Expectations, concerns, for 23-24 Men's Team

Gander Hawk

So, the media picked Iowa as the #9 in the BiG. I expect them to finish in the top half of the league and to make either the NCAA or NIT tourney, hopefully the former. As usual they should be an entertaining team to watch and should be more up and down than ever as they'll have to count on some untested players. Defensively they could be much improved with the addition of some front court players who have some size and willingness to bang inside. Admittedly some improvement on defense isn't saying a lot.
My biggest concern is outside shooting and perimeter defense. Sandford is the only proven outside shooter on the team and he started out really slow last year. I'm excited to see how Bowen and Dix have progressed. Dix may be the outside shooting answer after an extra year to recover from his badly broken leg in high school. Bowen has the early season to prove himself or he may get passed over for playing time. Thoughts anyone?

9th sounds about right... I'm not expecting a tourny bid this yr. The PG position is a big question mark I think. And hopefully Krikke can fill in for Rebraca but besides him the front court will be full of more question marks.

I'm not putting much stock in PM. Anything he does is a bonus. The kids game is too erratic when he is on the floor and with everything he's got going on it's hard to count on him being out there every night. If he proves me wrong then great.

What's the starting lineup going to be? TP, Dix, PM, Sandfort and Krikke is my guess. Maybe Bowen and Dix fight for those mins. But that's kind of a small lineup that's not all that athletic. TP will be asked to do the heavy lifting but is he up for it? It seems like one of the more underwhelming lineups we've put out there in awhile so I could see them struggling this yr

9th sounds about right... I'm not expecting a tourny bid this yr. The PG position is a big question mark I think. And hopefully Krikke can fill in for Rebraca but besides him the front court will be full of more question marks.

I'm not putting much stock in PM. Anything he does is a bonus. The kids game is too erratic when he is on the floor and with everything he's got going on it's hard to count on him being out there every night. If he proves me wrong then great.

What's the starting lineup going to be? TP, Dix, PM, Sandfort and Krikke is my guess. Maybe Bowen and Dix fight for those mins. But that's kind of a small lineup that's not all that athletic. TP will be asked to do the heavy lifting but is he up for it? It seems like one of the more underwhelming lineups we've put out there in awhile so I could see them struggling this yr
They're short of proven players but they have a lot of quality depth they can run out there. I like all of the freshmen additions. I know some people don't like large rotations but I'm not one of them.

They're short of proven players but they have a lot of quality depth they can run out there. I like all of the freshmen additions. I know some people don't like large rotations but I'm not one of them.
The quality of that depth remains to be seen. I think Freeman and Harding are future building blocks but how much are they going to be counted on this yr? Sandforts brother is a string bean that hasn't been in a weight room before. I'm sure he can shoot but the BIG will push him around quite a bit.

The guy I was hoping would develop and get some more floor time is Kingsbury. He's a put together kid and I'm pretty sure he can shoot. Who cares if he is a defensive liability and I don't think we even know if he is one. But if he can provide a physical presence and shoot from the 2 spot give him some mins to find out.

Defense
Rebounding

If they want to see the post season those 2 categories have to improve from last year.

Pmac
Payton Sandfort
Perk

At least 2 of the 3 have to show up every night in order for them to win. All 3 have had long stretches 2,3,4,5 games where they are non-existent. That can't happen this year if this team is going to have success.

9th in the B1G feels about right to me. 8-10 makes them a fringe tournament team. Until we can see what the moving parts can and can't do...being a bubble team is probably the highest we should expect.

Last edited:
Defense
Rebounding

If they want to see post season those 2 categories have to improve from last year.

Pmac
Payton Sandfort
Perk

At least 2 of the 3 have to show up every night in order for them to win. All 3 have had long stretches 2,3,4,5 games where they are non-existent. That can't happen this year if this team is going to have success.

9th in the B1G feels about right to me. 8-10 makes them a fringe tournament team. Until we can see what the moving parts can and can't do...being a bubble team is probably the highest we should expect.
I think Iowa has a lot more depth in the post THIS year vs last year. While we might not have anyone player as good as Rebraca, I feel like we have WAY more depth in the post to throw at people this season. I'll go on a limb and say rebounding and defense are better this year but we also don't have an alpha scoring threat like we've been accustomed to for the last several seasons in the post.

Count me in as concerned. Fran kinda went "all in" on last year, shortened the bench, then went completely belly up in March.

Kris, Connor and Rebraca are all going to be tremendous losses. Perkins is probably going to start the year at the point, which isn't his strongest position, because Bowen isn’t ready. Bowen, Dix and Mulvey were left rotting on the bench down the stretch as Fran cut the rotation to seven players and whoever wins the post position is going to have to learn on the job. I think Peyton is going to be a marked man this year because teams don't have to focus on Kris anymore.

Gonna miss Kris's points and rebounding, Connors leadership and assists and Rebraca/TheSerbianSoulTrain's toughness and attitude

The season depends on Sandfort being better, Perkins being dependable every/most games and
Patrick adjusting to a starting role as a key veteran, and staying injury free

Dix is a plus factor and I do believe he will rise to the occasion, he plays solid D and has a deadly shot which should improve this season. He is a savvy player

The incoming Bigs are veterans and should be able to step into the program, hopefully quickly

I am excited by the incoming players, lots of talent incoming, Harding and Freeman, and Pryce should be contributing as we enter the BIG season and Ladji, I think will surprise everybody

The season probably depends on the freshmen and transfers being able to contribute quickly

We will probably be a middle level team in the Big, with a slender chance to sneak into The Dance,
but the NIT looms large

Count me in as concerned. Fran kinda went "all in" on last year, shortened the bench, then went completely belly up in March.

Kris, Connor and Rebraca are all going to be tremendous losses. Perkins is probably going to start the year at the point, which isn't his strongest position, because Bowen isn’t ready. Bowen, Dix and Mulvey were left rotting on the bench down the stretch as Fran cut the rotation to seven players and whoever wins the post position is going to have to learn on the job. I think Peyton is going to be a marked man this year because teams don't have to focus on Kris anymore.

In your opinion, what will be Beth Goetz first hire? Fran’s replacement or Kirk’s? I go back and forth, but I lean Fran.

I think Iowa has a lot more depth in the post THIS year vs last year. While we might not have anyone player as good as Rebraca, I feel like we have WAY more depth in the post to throw at people this season. I'll go on a limb and say rebounding and defense are better this year but we also don't have an alpha scoring threat like we've been accustomed to for the last several seasons in the post.

From what I am hearing, it sounds like Freeman is the only frontcourt guy willing to do the dirty work. To get where we want this team to go, they need another big guy willing to grind like that. I think Mulvey can be that guy, I am just not putting all my stock into him, tho.

Ding ding totally agree... I don't think anyone else is worthy of being game planned around besides Perkins. If Sandfort is off with his shot this yr I see little chance of success for this team. We've been spoiled rotten with the Murrays Garza and Joe W recently. Sandforts game is a perfect compliment to having a Murray alongside him. Without I'm not so sure. Can he create his own shot?

I think we'll feel Connors loss big time as well as he just set up everything out there. He personified what a coaches kid and playing like a coach on the floor looked like. His brother is dang near the opposite of that. He plays reckless and pretty willy nilly out there. Tough to know how much they can count on him

In your opinion, what will be Beth Goetz first hire? Fran’s replacement or Kirk’s? I go back and forth, but I lean Fran.
Great question... I forget how long Frans contract goes not that it matters all that much. With how long he's been here and this being his kids last yr and his youngest already announcing he's not coming all signs point to this could be it for him. KF retiring wouldn't surprise me either with how things are and will about to become in the near future.

Sure would be something if an interim AD has to make two huge hires like that right out of the gate...

