Expectations, concerns, for 23-24 Men's Team

Iowa basketball really gets no respect from the national media. Weren't we picked 7-9 last season. While this is the first time in 5 seasons that we have more questions going in than answers, there is no reason to assume the answers will all be negative. Quite possible the light comes on for Patrick. Quite possible Tony P has a monster senior year. Very possible Pe Sandford becomes a big star. I don't know why people are down on Bowen because he didn't have a great freshman year. A lot of good players need a year to adjust. On the other hand, confidence in Dix is and should be high. Personally, I think he could become a big volume scorer. Great shooter, good ball handler, hustles on D.

Any of the 4 freshmen could find a significant role. Pr Sandford is a good shooter, that'll get you some time. Owen and Ladji are not just big, but both appear to have some real game ready skills. He might be small, but I think Harding is going to a very good player.

Some of the questions will have a good answer. Others won't. But even with Iowa's bad luck some things will work out well. Let us all hope we get enough good answers to qualify for the NCAAs.

I'm thinking Iowa has 11 Big Ten wins gets a 9 or 10 seed, and probably doesn't get to the Sweet 16.

Last edited:
Iowa basketball really gets no respect from the national media. Weren't we picked 7-9 last season. While this is the first time in 5 seasons that we have more questions going in than answers, there is no reason to assume the answers will all be negative. Quite possible the light comes on for Patrick. Quite possible Tony P has a monster senior year. Very possible Pe Sandford becomes a big star. I don't know why people are down on Bowen because he didn't have a great freshman year. A lot of good players need a year to adjust. On the other hand, confidence in Dix is and should be high. Personally, I think he could become a big volume scorer. Great shooter, good ball handler, hustles on D.

Any of the 4 freshmen could find a significant role. Pr Sandford is a good shooter, that'll get you some time. Owen and Ladji are not just big, but both appear to have some real game ready skills. He might be small, but I think Harding is going to a very good player.

Some of the questions will have a good answer. Others won't. But even with Iowa's bad luck some things will work out well. Let us all hope we get enough good answers.

I'm thinking Iowa has 11 Big Ten wins gets a 9 or 10 seed, and probably doesn't get to the Sweet 16, although not impossible, very unlikely.
People are down on Bowen because he played completely out of control at times and Fran will yank point guards who turn the ball over too much. He couldn't finish at the rim either (nor could Ulis for that matter). They would make their decision to attack the rim, lose sight of it, and throw up wild shots over their shoulder or whatever with crazy spin on them that had no chance of going in.

I think Dix could be a real sleeper now that he's had a full year to recover physically from the horrific injury he had in high school. But we've seen examples of how leg problems from horrible high school injuries can dog a player throughout his college career (Cordell Pemsl). If healthy, though, he potentially brings a more rounded game to the table than Peyton which could be critical with no Murray twins to demand the defenses attention.

Also (and this concerns Desonte and Josh). Iowa players in the Fran era have a long history of struggling as sophomores. Not all of them, but enough to notice the pattern. Peyton for much of last year was the latest example. Bowen and Dix are both sophomores.

I wouldn't count on him doing anything. He has had his chance. He couldn't beat out a terrible point last year. I'm betting on PG by committee unless the freshman from Illinois takes the job and runs with it.
I wouldn't consider last yr 'his chance'. He was a true freshman that hadn't seen the inside of a weight room yet. With multiple upper classmen ahead of him. Not every kid is a finished product day 1 on campus. Far from it. Garza and the Murrays for exibits A. East coast kid away from home for the first time. He got his yr to get a feel for what BIG hoops is all about mostly from the bench but now he's going to be competing for mins. Now he may or may not be ready still yet. But I'm reserving judgment till we see him out there some this yr.

If Patrick settles down and plays to his potential which we have all seen, that will take some attention away
from Peyton

Patrick and Sandfort have to be guarded closely because of thier Three Threat

If TonyP plays as he is capable of, on a consistent basis, he will also demand attention

We need another threat to take in inside on the run in traffic like Perkins

Josh Dix is the player we need to step up, if he starts nailing threes like last season and he shoots
without hesitatin, that will be a Huge Factor

A lot depends on the lads ,having learned from actual game experience, and continue to improve

When Bowen, Freeman, Pryce and Ladji start to contribute and are effective off the bench we will be
a dangerous team, and will accomplich a few upsets

Can't wait for the season to start

:cool:
Me either. I'm just looking forward to hoops. Even if they aren't going to be in the top half of the league I'm ok with that. My expectations aren't all that high I just want to see em play fast hard and entertain me. The football season has me jaded.

Me either. I'm just looking forward to hoops. Even if they aren't going to be in the top half of the league I'm ok with that. My expectations aren't all that high I just want to see em play fast hard and entertain me. The football season has me jaded.

Yeah, on pins and needles waiting for the first televised game

Love to watch the Hawks, for one reason, I like to see the homegrown players excel

Waiting anxiously for the debut of Brock Harding and Owen Freeman

Iowa Basketball Recruiting - Black Heart Gold Pants

Brock Harding Commits to Iowa Basketball - Sports Illustrated Iowa Hawkeyes  News, Analysis and More

Damn, couldn't find a smaller image

Last edited:

Latest posts