Facebook -- Coach K

my hope is aiken is the d-coordinator. woods gets the d-line job and ferentz hires himself to be the special teams coach. i think this will be a way for him to connect with his players better.

my hope is aiken is the d-coordinator. woods gets the d-line job and ferentz hires himself to be the special teams coach. i think this will be a way for him to connect with his players better.

Damn, we are on the same page tonight! Pretty much totally agree with you here, too. It'd be really nice to get Aiken back, IMO. He's my #1. I would prefer he coach the D-line though and Woods coach the LB's and let Wilson focus just on special teams because we need a lot of focus there, obviously.

fellas, several assistants coach special teams. one will handle punt return, one punt, etc. This is how most colleges do it. Ferentz spends more time with the OL than other units, which makes sense. Don't get so hung up with who is coaching what. Ferentz took his time putting his staff together when he was hired because he wanted teachers. If you get guys who can teach, they can teach any position. He trusts Levar and knows his leadership skills and ability to communicate with players. He's been sold on his work ethic. He will be great.

Couple quick notes.....

Things rarely are what they appear and no matter how disappointing things seem, usually if we step back and wait, they become a lot clearer.

It is typically the sign of a poor head coach when he has too step back into a spot where he assigned a person already.

As I have often felt, passion and emotion (I exude it and have had to learn to tone it down) has its spots, but not typically in your head man and not constant overt emotion at that.

Finally just because Kaz wore out his welcome didn't make him a bad coach, a bad hire or even a bad person. It just means he wasn't able to learn and his voice quit being heard. Seen it happen often in my profession. That's why that fire stuff so many clamor for doesn't work like it used.

Last edited:

Oh great. So now we'll have to read posts about how Iowa deserves better special teams play since we're paying that coach nearly $4 million a year.

Still find it surprising that he left so abruptly and wont be coaching in the bowl game. Hopefully Woods does a good job filling in.

Jon - I had read the tea leaves this fall regarding RK from you, maybe in your posts, probably around the time Raymond left that you knew/sensed something with him...

I can say walking behind the Iowa bench several times last year while working for the BTN, that some of his 'sessions' with the DL were in the jaw dropping category.

Jaw dropping as in lots of cursing?

Whatever the case for his leaving, his in-your-face style should fit right in with Bo's.

...Pretty telling about Raymon's feelings.

I'm sure it wasn't the only contributing factor to him leaving. BUT, it probably didn't help at all as he went through what he was going through.

Sean Callahan of the Rivals Nebraska site tweeted this, this morning:

"I was told today that Pelini also looked at Kaczenski as a staff possibility a year ago."

That would fall in line with some things I had heard last year related to Coach K's desire to have had more responsibility when Norm was sidelined, and those responsibilities mostly went to Phil Parker and Darrell Wilson.

Still find it surprising that he left so abruptly and wont be coaching in the bowl game. Hopefully Woods does a good job filling in.

How, after reading the previous 3 pages, can you be surprised?

Connect the dots. Coach Kaz's departure is a good thing for the program.

How, after reading the previous 3 pages, can you be surprised?

Connect the dots. Coach Kaz's departure is a good thing for the program.

honestly until this year i personally hadn't seen anything negative, but then again i have no sources. :)

obviously there was some friction though, or hard feelings.

I see zero value in Coach K staying for the bowl game. If he is leaving, he should go. No hard feelings, just doesn't make sense to have him coach the players.

Based on everything I have read within this thread regarding coach K's departure. The old adage "addition by subtraction" would seem to apply.

Oh great. So now we'll have to read posts about how Iowa deserves better special teams play since we're paying that coach nearly $4 million a year.

be honest between the two coaches we have as sp teams coordinators we deserve better special teams. special teams used to be a strength for iowa. outside of guthrie our special teams was not special this year. i am far from the fire kf fans. i think even with a 7-5 record he is the best coach for the iowa job. i know kf works a lot with our ol but i think he comes off as separated from his players and i think that is what happened a little with norm with the health problems and the d faltered the last few years. kf doesnt have the health problems so he needs to fix it. since sp teams is usually young frosh and soph i think it would be a good way to bring it back to where it used to be.

I see zero value in Coach K staying for the bowl game. If he is leaving, he should go. No hard feelings, just doesn't make sense to have him coach the players.

Completely agree.

And with everything coming to light, him not coaching the bowl game even makes the light brighter

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a bad coach. He's a pretty good coach.

But, with the attrition the position has seen.. seems like a change wouldn't hurt.

Beneficial to both parties, it seems.

Latest posts