Fab 5

HawkPhin

Anyone else excited about The Fab 5 airing tonight on ESPN? Even though its not part of the 30 for 30 series, I have really enjoyed this kind of programming.

Everyone better be watching this. They just showed video of Chris Webber playing when he was probably 11 years old and he must have had two feet on some of his teammates.

That and Russ Millard's name was on the list of top 50 recruits for the year that the Fab 5 came out.

Everyone better be watching this. They just showed video of Chris Webber playing when he was probably 11 years old and he must have had two feet on some of his teammates.

That and Russ Millard's name was on the list of top 50 recruits for the year that the Fab 5 came out.

But Mr. Davis couldn't recruit?!

They definitely aren't holding back, are they? Too bad C-Webb declined to participate, but Jalen Rose calling Laettner a ***** on national TV pretty much makes up for that.

This is a joke. Can't believe all these guys. Jalen, Jimmy, Jackson and Howard, You all took money! Don't put this all on Chris. These guys just have no freaking conscience.

And guess what? You don't have a ring!

Jalen says he is bigger than the score of the game. Just like he props up Miami. The beauty of stuck up children who didn't win a thing, but act like they did. This is more of a symbol of what is wrong with this country than anything else.

Little boys walking around with puffed up chests and the media that continues to hype them no matter what they fail to accomplish.

Here's to the Flop Five.

This is a joke. Can't believe all these guys. Jalen, Jimmy, Jackson and Howard, You all took money! Don't put this all on Chris. These guys just have no freaking conscience.

Jalen says he is bigger than the score of the game. Just like he props up Miami. The beauty of stuck up children who didn't win a thing, but act like they did. This is more of a symbol of what is wrong with this country than anything else.

Little boys walking around with puffed up chests and the media that continues to hype them no matter what they fail to accomplish.

Here's to the Flop Five.

I disagree. None of these guys have gotten into trouble. They all seem to be decent citizens. Ray Jackson runs a non-profit.

The fact that poor black kids took free money when handed to them shouldn't surprise anyone. Steve Fisher and Ed Martin should take the blame.

Also, before we start pointing too many fingers. Ed Martin had complimentary tickets to Hawkeye games in the 80's. He and Raveling were close. I was too young, but when people clamor about the glory days I wonder how clean some of the recruiting was.

That is exactly the mind set that keeps people stuck in the amazing denial these guys are in. You say we all took money. There is nothing magical about our class. We went to the highest bidder and we are all equally responsible.

Also, we never accomplished a thing.

Here's to the Flop Five.

Rose, Webber and Howard have played 45 NBA seasons combined, and C-Webb is probably on his way to the Hall of Fame. They played in two national championship finals in two years. Juwan Howard in particular is one of the class acts in the history of the NBA.

There are some things that we'll never know for sure, especially regarding Webber, but do you really think anything was going on during those two years that wasn't going on at every other program in the country? If that booster hadn't been busted in a gambling probe, those banners would still be hanging in Chrisler. I'm not saying that makes it right, but I think it's unwise to hyperventilate about it. The videos of Jalen Rose driving that car and Webber bowling are pretty telling. Wow, what a sweet life! If these guys figured out a way to hide 150K of spare cash in Ann Arbor, than they should have gone to Wall Street instead of the NBA.

I said the same thing in the OSU thread a few days ago.

Winning brings attention, good & bad. The NCAA and or the Feds can find dirt on every major program. Including our own.

These guys talked a lot of trash and Rose even admitted to taking money. College athletes full of themselves and taking money are as common as leaves on trees.

From all accounts these guys appear to be good people. Rose, King, & Jackson all are directly involved with helping kids in one way or another. Rose & Webber are two of the most engaging and funny commentators on TV.

I think people ate taking my comments wrong. I am not amazed they too money. That is well documented. I am amazed at the way they all seem to have chosen to somehow scapegoat Webber.

I also was surprised at Rose's comment about nobody knowing who won the NCAA championship three years ago, like somehow what they accomplished was more important.

