Fab 5

Might as well put SMU's 81-82 FB season on ESPN as well....focus in on James and Dickerson. Let them tell how they got hosed out a chance for a national championship. Let them tell how good they felt about being part of that program....and how they feel about it now.

Great TV!

Are you really not aware of this?

ESPN 30 for 30

There is a lot of angry, old white guy attitude going on in this thread. This movie was freaking awesome and I loved watching them when I was really young. They were some of my earliest basketball memories.

"The fact is that reality is complicated. Jalen Rose took money from a booster but also happens to be a fascinating guy and a great teammate."

So what. He's a cheater, I don't care if he has a good personality.

I had to turn it when they started crying about how they weren't making any money off the black socks and the t shirts...hello college athletes do get paid by not having to pay their tuition over 4 years of college, thats a nice chunk to not have to pay back in student loans and a lot of these athletes have GPA's under 3, which isn't hard to accomplish, so they should be grateful for a full ride schlorship

I agree that Jalen Rose is a mixed bag. He loves the celebrity aspect of bb,and has been a huge fan of the whole Lebron/Dwade drama and the Heat,making huge claims immediately last summer about how great they would be. While I do not think he is a scumbag,he has always had the entitled attitude that Webber also had.

Howard, who one of my former bosses tried to mentor while in HS, was a gang-banger back in his early days,but I will say he seems to have moved on from that,and has stayed out of trouble.

I felt sorry for Jackson and King,who seemed genuinely hurt about the team accomplishments being scandalized by and individual,who they then turn around and defend. They all do come off as the aggrieved parties,while they broke the rules.

Webber clearly always had his hand out,and was the main culprit.
This is why the NBA new CBA has to allow for kids to go straight to the pros,or commit to college for 3 years,like MLB does. Webber should have gone straight to the pros...and maybe Rose also. They put zero value on education at Michigan,indicated by their ignoring that while complaining about not getting their piece of other revenues.

Taking the money was against the rules. So yes they did violate some rules and the progam was punished accordingly. Nobody is dispuiting that. But did the money they take make them run faster, jump higher, shoot better, play harder defense?

I will be up front I did not see the program. Reading this thread I get feeling the program was very similar to the Miami football one. 1 hour piece trying to justify bad behavior. I ended up gaining a whole lot of respect for Micheal Irvin when he said during the Miami piece 'we were bad boys doing bad things, nothing else'.

Few other things:

Everyone on that team looked up to Jalen.

Chris Webber came from a strong two parent household and went to a private school, so the 'product of your environment' argument does not quite work with Webber.

I was in my twenties during the Fab five era and yes their were a lot of racial undertones, especially compared to Duke.

All that said, other than the Hawks, i loved that fab five team, they ****** people off and didn't care, they were anti-Duke, and they started the trend that got rid of tighty whities.

I disagree with everything you wrote. I particularly disagree with you calling them a flop. 5 freshman came in and played 2 full seasons together, and twice played for a national title. That is extremely hard to do. So they most certainly were not a flop by any definition. Webber, Howard, and Rose all had (Howard still playing) stellar NBA careers. So that comment is just flat wrong. And if you believe Mitch Albom, there was no money that changed hands, at least nothing in large quantities. These guys transformed the game, and changed the culture in the US. If you like it or not doesn't matter. You sound exactly like the people who wrote the threatening letters to the Fab 5 and Michigan.

And they are bigger than the score of the game. He's right, without looking who won the NCAA title 5 years ago? Now name the 5 members of the fab 5, exactly. They have legacy that transcends the score of the game, he's 100% right.

Quick, who won the Oscar for best actress in 2008? Can't name that person? Oh, but you do know who Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton are. So they be more important, I guess. Quick, who won the Olympic Gold Medal for figure skating the year Tanya Harding had what's her name's knee capped? Oh, you just remember Tanya?

You are making an argument about media hype, celebrity, and ESPN running amok. This team was annointed before they even played a game. But when it came to climbing the mountain top the fell short. End of story.

In my opinion, the documentary wasn't about feeling good. It was just an in depth look at one of the most interesting sports stories of the past 20 years. If you want to feel good about it, feel good about it. If you don't then don't. I thought it was interesting.

Might as well put SMU's 81-82 FB season on ESPN as well....focus in on James and Dickerson. Let them tell how they got hosed out a chance for a national championship. Let them tell how good they felt about being part of that program....and how they feel about it now.

Great TV!

I'd watch it.

There is a lot of angry, old white guy attitude going on in this thread. This movie was freaking awesome and I loved watching them when I was really young. They were some of my earliest basketball memories.

I love how everyone that speaks out about the Fab 5 is labeled a racist.

I thought the piece was very well done and very interesting. The biggest thing I took away from it was Jalen Rose is a whiny *****.

Quick, who won the Oscar for best actress in 2008? Can't name that person? Oh, but you do know who Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton are. So they be more important, I guess. Quick, who won the Olympic Gold Medal for figure skating the year Tanya Harding had what's her name's knee capped? Oh, you just remember Tanya?

You are making an argument about media hype, celebrity, and ESPN running amok. This team was annointed before they even played a game. But when it came to climbing the mountain top the fell short. End of story.

So from now on the only sports documentaries made will be about teams that won the championship. Got it. Can't wait for the movie on last year's Duke team and all the adversity they overcame and how they changed the game.

Last edited:
Introducing the Fab 5
They cheated
The end

The docuementary was done very well, very interesting. It is a fricking documentary so I don't get all the hate about it. All documentaries are done in this fashion or no one would watch them.

And the players didn't cheat, so don't hate them for what you think. I disliked them for the way they acted, but the players didn't cheat. The didn't shave points or throw games or take magic pills that made them better. They didn't cheat. The boosters or coaches or schools cheated to make their school better, but the players took money which didn't make them better bball players.

I still dislike them because of their attitudes. Oh yeah, whomever kept saying Weber was a scapegoat, where did the others say that?? He got the most money of all of them and was the only one to lie about it, but your mad that the others pointed it out and not mad that Weber lied to the grand jury and blamed everyone else.

The docuementary was done very well, very interesting. It is a fricking documentary so I don't get all the hate about it. All documentaries are done in this fashion or no one would watch them.

And the players didn't cheat, so don't hate them for what you think. I disliked them for the way they acted, but the players didn't cheat. The didn't shave points or throw games or take magic pills that made them better. They didn't cheat. The boosters or coaches or schools cheated to make their school better, but the players took money which didn't make them better bball players.

I still dislike them because of their attitudes. Oh yeah, whomever kept saying Weber was a scapegoat, where did the others say that?? He got the most money of all of them and was the only one to lie about it, but your mad that the others pointed it out and not mad that Weber lied to the grand jury and blamed everyone else.

No, but it DID make them cheaters.

I didn't originally say that but I thought they (especially Jalen Rose) implied that.

No, but it DID make them cheaters.

Then you better not take a look at Iowa in the 80's. I bet you anything that Raveling was a dirty guy and some of most beloved Hawks of all time were "cheaters" also. Raveling has proved he was dirty and to think that it didn't happen when he was at Iowa would be naive.

Latest posts