F*CK you Best Buy

No, sorry, I've used TT to my advantage. I most likely won't be renewing now that I've had them do what I need. It's naive to broad-brush everyone with the same "it's a scam" mentality.

I'm decent at a good number of things but drilling holes and mounting brackets into walls, mounting TVs and soundbars so it looked professional and such...not so much. We used TT to complete four major installs (we have AriBnb rooms), including three surround sound systems, making sure all internet connectivity worked and an outdoor camera system project/install. This went far beyound taking a TV out of a box and sitting it on a stand.

I have a bit more money than time, so for all the above-mentioned expertise, it was worth it to me.

Being screwed around aside, my local auto audio guy wanted $700+ to do the install that BB will do at no charge since I'm a TT member. Again, yes, I spent time already, but I decided to use the TT advantage for the free auto audio install. And I got a discount on the hardware (yes, I did my on-line price research).

I'm not an idiot with my discretionary income. I read, do research, talk to other people, etc. I found, in my case, the BB TT pro's outweighed the con's. For now. But most likely not in the future.

Same mentality as why I pay the yearly Amazon Prime fee. Reduced prices, unlimited music, streaming movies, easy returns, etc. I've weighed the pro's and con's and the pro's win this time around too and it works for us. I deplore store shopping for the most part and do all my grocery and 90% of my dry good shopping on line so fast at-home delivery fits our busy lifestyle.

Last edited:
No, sorry, I've used TT to my advantage. I most likely won't be renewing now that I've had them do what I need. It's naive to broad-brush everyone with the same "it's a scam" mentality.

I'm decent at a good number of things but drilling holes and mounting brackets into walls, mounting TVs and soundbars so it look professional and such...not so much. We used TT to complete four major installs (we have AriBnb rooms), including three surround sound systems, making sure all internet connectivity worked and an outdoor camera install. This went far beyound taking a TV out of a box and sitting it on a stand.

I have a bit more money than time, so it's worth it to me.

Being screwed around aside, my local auto audio guy wanted $700 to do the install that BB will do at no charge since I'm a TT member. Again, yes, I spent time already, but I decided to use the TT advantage for the free auto audio install. And I got a discount on the hardware (yes, I did my on-line price research).

I'm not an idiot with my discretionary income. I read, do research, talk to other people, etc. I found, in my case, the BB TT pro's outweighed the con's. For now. But most likely not in the future.

Same mentality as why I pay the yearly Amazon Prime fee. Reduced prices, unlimited music, streaming movies, etc. I've weighed the pro's and con's and the pro's win this time around too and it works for us. I deplore store shopping for the most part and do all my grocery and 90% of my dry good shopping on line so fast at-home delivery fits our busy lifestyle.

Amazon is a good deal in the long run

Prime Video is as good as the other streaming services, or close enough

The free delivery, and no problem to return is a huge bonus

Delivery in 2 days, and sometimes one day since they built that huge facility South of Ankeny

Besides that, I have Alexa for company

Any notifications, Alexa...?

You have one new notification, Jack

What is it, Alex

You have a $3 waffle weave dish towel coming today

Damn

Prime Video is as good as the other streaming services, or close enough

The free delivery, and no problem to return is a huge bonus

Delivery in 2 days, and sometimes one day since they built that huge facility South of Ankeny

Besides that, I have Alexa for company

Any notifications, Alexa...?

You have one new notification, Jack

What is it, Alex

You have a $3 waffle weave dish towel coming today

Damn
They built a huge facility north of I-80 right outside of Davenport. I have received items in one day as well.

There's a lot of "join our membership for better deals" emails and texts I get which I ignore (Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, McD's, Costco, etc). Some cost membership dues, some don't. It's just too complicated to me to try to keep track of it all, so I've chosen to simplify. BBTT and Amazon Prime are my two I participate in for now with dues. I am a Rewards Member with both KwikStar and Casey's both of which I use extensively...easy even for me...simply punch in your phone #.

Last edited:
They built a huge facility north of I-80 right outside of Davenport. I have received items in one day as well.

There's a lot of "join our membership for better deals" emails and texts I get which I ignore (Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, McD's, Costco, etc). Some cost membership dues, some don't. It's just too complicated to me to try to keep track of it all, so I've chosen to simplify. BBTT and Amazon Prime are my two I participate in for now with dues. I am a Rewards Member with both KwikStar and Casey's both of which I use extensively...easy even for me...simply punch in your phone #.

Ordering online from Walmart is surprisingly good

Competitive prices and free ONE-DAY delivery

I try to stay out of the stores however

No, no it isn't. In the long run Amazon will use its massive logistics network and lower cost structure to run virtually every competitor out of its markets. It will then leverage its market power to skullfvck people. It will be more powerful than the government with no checks on its power. "Oh, sorry Duke, your antiquated notion that there are only two genders means you have been frozen out of the Amazon ecosystem. Enjoy your starvation. Bigot."

I used to HATE Best Buy, but honestly, I've bought my last 3 TVs, 2 computer monitors, and a new car stereo for my son's 2009 VW, and haven't had a single problem. I checked prices between BB, Amazon, and Costco, and generally BB and Costco were identical, and Amazon was $2 cheaper. I'll pay the extra $2 to ensure that I can just drive it a few miles back to the store if it breaks, rather than keeping the original packaging and trying to ship it back to Amazon. If it was a double-digit % difference in price, I might feel differently.

I used to HATE Best Buy, but honestly, I've bought my last 3 TVs, 2 computer monitors, and a new car stereo for my son's 2009 VW, and haven't had a single problem. I checked prices between BB, Amazon, and Costco, and generally BB and Costco were identical, and Amazon was $2 cheaper. I'll pay the extra $2 to ensure that I can just drive it a few miles back to the store if it breaks, rather than keeping the original packaging and trying to ship it back to Amazon. If it was a double-digit % difference in price, I might feel differently.
And hey...if you're a Total tech member you can get all of it installed for free. Unless you're being foolish with your money that is. ;)

I'm decent at a good number of things but drilling holes and mounting brackets into walls, mounting TVs and soundbars so it looked professional and such...not so much. We used TT to complete four major installs (we have AriBnb rooms), including three surround sound systems, making sure all internet connectivity worked and an outdoor camera system project/install. This went far beyound taking a TV out of a box and sitting it on a stand.

I have a bit more money than time, so for all the above-mentioned expertise, it was worth it to me.

Being screwed around aside, my local auto audio guy wanted $700+ to do the install that BB will do at no charge since I'm a TT member. Again, yes, I spent time already, but I decided to use the TT advantage for the free auto audio install. And I got a discount on the hardware (yes, I did my on-line price research).

Same mentality as why I pay the yearly Amazon Prime fee. Reduced prices, unlimited music, streaming movies, easy returns, etc. I've weighed the pro's and con's and the pro's win this time around too and it works for us. I deplore store shopping for the most part and do all my grocery and 90% of my dry good shopping on line so fast at-home delivery fits our busy lifestyle.

With how much you are on HN and post on here, you're not that damn busy!!

Just kidding.

So, what you are measuring is if the $250 TT is worth it. Say you put that $250 towards the $700 the local audio guy wants. You are left weighing if the $450 balance to the local audio guy is going to be worth it for the better quality control and customer service. I think in a case with having adequate $$$, if might be worth it as BB seems to be a headache and a half and has been in the past. Also, you are supporting a small business who prob can't absorb the overhead as well as a large corporation.

Latest posts