No wonder Rose was so upset at the criticism the Heat have been getting. Clearly he thinks celebrity is more important than winning. People cNnmake themselves believe anything.

And yes, they were pumped up children.

They cheated. Bottom line. Lost their titles. Lost their banners.

No way they should put this stuff on TV for a "feel good" moment.

Stupid.

Here's to the Flop Five.

I disagree with everything you wrote. I particularly disagree with you calling them a flop. 5 freshman came in and played 2 full seasons together, and twice played for a national title. That is extremely hard to do. So they most certainly were not a flop by any definition. Webber, Howard, and Rose all had (Howard still playing) stellar NBA careers. So that comment is just flat wrong. And if you believe Mitch Albom, there was no money that changed hands, at least nothing in large quantities. These guys transformed the game, and changed the culture in the US. If you like it or not doesn't matter. You sound exactly like the people who wrote the threatening letters to the Fab 5 and Michigan.

And they are bigger than the score of the game. He's right, without looking who won the NCAA title 5 years ago? Now name the 5 members of the fab 5, exactly. They have legacy that transcends the score of the game, he's 100% right.

I disagree with everything you wrote. I particularly disagree with you calling them a flop. 5 freshman came in and played 2 full seasons together, and twice played for a national title. That is extremely hard to do. So they most certainly were not a flop by any definition. Webber, Howard, and Rose all had (Howard still playing) stellar NBA careers. So that comment is just flat wrong. And if you believe Mitch Albom, there was no money that changed hands, at least nothing in large quantities. These guys transformed the game, and changed the culture in the US. If you like it or not doesn't matter. You sound exactly like the people who wrote the threatening letters to the Fab 5 and Michigan.

And they are bigger than the score of the game. He's right, without looking who won the NCAA title 5 years ago? Now name the 5 members of the fab 5, exactly. They have legacy that transcends the score of the game, he's 100% right.

BUT, THEY CHEATED. Good God man. Do you not understand college athletics? See SDK's comments. Who frickin' cares what they did. They cheated, and they STILL didn't win a title. Why the hell is this on the air? They brought Michigan basketball to it's knees. Destroyed it for a decade. And you defend this? Get a clue.

Might as well put SMU's 81-82 FB season on ESPN as well....focus in on James and Dickerson. Let them tell how they got hosed out a chance for a national championship. Let them tell how good they felt about being part of that program....and how they feel about it now.

Great TV!

BUT, THEY CHEATED. Good God man. Do you not understand college athletics? See SDK's comments. Who frickin' cares what they did. They cheated, and they STILL didn't win a title. Why the hell is this on the air? They brought Michigan basketball to it's knees. Destroyed it for a decade. And you defend this? Get a clue.

It's a documentary that showed what happened in a pretty unflinching light. The filmmakers didn't gloss over any of the charges; Jalen Rose even admits taking money directly to the documentary crew. C-Webb was "scapgoated" because he was the only guy who lied about it (to a grand jury, no less). The players themselves are pretty ****** that the banners were taken down, but you don't hear any of the other people in the movie questioning the decision or denying that Michigan hadn't properly monitored its own program.

The fact is that reality is complicated. Jalen Rose took money from a booster but also happens to be a fascinating guy and a great teammate. The team used to get racially motivated death threats from their own "fans" even as their jerseys were selling at $75/pop. Juwan Howard came out of one of the toughest neighborhoods in the country and went on to be not just a great NBA player but a bona fide humanitarian. The team never won a conference or national title, but they had an undeniable effect on the way the game was packaged and sold.

I found the whole thing fascinating. If you like sports I don't see why you wouldn't want to hear some great college stars talking about the way things really were rather than the politically correct BS you hear in press conferences. (Wasn't it funny how their reactions to the Duke players are similar to the thread on HN right now?) Enjoying the doc doesn't mean you love those guys or think they got screwed (I certainly don't)-- you're free to make of it what you will. I just don't see how college basketball fans wouldn't find it interesting.

Latest posts