an asshole in his certain way,... but that's not his way. I believe that Spearman was in the entire guilty until proven innocent thing... but that's always a difficult situation. If other players were given the same treatment - regardless of race, then it could be argued to be wrong, but not necessarily racist. But we would would need more information. I do agree that Ferentz never really seemed to like Wadley that much. but concluding it had to do with race is an unfair jump without proper context. The other guys that played in front of Wadley... were all African American.

I agree with everything you are sayings I’m just curious about KF being an “asshole in his own way”

I find that to be an interesting comment. I have no question he can be a demanding hard coach, because you don’t get to his level of success being Santa Claus.

based on first hand info, can you elaborate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts