Expectations, concerns, for 23-24 Men's Team

Jack could be coming here still, I won't believe that until he signs somewhere else. I think that was a knee jerk reaction to the accident and the fact that he didn't like how Conner and Patrick were recruited. If Jack doesn't become a Hawkeye, then I am with you, I can't see dad not going to those games but imagine how much HS ball he's missed of his kids over the year? Probably most of them. I think they undestand what their dad does for a living. They got money and Margaret can travel, but I do think that is an interesting dichotomy and if Jack aint here I can't really see Fran here either.
Not sure what's true and what's not with Jack. I just seem to remember back when it came out that he wasn't going to be coming to Iowa that they'd been sitting on that for awhile. Patrick pretty much eluded to it on his pod that that was the case. But heck if I know when that was decided or how nailed into it he is. Kids change their minds about what shoes they wanna wear every day so I could see him go back and forth on this too. He doesn't have to decide tomorrow.

I love how everyone is sleeping on Desonte Bowen this year. Dude is going to be a beast. I've heard that some people think Dix will be the starting PG to start the year. I've heard people that think that Perkins is going to be the starting PG to start the year. IMO, it's Bowen, it was always going to be Bowen and he will be hard to move out of the spot kind of like Ulis was last season. I just think Bowen has way more of an offensive game and is quick enough to guard too.

A few things in the post I think a lot are sleeping on. I don't think Mulvey is going to be a high minutes guy, but I think he will be an energy guy who can come in and play spot minutes. I would not be shocked to see Riley play well.

Evan Braun - was he brought here to just be a walk on with the grey team or will he play? I think he could play. I think he's in the plans.

What if Krikke is better than advertised? I don't know if he can be 12+ point a game guy right off the bat but if he is, that's twice as good as Rebraca was his first year.

Some question marks heading into the year, but I like Perk to be All Conference 1st or 2nd team, I think Patrick and Peyton are very underrated as well coming into the year.

Or.....this could be Fran's last year and he knows it and the bottom falls out and it's not a great year. I could see that happening as well, I just hope it doesnt.
Hope you're right about Bowen. He was hyped up and recruited in to be exactly that. Fran has been searching for that 2 way all purpose PG that can both shoot inside and out. Beat his guy off the dribble and both create for others and score. Plus defend. He's had a yr to put some weight on (he could even use some more) He'll be given every opportunity to be the man at PG and we'll know early on with how Fran distributes the mins how it'll go.

I love how everyone is sleeping on Desonte Bowen this year. Dude is going to be a beast. I've heard that some people think Dix will be the starting PG to start the year. I've heard people that think that Perkins is going to be the starting PG to start the year. IMO, it's Bowen, it was always going to be Bowen and he will be hard to move out of the spot kind of like Ulis was last season. I just think Bowen has way more of an offensive game and is quick enough to guard too.

A few things in the post I think a lot are sleeping on. I don't think Mulvey is going to be a high minutes guy, but I think he will be an energy guy who can come in and play spot minutes. I would not be shocked to see Riley play well.

Evan Braun - was he brought here to just be a walk on with the grey team or will he play? I think he could play. I think he's in the plans.

What if Krikke is better than advertised? I don't know if he can be 12+ point a game guy right off the bat but if he is, that's twice as good as Rebraca was his first year.

Some question marks heading into the year, but I like Perk to be All Conference 1st or 2nd team, I think Patrick and Peyton are very underrated as well coming into the year.

Or.....this could be Fran's last year and he knows it and the bottom falls out and it's not a great year. I could see that happening as well, I just hope it doesnt.

I am not as high on Bowen as you are, but I do like that he decided to come back for another year despite the lack of playing time. First it shows, he and Fran have a pretty good relationship, secondly, it shows what type of mentality this young man has, he wants to compete. Is that enough to overtake Dix, Perk or Harding, where he is running the point 30+ minutes a game? I doubt it, but he can become a valuable contributor.

Ding ding totally agree... I don't think anyone else is worthy of being game planned around besides Perkins. If Sandfort is off with his shot this yr I see little chance of success for this team. We've been spoiled rotten with the Murrays Garza and Joe W recently. Sandforts game is a perfect compliment to having a Murray alongside him. Without I'm not so sure. Can he create his own shot?

I think we'll feel Connors loss big time as well as he just set up everything out there. He personified what a coaches kid and playing like a coach on the floor looked like. His brother is dang near the opposite of that. He plays reckless and pretty willy nilly out there. Tough to know how much they can count on him
Connor made so many little plays that made all the difference. He know how to load a shooter by passing it in a spot where the receiver could get into his shooting motion without wasted movement. He was an amazing post feeder, again putting the ball where the receiver could go right up with it without having to reach or mess up his footwork. He hit big free throws, was an amazing outlet passer. Hit some clutch shots in the unforgettable Michigan State comeback. He will be missed.

Hope you're right about Bowen. He was hyped up and recruited in to be exactly that. Fran has been searching for that 2 way all purpose PG that can both shoot inside and out. Beat his guy off the dribble and both create for others and score. Plus defend. He's had a yr to put some weight on (he could even use some more) He'll be given every opportunity to be the man at PG and we'll know early on with how Fran distributes the mins how it'll go.
Fran was also skeptical enough to recruit another PG in the next class...

If Fran had a crystal ball and knew Ulis would transfer I wonder how many of those minutes he would have given to Bowen.

If Fran had a crystal ball and knew Ulis would transfer I wonder how many of those minutes he would have given to Bowen.
I'm not so sure a lack of confidence in Bowen has anything to do with that... Maybe but to me Harding was a talented kid from just across the river that IL didn't want. He has an instant chip on his shoulder he'll be playing with and unless Iowa had like 2 other young stud PGs I bet they'd have offered him too.