I don't see that unless Fran wants to go. He's recruiting well and has his team in the top half of the league consistently. The NCAA tourney is a crap shoot, I believe he's due for a run while at Iowa.

Fran is here for a good long time. KF is here for a good long time.
I am not arguing that this is good or bad. It is reality.

From what I am hearing, it sounds like Freeman is the only frontcourt guy willing to do the dirty work. To get where we want this team to go, they need another big guy willing to grind like that. I think Mulvey can be that guy, I am just not putting all my stock into him, tho.
Early on they were saying Dembele was impressing in practice with his rebounding. He missed a good share of the European trip due to visa issues unfortunately. Even Braun is supposed to be pretty physical as well and a good athlete, maybe not as skilled offensively as you could hope for maybe.

Fran is here for a good long time. KF is here for a good long time.
I am not arguing that this is good or bad. It is reality.
I just have a tough time thinking that the same man that got to coach his 2 older boys throughout college is going to want to have to watch all of his youngests games on TV. Maybe he doesn't leave right after this yr but at some point during Jacks career wherever he ends up going Fran will want to have the free time to go watch him. Be it his 2nd or 3rd yr (when he'll probably be really really good. I'm guessing within 3 yrs and less wouldn't surprise me Goetz will be making new hires for both mens hoops and football. Maybe even womens hoops too (Bluder isn't a spring chicken either)

In Frans case I could see him taking a gap yr or 2 and not just flat out retire. He could easily get back into the game in a couple yrs or so if he wanted to do exactly that. Not sure how high level of a job but the guy can coach. He'd only be unemployed if he wants to be. That said maybe after doing that he may call that good and retire hard to say. That former Villanova coach hasn't gotten back in and I'd have lost a bet on that. So who knows

Last edited:
I just have a tough time thinking that the same man that got to coach his 2 older boys throughout college is going to want to have to watch all of his youngests games on TV. Maybe he doesn't leave right after this yr but at some point during Jacks career wherever he ends up going Fran will want to have the free time to go watch him. Be it his 2nd or 3rd yr (when he'll probably be really really good. I'm guessing within 3 yrs and less wouldn't surprise me Goetz will be making new hires for both mens hoops and football. Maybe even womens hoops too (Bluder isn't a spring chicken either)
Jack could be coming here still, I won't believe that until he signs somewhere else. I think that was a knee jerk reaction to the accident and the fact that he didn't like how Conner and Patrick were recruited. If Jack doesn't become a Hawkeye, then I am with you, I can't see dad not going to those games but imagine how much HS ball he's missed of his kids over the year? Probably most of them. I think they undestand what their dad does for a living. They got money and Margaret can travel, but I do think that is an interesting dichotomy and if Jack aint here I can't really see Fran here either.

I love how everyone is sleeping on Desonte Bowen this year. Dude is going to be a beast. I've heard that some people think Dix will be the starting PG to start the year. I've heard people that think that Perkins is going to be the starting PG to start the year. IMO, it's Bowen, it was always going to be Bowen and he will be hard to move out of the spot kind of like Ulis was last season. I just think Bowen has way more of an offensive game and is quick enough to guard too.

A few things in the post I think a lot are sleeping on. I don't think Mulvey is going to be a high minutes guy, but I think he will be an energy guy who can come in and play spot minutes. I would not be shocked to see Riley play well.

Evan Braun - was he brought here to just be a walk on with the grey team or will he play? I think he could play. I think he's in the plans.

What if Krikke is better than advertised? I don't know if he can be 12+ point a game guy right off the bat but if he is, that's twice as good as Rebraca was his first year.

Some question marks heading into the year, but I like Perk to be All Conference 1st or 2nd team, I think Patrick and Peyton are very underrated as well coming into the year.

Or.....this could be Fran's last year and he knows it and the bottom falls out and it's not a great year. I could see that happening as well, I just hope it doesnt.

Latest posts