Yeah and if he'd have known that Ulis would be so dang invisible out there most of the time as well. Fran shoulda pushed him out before last yr he just isn't a D1 PG. Bowen was 10 plus lbs lighter last yr and yeah getting a longer look at him woulda been nice. But he needed that yr to develop his body and learn. I'm not predicting huge things from Bowen right away this yr. But he'll have opportunities now and here's to hoping

Ding ding totally agree... I don't think anyone else is worthy of being game planned around besides Perkins. If Sandfort is off with his shot this yr I see little chance of success for this team. We've been spoiled rotten with the Murrays Garza and Joe W recently. Sandforts game is a perfect compliment to having a Murray alongside him. Without I'm not so sure. Can he create his own shot?

I think we'll feel Connors loss big time as well as he just set up everything out there. He personified what a coaches kid and playing like a coach on the floor looked like. His brother is dang near the opposite of that. He plays reckless and pretty willy nilly out there. Tough to know how much they can count on him

If Patrick settles down and plays to his potential which we have all seen, that will take some attention away
from Peyton

Patrick and Sandfort have to be guarded closely because of thier Three Threat

If TonyP plays as he is capable of, on a consistent basis, he will also demand attention

We need another threat to take in inside on the run in traffic like Perkins

Josh Dix is the player we need to step up, if he starts nailing threes like last season and he shoots
without hesitatin, that will be a Huge Factor

A lot depends on the lads ,having learned from actual game experience, and continue to improve

When Bowen, Freeman, Pryce and Ladji start to contribute and are effective off the bench we will be
a dangerous team, and will accomplich a few upsets

Can't wait for the season to start

:cool:

Last edited:

Bowen is overlooked and almost forgotten, he had a tough year and showed his potential some of the
time and he could break out this year

He can get the ball downcourt very quick and might need to make better decisions on the run, but he
definitely has the potential. We will need him to step up, he could be the starting point guard, TonyP
isn't exactly a point guard

Bowen is Very Quick which will be a factor

Fran has a solid bench which with a little seasoning will produce very well

We shall see quite soon

If Patrick settles down and plays to his potential which we have all see, that will take some attention away
from Peyton

If TonyP plays as he is capable of, on a consistent basis, he will also demand attention

Josh Dix is the player we need to step up, if he starts nailing threes like last season and he shoots

A lot depends on the lads ,having learned from actual game experience, and continue to improve

When Bowen, Freeman, Pryce and Ladji start to contribute and are effective off the bench we will be

Josh=diamond in the rough.

If Patrick settles down and plays to his potential which we have all see, that will take some attention away
from Peyton

My season ticket is locked in and ready for occupancy!

I wonder if Ulis left due to the gambling issue, they still haven't decided the penalty for that ill thought out rule.

I wouldn't count on him doing anything. He has had his chance. He couldn't beat out a terrible point last year. I'm betting on PG by committee unless the freshman from Illinois takes the job and runs with it.

I wouldn't count on him doing anything. He has had his chance. He couldn't beat out a terrible point last year. I'm betting on PG by committee unless the freshman from Illinois takes the job and runs with it.
Could be a three or even four headed monster. Some noise on these boards that Josh Dix is in the mix getting some reps.

There will be no Connor to settle things down and keep the ball safe this year, or get the ball where it's supposed to go. If the ball is turned over too many times Fran will pull the point guard.

Could be a three or even four headed monster. Some noise on these boards that Josh Dix is in the mix getting some reps.

There will be no Connor to settle things down and keep the ball safe this year, or get the ball where it's supposed to go. If the ball is turned over too many times Fran will pull the point guard.

Bowen
Perk
Harding
Dix

All will likely get minutes at the point and it should shake itself out by late December or early January. Set aside Perk for a moment. When he is "feeling it" you want to spread the floor and let him go to work. However, we know he is not a full-time point guard and his minutes at the point will be dictated by the opponent. So this really comes down to Bowen,Harding and Dix. From what I am reading, Fran values shooting so Dix has a leg up on the other two.

19-12(11-9)

That is Kakert's prediction. Sign me up for that right now, sight unseen.

That would be a typical Iowa 7-9 seed in the tournament. As I have stated many times before, they will get to the second weekend when we least expect it.

Bowen
Perk
Harding
Dix

All will likely get minutes at the point and it should shake itself out by late December or early January. Set aside Perk for a moment. When he is "feeling it" you want to spread the floor and let him go to work. However, we know he is not a full-time point guard and his minutes at the point will be dictated by the opponent. So this really comes down to Bowen,Harding and Dix. From what I am reading, Fran values shooting so Dix has a leg up on the other two.
Perk has stretches where he absolutely lives at the free throw line. But the thought of him defending jet quick point guards....?

Whoever protects the ball will get the minutes. Late December/Early January is a reasonable window to figure out who will take the bull by the horns.

I don’t know what to expect this year with this team. I think Freeman and Harding are going to be better than what most people think they are.

Perk has stretches where he absolutely lives at the free throw line. But the thought of him defending jet quick point guards....?

Whoever protects the ball will get the minutes. Late December/Early January is a reasonable window to figure out who will take the bull by the horns.

Remember two years ago when they won the BTT title, the second half of the season, for long stretches, it was Perk at the point and JBo coming off screens at the 2. Granted, late in games, if the game was tight, Conner had the ball and he was basically the point guard or point forward.

Fran wants to outscore people, so if Perk is getting buckets as the lead guard, he would be willing to sacrifice some on the defensive end. If you listen or read other people, the big reason why they say Dix has the upper hand is that he is a good shooter.

Btw, Dix’s handle is underrated. Can he get into the lane and beat people off the dribble? No. Can he protect the basketball and create space to get his 3 off? Absolutely.

Latest posts